Best Caliber for Tiny 10?

If we had the shot well, base of the neck, the animal remains in place.
With respect, that is nonsense. I shoot a .338 a lot. Shoot a 5-10 Kg animal in the neck with a 200 gr bullet from a .338 inside 100 meters (probably closer to 50 meters) and the body will indeed stay in place - but the head will be 30 meters away and the neck will have disintegrated.

Last edited:
Exactly .... I hunt for meat ... my head is useless. And in case of hunting for the trophy ... I do not think it will be damaged ... but most importantly, death is almost instantaneous.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are small, soft-skinned animals ... with a good reload, using a 200-grain tip at low speed, the bullet will pierce the animal's neck, minimal damage ... The big mistake in fast magnum gauges is that high speed ... by lowering it, no further damage occurs.
It would be best to use 250 grain tips at 2200-2300 ft / sec.

Exactly .... I hunt for meat ... my head is useless. And in case of hunting for the trophy ... I do not think it will be damaged ... but most importantly, death is almost instantaneous.
Well certainly if you are hunting for meat. Use a 300 Wby Magnum, .338 Win Mag, whatever and shoot them all in the head.

But we are talking about the tiny ten in Africa. We are talking about making the investment of going to another continent, contracting for a safari, and paying the trophy fee for an Oribi, or Suni, or whatever. If we are doing that, then the we are likely looking to do something more with the animal than merely throw it in a frying pan. If you shoot these small animals in the base of the neck with a large caliber, regardless of bullet speed, you will destroy any opportunity to take home a memory of the hunt. I wouldn't even want to photograph the results.

Bueno, ciertamente si estás buscando carne. Usa un 300 Wby Magnum, .338 Win Mag, lo que sea y dispara a todos en la cabeza.

Pero estamos hablando de los diez pequeños en África. Estamos hablando de hacer la inversión de ir a otro continente, contratar un safari y pagar la tarifa del trofeo por un Oribi, o Suni, o lo que sea. Si lo hacemos, es probable que busquemos hacer algo más con el animal que simplemente tirarlo a una sartén. Si disparas a estos pequeños animales en la base del cuello con un gran calibre, independientemente de la velocidad de la bala, destruirás cualquier oportunidad de llevarte a casa un recuerdo de la caza. Ni siquiera quisiera fotografiar los resultados.

One of the hunting rules I have, wherever I hunt, is what I hunt I eat. You will never hunt or hunt an animal for a trophy or a souvenir ... I repeat a .338 bullet at low speed does not cause great damage.

Those that have recommended a .375 or similar caliber and ballistics with solids are providing good information, especially without taking an additional rifle.

A shotgun using 4's or 2's is great for most tiny ten. I have taken a number of dik dik and duikers with a shotgun. Your ph probably can let you use his for a small stipend.

If you want a rifle specific for the tiny ten that is not a large caliber, a scoped 22 lr, 22 mag or 22 hornet would be a fun option without doing too much damage. If you reload, keep the speed on the slower side. If you start using the hot .22's you will start blowing the animals apart. I can attest that a 220 Swift is a fun rifle to have in Africa, but it is way to fast if you are wanting taxidermy done.

One thing to consider before trying a .338 mag at 2200 fps is that downloading has been known to be dangerous in some rifles/calibers. Better by far to use the solid and shoot mid body.
Bruce

For the most part these small animals have very short necks, a shot at the base of the neck, a well placed shot, it will kill the animal instantly. And they could take the memory ...

Good clarification to take into account.

Using ONLY my knowledge of results on rabbit to coyote sized game here in the states, I would think either a .204 Ruger or .223 Rem could be great options. I'd stick with HPs or soft points, as the ballistic tips at high speeds can really explode the exit hole. But I have barely seen, let alone chased, any of the tiny 10, so I'll end by saying you shouldnt give my opinion much weight for this particular subject

For the most part these small animals have very short necks, a shot at the base of the neck, a well placed shot, it will kill the animal instantly. And they could take the memory ...
@JLF - you are simply wrong in your assumptions about these animals. Have you actually seen them? Where do you get the notion they have short necks? A Suni, dik dik, oribi, or blue duiker are extraordinarily delicate animals with not merely small, but tiny proportions - particularly their necks. Most would be decapitated by almost anything bigger than a .22 Hornet. This is not an opinion.

But look, if you want to make the investment to go to Africa and shoot a Suni in the neck with a heavy caliber rifle, by all means do so. I would suggest actually observing the result before making a recommendation.

@JLF: simplemente estás equivocado en tus suposiciones sobre estos animales. ¿Realmente los has visto? ¿De dónde sacas la idea de que tienen cuellos cortos? Un Suni, un dik dik, un oribi o un duiker azul son animales extraordinariamente delicados con proporciones no solo pequeñas, sino también pequeñas, en particular sus cuellos. La mayoría sería decapitada por casi cualquier cosa más grande que un Hornet .22. Esto no es una opinión.

