Best Classic Plains Game and Cat Caliber Advise

@Capt.Jim - Welcome to AH.

416 doesn't have the range!
416RM (100 yard zero) has 2.5" of drop at 150 yards and 7.5" at 200 yards. Your PH is unlikely to green light you for shots beyond that distance. 200 yards is more range than you are likely to need.

I'm leaning towards 6.5X300 Weatherby Mag..
If you check the ballistics and hand load using a 156 grain Burger it's the passes to 300 win mag...
The 6.5-300WBY is a fine cartridge but again, most hunting in Africa is done at less than 100 yards so the ballistic advantages are negated. Especially Leopard that are normally shot at less than 50 yards from a blind and need a quick opening bullet at modest speeds.

Pronghorn Antelope in Wyoming with a minimum range of 200 yards - the 6.5-300WBY is the right tool for the job. Will it work in Africa? Absolutely. All I'm saying is that you don't need the latest/greatest/fastest for Africa. A regular old 30-06 and a 375H&H is all you are ever likely to need as a visiting client hunter.

.300 H&H if legal for leopard. Otherwise, .375 H&H.

I'm leaning towards 6.5X300 Weatherby Mag..
If you check the ballistics and hand load using a 156 grain Burger it's the passes to 300 win mag...
Probably one of the worse choices I have seen in a long time especially for African plains game and cats.... unless you want to shoot a African wildcat at 800 yards....
300 WM/300 H&H as a starting point 338 would be great and of course the 375 H&H will do it all.
But a 6.5 Manbun x10 in a wannaby would never make the grade apart from being illegal for use on most plainsgame and definately a nono on lion and leopard.....

Probably one of the worse choices I have seen in a long time especially for African plains game and cats.... unless you want to shoot a African wildcat at 800 yards....
300 WM/300 H&H as a starting point 338 would be great and of course the 375 H&H will do it all.
But a 6.5 Manbun x10 in a wannaby would never make the grade apart from being illegal for use on most plainsgame and definately a nono on lion and leopard.....
You need to consider the availability of .300 Weatherby Mag versus .300 Win Mag which dis readily available in almost all African countries.

You need to consider the availability of .300 Weatherby Mag versus .300 Win Mag which dis readily available in almost all African countries.
No shit sherlock...who is talking about 300 Weatherby???

I’m currently building a 404 Jeffery and an 8x68 on left hand Zastava actions. 8x68 is versatile and traditional. I also have a 257 roberts custom on a short action Montana 1999. Next will be a 7x64 and I’ll have nearly everything covered.
Do you drive a black Trans Am? Lol

I’m currently building a 404 Jeffery and an 8x68 on left hand Zastava actions. 8x68 is versatile and traditional. I also have a 257 roberts custom on a short action Montana 1999. Next will be a 7x64 and I’ll have nearly everything covered.
You sir or a man of excellent taste and I'm guessing superior quality Moustache.

I myself have a 257 Roberts on an FN Commercial, a 7x64 on a Mausingfield and a 404 Jeff also on an FN Commercial. Where I differ is a 9.3x62 instead of a 8x64...

You sir or a man of excellent taste and I'm guessing superior quality Moustache.

I myself have a 257 Roberts on an FN Commercial, a 7x64 on a Mausingfield and a 404 Jeff also on an FN Commercial. Where I differ is a 9.3x62 instead of a 8x64...
29A6EAE8-F6D9-46BB-B84B-D1E6DE7747EA.jpeg
My 9.3x62. what the mausingfield likeCompared to a custom FN?

I'd go .375 H&H for the plains game and cats (I think .375 might be the minimum for lions or leopards in many African countries)

If there wasn't minimums for the dangerous cats, then .300 H&H for plains game (or .300 Weatherby or .300 Win - if you didn't want to be turn-of-the 20th century traditional). Nothing wrong with the good ole .30/06, if you don't think it is too common for your taste in this project.

.300 H&H and you can't go wrong. Load it with a light, soft projectile for cats eg 150 grain and a 165/180 for everything else. (you'll have time to re-zero).

Optics, Optic, Optics. Top with high end, 2.5-10 German glass.

Last edited:
I'd go .375 H&H for the plains game and cats (I think .375 might be the minimum for lions or leopards in many African countries)
For cats 7mm or .300 caliber, where it is defined, I believe in most African countries. Personally, I'd want to go 9.3 or bigger for lion, leopard .308 would work. However, after the shot if tracking needed I'd want a big bore loaded with softs.

My PH and I had discussed it for my leopard hunt. I had the scoped 9.3x74R for the shot and also had the .500 NE in the blind for the stalk if needed. Being a lefty I would be on his left as we moved. Not needed as it was DRT after the shot.

For cats 7mm or .300 caliber, where it is defined, I believe in most African countries. Personally, I'd want to go 9.3 or bigger for lion, leopard .308 would work. However, after the shot if tracking needed I'd want a big bore loaded with softs.

My PH and I had discussed it for my leopard hunt. I had the scoped 9.3x74R for the shot and also had the .500 NE in the blind for the stalk if needed. Being a lefty I would be on his left as we moved. Not needed as it was DRT after the shot.

@Tanks could you explain why as a lefty you would be walking on the left of the PH? Picturing this in my mind, a lefty should be on the right and a righty on the left of the PH. For no other reason than that your barrels will naturally point more away from the PH.

Or am I missing something?

@Tanks could you explain why as a lefty you would be walking on the left of the PH? Picturing this in my mind, a lefty should be on the right and a righty on the left of the PH. For no other reason than that your barrels will naturally point more away from the PH.

I would think lefty on the left to avoid bumping elbows and throwing off aim.

Hopefully the PH...

I believe in a couple countries the dangerous game limits is 338 a caliber that as killer both lion and leopard before but is better to stick to the 375 for safety

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg