Benedikt Winkler double

wislnwings

AH veteran
Joined
Jul 26, 2013
Messages
103
Reaction score
78
Location
Willow Spring, North Carolina
Media
5
I looked at a Benedikt Winkler double today. The rifle is in 30-06 and has claw mounts with a scope (which needs to be replaced). Do any of you double experts know anything about this builder? All I know is Austrian but I have no idea what the age of the rifle is. It is a heavily engraved boxlock with sideplates. The saleman made me a really good offer on it and I'm considering purchasing it as my first double. My biggest hang up is not knowing what the rifle is regulated for. Is there any way to know? There are so many possible 30-06 loads out there it seems like I'd be trying to find a needle in a haystack without something to go on. Any info you guys have I'd be interested in knowing before I try to convince my wife the we just NEED to add this to the safe.
 
Hello Wislnwings,

Benedikt Winkler built pretty sturdy "Continental" doubles, many in O/U configuration.
Box locks with side plates usually indicates a bit better fit and finish than a plain box lock.
But, I presume this one is a SxS or you would likely have mentioned it was O/U.
Just take off the barrels and look at the flat surfaces under the chambers.
There you will find what load it was regulated for.
Also, I have sometimes seen these load indicators rolled into the top or side of one of the the rifle chambers.

The powder charge will likely be in Cordite or Axite or some other no longer available powder and therefore, you can ignore it.
The bullet weight will be indicated by something like; "220 gr Ball" (round nose) or "150 gr Spitzer" (obviously pointed), etc.
With that, just try a box of common factory live ammunition, in whatever bullet weight is indicated on your rifle.
Likely it will regulate fairly well as such but if not, try some other brand with same weight / shape bullet.
Worse case scenario is that you might have to experiment with various bullet weights, not the one shown on the rifle - needle in a haystack - but not likely.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
 
If the barrels ring true, if it is on the face, and is as nice as you indicate, then there is a load which will regulate. Velo's recommendations are as close to a short cut as you will find. But you will find something that will work if you stay at it. Once you find the load, JJ Perodeau of Champlin Arms in Enid, OK can build you rings for your bases and so mount a different scope. Remember not to demand too much from the eventual load. Even with a scope, this rifle would have been built as a red deer and boar rifle for use inside 200 meters. A three-inch composite at 100 meters is more than adequate for minute of either.
 
What would be your intended game with a side by side 30-06? It's not big enough fir dangerous game.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,365
Messages
1,574,317
Members
170,007
Latest member
AndreasXsu
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top