Pero mira, si quieres hacer la inversión para ir a África y dispararle a un Suni en el cuello con un rifle de gran calibre, hazlo. Sugeriría realmente observar el resultado antes de hacer una recomendación.

I would never hunt one of those animals ... I am only interested in an impala ... no more than a single impala ... that is going to be my hunt in Africa.

@JLF - you are simply wrong in your assumptions about these animals. Have you actually seen them? Where do you get the notion they have short necks? A Suni, dik dik, oribi, or blue duiker are extraordinarily delicate animals with not merely small, but tiny proportions - particularly their necks. Most would be decapitated by almost anything bigger than a .22 Hornet. This is not an opinion.

But look, if you want to make the investment to go to Africa and shoot a Suni in the neck with a heavy caliber rifle, by all means do so. I would suggest actually observing the result before making a recommendation.

@JLF: simplemente estás equivocado en tus suposiciones sobre estos animales. ¿Realmente los has visto? ¿De dónde sacas la idea de que tienen cuellos cortos? Un Suni, un dik dik, un oribi o un duiker azul son animales extraordinariamente delicados con proporciones no solo pequeñas, sino también pequeñas, en particular sus cuellos. La mayoría sería decapitada por casi cualquier cosa más grande que un Hornet .22. Esto no es una opinión.

Pero mira, si quieres hacer la inversión para ir a África y dispararle a un Suni en el cuello con un rifle de gran calibre, hazlo. Sugeriría realmente observar el resultado antes de hacer una recomendación.
The Dik Dik weighs no more than 3-5 Kg depending upon subspecies.
tiny ten4.jpg

The Suni weighs no more than 4.5 - 5.4 Kg.
tiny ten.jpg

The Oribi is somewhat larger and weighs up to 14 Kg
tiny ten3.jpg

So which of these animals has a "short thick neck" that would be a great target for a heavy caliber rifle?

Last edited:
Maybe I express myself badly or my English is not so good ... I didn't say all of them I said mostly, 7 out of 10 or 6 out of 10 are mostly ... can I explain myself well?

I said for the most part and not all ..

The Dik Dik weighs no more than 3-5 Kg depending upon subspecies.
View attachment 360672
The Suni weighs no more than 4.5 - 5.4 Kg.
View attachment 360673
The Oribi is somewhat larger and weighs up to 14 Kg
View attachment 360674
So which of these animals has a "thick neck" that would be a great target for a heavy caliber rifle?

Didn’t realize they were that small...tiny is the appropriate adjective....solids for sure and would think a standard action over a magnum if possible....I know you said a 9.3x62 with solids would work well but maybe a 308 with solids would be even better? Some of those animals are the size of a newborn white tail fawn, maybe a bit smaller. Not sure I’d hunt any of those three but I’d take your advise if I did.

Maybe I express myself badly or my English is not so good ... I didn't say all of them I said mostly, 7 out of 10 or 6 out of 10 are mostly ... can I explain myself well?
The remaining seven. None of these small animals are good candidates for neck shots with a large caliber rifle regardless of bullet type or speed.

Common Duiker 12-22 Kg
tiny 10 common.jpg

Klipspringer 8-18 Kg
tiny 10 klip.jpg

Red Duiker 8-12 Kg
tiny 10 red2.jpg

Cape Grysbok 8-10 Kg
tiny 10 cape grysb.jpg

Sharpe's Grysbok 8-11,5 Kg
tiny 10 sharpe's.jpg

Steenbok 12 Kg
tiny 10 steen.jpg

Blue Duiker 4-8.5 Kg
tiny 10 blue.jpg

It depends on who is behind the rifle ....
Now I understand. I regret engaging in this dialogue.

But whoever is behind the rifle is not really the issue.

That is the point I am trying to make. You, anyone, may well be the finest marksman on this forum, but shooting these animals requires a great deal of care and a lot of thought with regard to bullet, caliber, and bullet placement. Attempting to shoot such tiny animals in the neck is a prescription for a destroyed trophy. If that doesn't matter to you and you want to pay the trophy fee for decapitated animals - do so.

Most here see such an investment very differently.

Ahora entiendo. Lamento participar en este diálogo.

Pero quien está detrás del rifle no es realmente el problema.

Ese es el punto que estoy tratando de hacer. Usted, cualquiera, puede ser el mejor tirador en este foro, pero disparar a estos animales requiere mucho cuidado y mucha atención con respecto a la bala, el calibre y la colocación de la bala. Intentar disparar a estos animales tan pequeños en el cuello es una receta para un trofeo destruido. Si eso no le importa y desea pagar la tarifa de trofeo para los animales decapitados, hágalo.

La mayoría aquí ve esa inversión de manera muy diferente.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.