Barnes or A frames for croc

Terrible picture , but this is how flat those primers are on the factory Hornady dgs rounds
2AECB430-17B3-44E6-B3B4-FC58F849B5C0.png

Can't tell from the primer when out of the case and at that angle. Flattened primers can mean things other than high pressure. However, combined with sticky bolt at 55'. Yep, sounds like excess pressure. Plus 4" groups is not quite good enough for croc and with the likely high pressure issue, I wouldn't not use that ammo to hunt anywhere! Your rifle does not like that ammo.

You need accurate ammo for crocs- heed what everyone is posting. You will likely have a blind or be prone after a sneak or have some kind of rest. May be a waiting game, hard to say. But you really need accuracy at maybe 100 yards or so. Otherwise swoosh gone hit or not never to be seen again. Try those factory TSXs for sure.

Both excellent bullets. Use the most accurate for croc.

I would NOT attempt to use the bullets you are going to use for buff unless they literally cloverleaf. Use dedicated bullets that are dead on and forget about the convenience of sharing buff loads!

Can't tell from the primer when out of the case and at that angle. Flattened primers can mean things other than high pressure. However, combined with sticky bolt at 55'. Yep, sounds like excess pressure. Plus 4" groups is not quite good enough for croc and with the likely high pressure issue, I wouldn't not use that ammo to hunt anywhere! Your rifle does not like that ammo.

You need accurate ammo for crocs- heed what everyone is posting. You will likely have a blind or be prone after a sneak or have some kind of rest. May be a waiting game, hard to say. But you really need accuracy at maybe 100 yards or so. Otherwise swoosh gone hit or not never to be seen again. Try those factory TSXs for sure.
I am limited on powder choices, but I will load 20 of Barnes and 20 of A frames soon and go from there . My ph sets his blinds at 60 meters max, and we will have some range time to double check zero at that specific distance. Hopefully this isn’t a science project on load development, I want to get off the bench and on the sticks as fast as possible.

971FFF1F-CEAA-4974-B948-84B0B9019246.jpeg

I used to like RWS TUGs. Today, I prefer the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

It’s all about shot placement on the croc. I shot one with a 280AI with a 175 grain partition and it never moved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!