Best bullets for plains game

Over the.last 10 years or so I've been using Nosler AccuBonds. Mule deer, blscktail, black bear, bull moose, nyala, waterbuck, bushbuck, impala have all died quickly. Never have recovered a single bullet. In Africa I even told the skinners that I would pay $5 for a recovered bullet. All bullets seemed to upset quickly then continued to pass through even at fairly sharp angles. I will keep using them. They've also been easier to buy than some of the others mentioned.
@Doug Hamilton
I to like the accubonds in the 35 Whelen and the 308 win. They worked very well and I only retrieved on and that was after 5 foot of penetration from the front to to the ham of a kudu bull.
The Woodleigh projectiles are every bit as good if not a bit better as they make heavier for caliber projectiles as well.
One bullet that did amaze me was the good old 250gr Hornady round nose in the Whelen driven at 2,680fps. That bullet punched clear thru a big oryx bull and left a golf ball size hole on the way out. Range was around 120 yards.
Bob

LTD/ Continental behemoths
In my teens, my mother had a 72 Ford LTD. My buddies loved it because we could load 8 or 9 of us and go to the movies in one car. We all joked it would carry 10 or sleep 6 comfortably. Maybe for that reason she never allowed me to drive it on a date!

:A Quiet: :E Happy:

Whatever premium bullet shoots accurately (groups the best) through your rifle.

Today, there are a large number of bullets with excellent performance. However, bullet placement is still the single most important factor.

@Rick HOlbert
All the buffalo died of old age mate, cast bullets had nothing to do with it. It's a vicious rumour started by the flat earth crowd.
Seriously cast bullets are a good alternative I would love to be able to get hold of some of the 35 cal ones from Montana bullet works . The mid and heavyweights with that nice big flat meplat would work a treat and make for some nice cheap shooting.
Bob
You're right Bob. He latest research is showing that most of the millions of bison that died out on the 1870's died of diseases that were introduced by the domestic cattle hat were spread across the western states. Not that the commercial slaughter helped any, but sport hunters have been taking the blame for this for far too long.
Doug

I use Sierra Gameking bullets out of

6.5*284
300 wm
375 Ruger

All did the job especially when the bullet is put in the ”right place”.

@Rick HOlbert
All the buffalo died of old age mate, cast bullets had nothing to do with it. It's a vicious rumour started by the flat earth crowd.
Seriously cast bullets are a good alternative I would love to be able to get hold of some of the 35 cal ones from Montana bullet works . The mid and heavyweights with that nice big flat meplat would work a treat and make for some nice cheap shooting.
Bob
Bob old friend you are 100% correct. Cast bullets work very well on game and much cheaper to shoot.

165gr Federal Bonded Tip in .308 and 300WM. On our trip to South Africa last year we took 15 animals with this bullet, all were quick, clean kills. Everything from Springbok and Bushbuck up to Waterbuck and Kudu. We were able to recover several bullets, all expanded nicely and were intact.

I have very limited experience but, you constantly hear these names in frequency order:

- Barnes TTSX
- Nosler Ballistic Tip/Accubond
- Berger

I would really feel that Hornady in something like the Precision Hunter line or CX would be absolutely up to the task as well. The Hornady line has impressed me quite a bit. These two wild pigs fell to one shot, at 75 yds, of 44 mag Custom 200gr XTP shot from a Ruger 10/99. The one in the front had a baseball sized hole where the spine was. Shot entered just behind the ear as intended. The bullet then passed through like a freight train and stoned the lighter colored pig dead in it's tracks, behind the front pig, as well. The blood is actually the blood spray from the exit on the pig in the front. Seeing that type of performance really just makes me feel like they too are well designed ammo.

IMG_3776.jpg

Swift Scirocco and A-frame. Shortly followed by Woodleigh Protected point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.