Benelli Lupo

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Evening All,

As some of you already know I hunt alot of pigs on crop paddocks in Australia, my primary rifle for this work and hunting pigs in general in Australia is a Ruger Guide Gun chambered in 30-06 topped with a Leupold VX1 2-7 scope. In the last 5 years or so I have taken around 600 pigs with this rifle it has served me well and I am sure will continue to do its job well for I'm hoping another 5-10 years (I'm guessing by this time it will be fairly well flogged out and in need of replacing).

However with the 2-7 scope I must admit I am struggling at the longer ranges 200 metres and beyond so I finally decided to commit some funds dedicated to something setup specifically for longer ranges, well what I call longer ranges anyway. I am a sucker for CRF so the rifles I considered were the Ruger Guide Gun again and the Winchester M70 Extreme weather. Unfortunately new rifles are hard to come by here in Australia, you my American brethren keep buying them all up so I had to look at other options.

In my search I stumbled across the Benelli Lupo, Benelli's first attempt at a bolt action hunting rifle. So far in my research I have not come across a single bad review, some positives- free floated barrel, sub MOA guarantee, a recoil pad actually designed to reduce felt recoil, adjustable trigger, adjustable stock, threaded barrel, 2 piece picatinny rail and the Benelli BE.S.T proprietary coating which has a 25 year warranty against rust and corrosion which is critical for me living in the tropics.

Yep it is not a CRF rifle but I have decided to give it a go and ordered one chambered in 30-06 today, have also ordered a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 scope to top it off. I am going to test the *#%$ out of this rifle so I will let you know my thoughts once I have spent some time on the range and in the field with it.

Any thoughts and/or experience with the Benelli Lupo from others? I would love to hear what you have to say.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.06 PM.png
    732.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.08 PM.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.10 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.11 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.13 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.15 PM.png
    572.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.17 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.19 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.24 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 1.12.27 PM.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 118
They are a departure from what most of us would consider the "norm", but I can assure you when you start shooting it and recognize how much thought went into all the pieces to form the whole package you will be impressed. For pigs and rapid shooting you will appreciate the reduced angle bolt throw and progressive comfort recoil reduction. The triggers are spectacular and the repeatability of the crio barrels is second to none.

I've been a independent sales rep in the USA firearms industry, specifically representing Benelli USA for the last 15 years. I can say with all confidence that the Urbino Italy factory is one of if not the most technologically advanced engineering/manufacturing facility in the firearms industry. Beretta Holdings (they own all the Benelli USA Brands) has the resources and vast experience to do things others cannot.

Enjoy-

Had the Benelli for 3 days now, it's a shooter. Terrible conditions and shooting across the bonnet with a shooting bag, still put all 4 projectiles I tested under an inch at 100 meters, all handloads between 2900fps-3000fps. Then took it out for the afternoon and did some hunting, cleaned up a decent boar 80kgs on it's first outing using the Woodleighs.

Initial thoughts of the rifle, it's a bit light for me and the light profile barrel gets hot quick, having said that with the 3.5-10 scope I have on it the weight is not bad and the recoil pad is no joke, really works well.
Smooth bolt, flawless feeding, extraction and ejection.
Rifle feels well made, plenty of adjustability and plenty accurate.
So far I am very happy with it.

1652006240148.jpeg

1652006276074.jpeg

1652006307752.jpeg

1652006359597.jpeg

1652006394857.jpeg

1652006426524.jpeg

@Aussie_Hunter - I work for Benelli USA (brand manager for Chapuis and Uberti) and I can tell you that the Lupo is *the* most accurate hunting rifle I've ever come across. The chassis design plus whatever magic the Urbino factory has performed on that barrel make it scary good. All the writers to whom we've sent them out on loan want to keep them and I've yet to read a critical comment--even privately on email.

As a traditionalist, I of course have to play the part of the guy who loves to hate anything ultra-modern, and I constantly rib the Benelli brand manager that the classic rifles in my safe would never admit a Lupo as a new club member. But even I have been thinking of signing one out for myself.

No dog (or "wolf") in this fight, since it's not my brand and there's a healthy spirit of emulation between us four brand product managers, but if you ever shoot as well as the Lupo does out of the box, you can call yourself an amazing marksman.

I don’t have a Benelli Lupo but I have to comment on Benelli’s outstanding customer service. I have 2 Benelli M2’s, one in 20 gauge and one in 12 gauge. The stock on the 20 gauge started getting real sticky on a grouse hunt last September when the temperature was in the 90’s.
I emailed Benelli hoping for a response within a week and to my surprise I got a response within the hour. They replaced the stock but it took awhile because of supply chain issues but when I emailed them I always received a prompt response. I’ve received the replacement stock and forend in time to shoot skeet this summer to get tuned up for grouse this fall. Guess I should look at a Lupo for my next rifle.

I'm a big fan of Benelli and all of their firearms. I recently sold my SBE2 and upgraded to the SBE3.

The Lupo bolt action rifle they came out with looks to be really good although I've yet to do anymore than just handle it. I know that Franchi drew on the Benelli engineering (both belonging to Beretta Group) and came out with the Momentum rifle that is more budget friendly version. This is another one that I've not heard anything bad about either, except that it doesn't have all the nice touches that the Benelli has.

It's definitely the most accurate rifle straight out of the box I have ever owned, It will be coming out of the safe to do some more work out in the field this afternoon.

Aussie Hunter,
Thank you for posting the targets you shot with your Lupo. They are proof, not just BS.
Based on these I agree that you have an accurate rifle, good ammo, and can shoot well.
Though I prefer groups that are all touching in a round group, your groups are equal to my best groups with my 1953 Winchester M70 FW in .308 Winchester which also loosens up a bit after a few rounds. Since it is a hunting rifle and not a battle rifle or competition rifle, one shot is often all that is needed.

Lupo looks like a winner, so enjoy! Looking forward to seeing that rifle with a lot of dead game.

I handled one at the store and tried to like it. I love Benelli shotguns but the safety mechanism and just overall build quality felt cheap to me for the price point.

I handled one at the store and tried to like it. I love Benelli shotguns but the safety mechanism and just overall build quality felt cheap to me for the price point.
It definitely feels light and a bit plasticky, having said that tupperware guns are not usually my thing, I'm used to carrying a 450 Rigby around so anything is going to feel light and plasticky compared to that. The action and bolt feels really solid and well made to me, I'd like to see a slightly heavier barrel profile but again its designed to be a light weight hunting rifle.

Bought one in 300 win recently .recoil system is great! It actually works ! It’s not just a pad. Groups under an inch. I like guns who are new and improved . This one feels great in hand . Trigger,length of pull, cast , all are adjustable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg