Best All-Round Rifle?

What Is A Better All-Round Rifle? (In Your Opinion)

• Total voters
The .270 WSM is a little more faster flatter than the .270 Win.

I would not buy one their popularity is going down hill fast.

Sestoppelman - recoil isn't a prob, I have shot with my dad's .375 and it's totally fine for me. The AimZonic Predator silencer takes a lot of the recoil away anyways! (y) Just a question about barrel twist - 1:14 vs 1:10 - which is better? Does it make a big difference? And the barrel length? Thanks!;)
If we are still talking about the .270, standard twist is 1-10, 14 would be OK for the lighter bullets buy why do that? The 10 inch will handle all weights that one would use on big game.

I would get a 30-06 as it is a little more flexible then a 270 for very extra little more recoil. Also can be loaded up with a much heavier projectile for larger game or lighter projectile to match the ballistics of even a 243.

If you can handle the .375 without a flinch and shoot it as well as a much smaller rifle then perhaps you should consider a .30 caliber of some sort.

I don't believe in "too much gun." My .375 was great on my Grysbok. If you are worried about meat loss be careful of the type of shot you take.

To me, the difference between the magnums and the non is what your effective range is. So in your example it just means that the wsm can do the same job further out than the .270. I'm simplifying, but it isn't too far off.

If you're looking for one rifle to "do it all" I've chosen the .30/06. It can handle any non-dangerous game out there. That being said, this is all part of the fun! Arguing what is best and trying different rifles. I LOVE my 06, but I'm trying to decide between .300 or .270 win for my next rifle, or should I just go with the plain win mag??? :)

P.S. I also want a 1000 yard gun. That is a complately different rifle in my opinion!

If you can handle the .375 without a flinch and shoot it as well as a much smaller rifle then perhaps you should consider a .30 caliber of some sort.

I don't believe in "too much gun." My .375 was great on my Grysbok. If you are worried about meat loss be careful of the type of shot you take.

To me, the difference between the magnums and the non is what your effective range is. So in your example it just means that the wsm can do the same job further out than the .270. I'm simplifying, but it isn't too far off.

If you're looking for one rifle to "do it all" I've chosen the .30/06. It can handle any non-dangerous game out there. That being said, this is all part of the fun! Arguing what is best and trying different rifles. I LOVE my 06, but I'm trying to decide between .300 or .270 win for my next rifle, or should I just go with the plain win mag??? :)

P.S. I also want a 1000 yard gun. That is a complately different rifle in my opinion!
Depending on how serious you are about 1000yd shooting, remember the Wimbledon Cup was won one year (many years ago!) with a .300 H&H magnum, a classic.

Depending on how serious you are about 1000yd shooting, remember the Wimbledon Cup was won one year (many years ago!) with a .300 H&H magnum, a classic.

Not serious at all, yet. But one day I'd love to do F class. :)

Ruan,
I do hope you are realizing you should take this advice as being worth what you are paying for it! Mine at least;)

Seriously, nothing wrong with any of the advise so far but try to remain practical as well. The 243 or a 223 is used in africa by culling operators. But they are commercially harvesting meat and making head shots with spot lights at night. Very different than sport hunting.

To add to the good points already made, if you stay with good old standards like the 270, 7 x57, 7 mm mag, 30-06, 300 win mag... You should always find ammo and components available.

I love the 6.5 creedmoor, it is a very fun, effective and interesting caliber with an increasing variety of bullets available in good useful weights. It is practical enough in the States, but not sure if it is for you in Africa.

Bob

Hey we forgot the brand spanking new 26 Nosler! How would that be for a 1000 yard caliber?

Thanks for all the info! I am definitely looking at the other rifles suggested now, too! (y)

Thanks,

..why not just be special right from the start and get yourself a .300 H+H..? The obvious move from there will be to your custom .404 Jeffery.. ;)

its well known that the best all around rifle cartridge for Africa is the 375 H&H.

if not wanting that, the 7x57 and 6.5x55 are great classic options. the 300 H&H is also very popular on this forum but i personally dont know any thing about it.

if your into fancy modern magnums then then 7mm RM or the 300 WM are popular cartridges that will do just about anything you ask of them.

-matt

My first rifle was a Rem BDL in 243. I loved it. I hunted deer, black bear and even got two elk with it. Then I moved up to a 270 because I was guiding in grizzly country, another Rem 700 BDL. I owned that rifle for 35 years until I gave it to my son and he loves it. Go with the 270. You can shoot varmints with it (Sierra 90g HPBTs at 3400 fps) or elk with 150g Nosler Partitions at 2900 fps. If recoil is an issue for you at first, there are reduced velocity loads for the 130g bullets that are fine for deer sized animals that will kick no more than a 243.

My first rifle was a Rem BDL in 243. I loved it. I hunted deer, black bear and even got two elk with it. Then I moved up to a 270 because I was guiding in grizzly country, another Rem 700 BDL. I owned that rifle for 35 years until I gave it to my son and he loves it. Go with the 270. You can shoot varmints with it (Sierra 90g HPBTs at 3400 fps) or elk with 150g Nosler Partitions at 2900 fps. If recoil is an issue for you at first, there are reduced velocity loads for the 130g bullets that are fine for deer sized animals that will kick no more than a 243.

Whew....

Thought you were going to try and talk Ruin into a .505 Gibbs!!!

Nah, he should wait until he's 18 for that lol! Though he did say recoil wasn't a problem ... :)

the 505 Gibbs doesnt have the range hes looking for. what he needs is a 460 weatherby, a 500gr Barnes TSX (.412 BC) at 2600+ fps is well suited for those long shots! :D

-matt

Stay on topic, for Deer and antelope sized animals, 250 lbs and less 250 yds or less (99% of our real life hunting) no difference between the two. I am a huge fan of both.
Throw elk/caribou/moose/bear into the picture and 270 MINIMUM. Not that a 243 won't, but 130 is 30% more than 100, meaning the punch factor.
I LOVE my 243 for deer, I use a 7mm rem Mag as my everything rifle, my son used a 270 on our last (so far only, aka FIRST) safari and I am very impressed with it!! Even more so when I actually shot my handloads over a chrono,
All around cartridge? 270, or '06. save the money for trophy fees and tips!

Ruan, I have a .270 and a 30-06. You would do well with either. The 270 will be more comfortable to shoot as it doesnt recoil as much as the 30-06. It is also flatter shooting at range. My Father took both Elk and Moose with his 270. If I was going to buy a new rifle I would look first at the Thompson Center Venture and then the Ruger American rifle. Both of these rifles are very accurate out of the box. The Venture is very accurate and very well made. I havent shot the Ruger American Rifle but have heard good things about it. You can also buy either rifle with a scope already installed.

Ruan,
out of the two you are already looking at, 243 win and 270 win, i would recommend the 270 win.
the 243 is a super round, but as you are growing and hunting more, if you get the 243 within a year or so you will wish you had gone for something with a little more versatility.

if you are open to suggestions, i would recommend you include a 308 and 30-06 as possible choices.
Both will be easy to handle recoil wise and will extend your hunt options over the 270win.
I am a fan of the 7x57 and 7x64 calibers, they are more than suitable for everything you will hunt up to when the 375 is required (by law).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg