Beretta 92FS

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
My son just took his restricted (RPAL) course (Canada) and has his sights (pardon the pun) on a Beretta 92FS as his first handgun. He has
considerable experience shooting my Glock 17 and Smith and Wesson 686 and really likes the 9mm cartridge.
What are your thoughts on the Beretta 92FS as a first handgun?

My son just took his restricted (RPAL) course (Canada) and has his sights (pardon the pun) on a Beretta 92FS as his first handgun. He has
considerable experience shooting my Glock 17 and Smith and Wesson 686 and really likes the 9mm cartridge.
What are your thoughts on the Beretta 92FS as a first handgun?
It doesn't sound like your son is new to handguns so I think this should be a good choice. I own two of them and I like them. They complement my Beretta CX4 Storm carbine which takes the same magazine.

It wasn't my first handgun but I found it very easy to shoot. I found a firm grip is required otherwise you will get a tendency to stovepipe; I have other handguns that act that way as well. I like the fact is has a manual de-cock. The sight picture on my pair is to cover the desired point of impact with the center dot like this:

Capture.JPG

They are full sized handguns so carry is a bit more difficult than say a SIG P229.

One of my two 92FS's is outfitted with a laser in the grip and is one of my self defense firearms.

As with any firearm practice practice practice.

The only thing I don’t like about the 92fs is the safety. I wish they would have just done a decocker. However you can use it as a decocker.
However this is just a minor detail.

Thousands upon thousands of rounds had been fired through them by service members around the world. Ross at the Mid South Combat Shooting Course used to teach with one. I would invest in a better quality locking block and brigadier slide if I had to rely on the pistol for self defense. I think the Beretta is more than sufficient.

The Beretta 92 FS is an excellent pistol . When I was in the South African military I shot a lot with the 92 and competed in many competitions with it . They are high quality , accurate and reliable pistols . The only issue I had with the design is that I prefer the traditional "cocked and locked" frame mounted type safety like the older Mod 92 / CZ 75 / Browning HP . As a first pistol it is a great choice , the only downside would be as has been stated above is that if was to be used as an EDC pistol it is a bit heavy and bulky if compared to pistols like the Glock , but if one is prepared to carry such a pistol then it is a personal choice . My father is 84 years old and his EDC is a Beretta mod 92 and he has it on his side every day .
If your son likes the 92 then he cannot go wrong with getting one .

Would always get an 92G instead of the F or FS

92FS was my first handgun, I carried it for a few months before switching to a Glock 19. I still like it at the shooting range, but for carrying I prioritize simplicity, capacity, light weight, and small size. The gun you carry is better than the one you leave behind because it’s uncomfortable. Also, personally the different DA/SA trigger pulls wasn’t something I wanted to deal with in a stressful situation.

92FS was my first handgun, I carried it for a few months before switching to a Glock 19. I still like it at the shooting range, but for carrying I prioritize simplicity, capacity, light weight, and small size. The gun you carry is better than the one you leave behind because it’s uncomfortable. Also, personally the different DA/SA trigger pulls wasn’t something I wanted to deal with in a stressful situation.
Sense this post was made Canada has placed a freeze on handgun sale / transfers so I doubt the op is following this thread

IME...Forget the Beretta and buy a Taurus.

Before Beretta received military contracts they were very good. After Beretta received military contracts their QC and accuracy went to Hell. I proved this many times on qualification courses. On a couple of occasions loaned my Taurus 92 out so teammates could qualify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeredithSt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.