Best Damn 30-06 Build!

tward1604

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
USA
OK that is just what I named the folder in my phone and being my first rifle build it is my best so far. This will be a journey and I look forward to any advice yall might have for me as I go. I'll share what I have so far. The stock blank is rough cut to shape and the hardwre has been soldered to the barrel. Tomorrow I'll start removing the extra solder and getting all the metal cleaned up. I'm not looking forward to stripping the finish off my pre-64 model 70 action with naval jelly but thats what I keep hearing is the way.

Either way the Russell's Reserve has me carrying on so here are some pictures, Hopefully this doesn't turn in to a very expensive pile of trash and regrets!

IMG_3610.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg
IMG_3969.jpg
IMG_4480.jpg
IMG_4481.jpg
IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4669.jpg
IMG_4670.jpg
IMG_4671.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I didn’t have as much time on the rifle as I’d liked but I did start chiseling away at some of the extra solder around the quarter rib.

Chisel some solder, sharpen the bread chisel rinse and repeat until the extra is gone.

1788F2EE-3C89-4CB7-AF1F-5864F5B34F34.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am offended (I kid). This will be rust blued metal and hand rubbed wood finish. I have a feeling I’ll be doing solder removal and metal prep for the majority of the week I’d imagine. So far there is nothing quick cleaning up the solder and since I used the “P = plenty” formula, there is plenty to clean up!

Then I can start the inletting process.

I figured you would rust blue based on all the work getting the irons on and the solder cleaned up. But some folks have surprised me with the baked on finishes. Look forward to watching your build. I am guilty of using the "P formula" on more than one or two occasions.

That is a fantastic looking piece of timber, and should turn out to be a spectacular rifle. Thanks for sharing your build with us!

Tomorrow I'll start removing the extra solder and getting all the metal cleaned up. I'm not looking forward to stripping the finish off my pre-64 model 70 action with naval jelly but thats what I keep hearing is the way.
Just be happy they haven't banned the jelly. Up here, Trudeau has banned WD-40!

I struggle to understand how we elect these Woke left wing fools that are destroying our way of life ,
in the USA , Australia, Canada , UK & NZ,we need to deelect them ASAP. Great looking parts for your 30/06 build like to see the finished product, have a look at Mark Lees express rust blue solution Brownells sell it, & it works very well .

Seriously? Can he even do that?
They did it in California first. He is also banning brake cleaner, and something else. Anything with VOCs high enough. It is his enviro and energy minister, who used to be in Greenpeace.

They did it in California first. He is also banning brake cleaner, and something else. Anything with VOCs high enough. It is his enviro and energy minister, who used to be in Greenpeace.
Bit like Hotel California i.e., they never leave Greenpeace!

Looks like you have some good bones to start with. I especially like the blank you have chosen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaHo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob