Ballistic Tips

i used .270 140 gr nosler ballistic tips extensively when i lived on a plantation in georgia in the late 90's mostly to cull does. Most shots were longer range and in the upper cervical/ throat patch region to conserve meat. Devastating results, but i prefer a more predictiable outcome for bullet performance and do not use them for any big game hunting now
@Tgood1
Back in the 90s the nosler ballistic tips were solid base and better built than today. If you section an older solid base and a newer balistic tip you will find the base section is a lot thicker.
Bob

I still harbour some 7mm solid bases.
they are a far better terminal bullet than the ballistic tip, and also more consistently predictable.
however they don't have the marketing appeal to the inexperienced shooter.
bruce.

I still harbour some 7mm solid bases.
they are a far better terminal bullet than the ballistic tip, and also more consistently predictable.
however they don't have the marketing appeal to the inexperienced shooter.
bruce.
@ Bruce moulds
That and the fact you can't get them anymore.
I would love some of the pre accubond 225grain solid base balistic tips for my 25 and 35.
Bob

25 - 35 I see a pattern forming here.

@ Bruce moulds
That and the fact you can't get them anymore.
I would love some of the pre accubond 225grain solid base balistic tips for my 25 and 35.
Bob
The BC on those 225 grain 25 caliber bullets must be through the roof, what kind of throat and barrel rifling twist rate is that custom built with?
:whistle:

FWIW in the USA vintage Nosler Solid Base bullets pop up for sale intermittently on Gunbroker.com. None in .25 or .35 ATM though.

Attachments

• Screenshot (724).png
    Screenshot (724).png
    720.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot (725).png
    Screenshot (725).png
    173.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot (726).png
    Screenshot (726).png
    807.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (727).png
    Screenshot (727).png
    175.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot (728).png
    Screenshot (728).png
    416.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot (729).png
    Screenshot (729).png
    181.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (730).png
    Screenshot (730).png
    368.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot (731).png
    Screenshot (731).png
    157.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (732).png
    Screenshot (732).png
    621.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot (733).png
    Screenshot (733).png
    167 KB · Views: 76

Attachments

• Screenshot (734).png
    Screenshot (734).png
    499.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot (735).png
    Screenshot (735).png
    142 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot (736).png
    Screenshot (736).png
    386.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot (737).png
    Screenshot (737).png
    165.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot (738).png
    Screenshot (738).png
    268.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (739).png
    Screenshot (739).png
    152.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot (740).png
    Screenshot (740).png
    327.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot (741).png
    Screenshot (741).png
    123.9 KB · Views: 68
The BC on those 225 grain 25 caliber bullets must be through the roof, what kind of throat and barrel rifling twist rate is that custom built with?
:whistle:

FWIW in the USA vintage Nosler Solid Base bullets pop up for sale intermittently on Gunbroker.com. None in .25 or .35 ATM though.
@Mr Zorg
Slip of the finger mate. Don't worry about the twist or barrel length what about the magazine length I would have haha.
It should have been 225s for the 35 and solid base for the 25.
Bob

I never cared much for ballistic tips as they were too explosive up close and I eat what I shoot..I do like the Accubond in most any caliber, and it basically is a ballistic tip with a welded core, and that makes all the difference in the world...Misuse of bullets is a human failing, you need to do your homework before shooting game the test the bullet and make a determination, as it will vary greatly for a number of reason, range,construction, caliber, velocity, bullet shape and on and on..My favorite bullet when it all said and done is the Nosler partition, the bullet by which all others are judged, that should tell folks something.

Nosler solid base without poly tip was discontinues several years ago!! to the best of my knowledge.

I never cared much for ballistic tips as they were too explosive up close and I eat what I shoot..I do like the Accubond in most any caliber, and it basically is a ballistic tip with a welded core, and that makes all the difference in the world...Misuse of bullets is a human failing, you need to do your homework before shooting game the test the bullet and make a determination, as it will vary greatly for a number of reason, range,construction, caliber, velocity, bullet shape and on and on..My favorite bullet when it all said and done is the Nosler partition, the bullet by which all others are judged, that should tell folks something.
Ray Atkinson.
I think the jury is out on the partition nowdays as there are far better bullets around than when it came out. The accubonds were supposed to be a cross between the balistic tip and partition with a soft tip on both and a good shank to hold together. I had no problems with accubonds on plains game in Namibia
20200123_133438.jpg

A 225gr 35 cal accubond after penetrating over 5 foot of kudu front to rear ham

Nosler solid base without poly tip was discontinues several years ago!! to the best of my knowledge.
To everyone's knowledge I believe, ballistic tip bullets took that niche in Nosler offerings some point in the aught's? There's a thread with a 2004 date on Nosler's reloading forum asking why Nosler resumed production of Solid Base bullets. A Nosler rep responded there were two reasons. First was a request from Federal for an entry levvel premium bullet load (reinforcing @Major Khan post in another thread about the definition of a premium bullet being somewhat fluid and differing at different points in time). Second reason given was to "quiet thousands of calls demanding a return". In any event it was removed from production (again) at some later point in time. I can't post the hyperlink for that thread here but I think I can send it by PM.

I've seen numerous posts on other boards (including a campfire themed one) the first generation Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets had widespread occurences of bullet blowups but it's unclear to me whether these were the solid base design with the polymer tip instead of lead, or when the term "solid base" was no longer part of Nosler's hunting bullet offerings.

Maybe you & Bob can help enlighten me which point that occurred in the history of the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets? The Nosler Accubonds appear to have been first released to the market in 2001, but it appears there was a period when Accubonds, Ballistic Tip, and Solid Base bullets were all simultaneously produced by Nosler.

Last edited:
To everyone's knowledge I believe, ballistic tip bullets took that niche in Nosler offerings some point in the aught's?

I've seen numerous posts on other boards the first generation Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets had widespread occurences of bullet blowups but it's unclear to me whether these were the solid base design with the polymer tip instead of lead, or when the term "solid base" was no longer part of Nosler's hunting bullet offerings.

Maybe you & Bob can help enlighten me which point that occurred in the history of the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets?
@Mr Zorg
If my memory serves me correctly it was the solid base balistic tip first. These were great expanded quickly bat the base kept going the new balistic tips are not a patch on the solid base in my humble opinion.
Bob

I’ve used the Nosler partitions (mainly 270 and 375), solid base and the ballistic tips.
I have had no issues with the Bullets and in all honesty the ballistic tips were excellent fir accuracy.
I won’t use the ballistic tips except in the small calibers.
But! I will use the partitions even though they may be co suffered old etc.
I don’t know when Nosler discontinued the solid base Bullets as I haven’t asked/lookedfir them

In my 416 Remington I’ll try the 450 grain Bullets (Woodleigh) as Geoff McDonald sent me some to try.
I was in contact with Geoff this week and explained that with the coronavirus lockdown etc I have t had a chance to test.
Apparently those Bullets were not performing as they should.

I’ve used the Nosler partitions (mainly 270 and 375), solid base and the ballistic tips.
I have had no issues with the Bullets and in all honesty the ballistic tips were excellent fir accuracy.
I won’t use the ballistic tips except in the small calibers.
But! I will use the partitions even though they may be co suffered old etc.
I don’t know when Nosler discontinued the solid base Bullets as I haven’t asked/lookedfir them

Dr. Ray,

The "You" in my post was directed at Mr. Atkinson (first name Ray) and the "Bob" in my post was directed at Bob Nelson 35Whelen since he spoke in reference to pre-Accubond ballistic tips but thanks for your reply as well. I have no idea what your first name is FWIW, guessing your last name is Ray.

The only Ballistic Tips I've tried were the Winchester CT version, 115 grain in Winchester factory .25-06 Remington ammunition. They shot great for my rifle at the range. In the field, not so much. I've had better results from bonded bullets, the Nosler Accubond and Federal Fusion in .25 caliber small bore.

Last edited:
@Mr Zorg
If my memory serves me correctly it was the solid base balistic tip first. These were great expanded quickly bat the base kept going the new balistic tips are not a patch on the solid base in my humble opinion.
Bob

I'm baffled as to where some of this comes from. The current "Hunting" ballistic tips have a solid base, and to the best of my knowledge always have had. The base is solid for at least the depth of the boat tail, and still seems to me to work as intended. Perhaps earlier versions had a thicker solid base, but I would be surprised if tooling would be changed to reduce base thickness.

Dr. Ray,

The "You" in my post was directed at Mr. Atkinson (first name Ray) and the "Bob" in my post was directed at Bob Nelson 35Whelen since he spoke in reference to pre-Accubond ballistic tips but thanks for your reply as well. I have no idea what your first name is FWIW, guessing your last name is Ray.

The only Ballistic Tips I've tried were the Winchester CT version, 115 grain in Winchester factory .25-06 Remington ammunition. They shot great for my rifle at the range. In the field, not so much. I've had better results from bonded bullets, the Nosler Accubond and Federal Fusion in .25 caliber small bore.
@Mr Zorg
I got conned into buying some 25 cal 115grain nosler combined technology silver tips very accurate in my 25 0.8 inch groups at 200 yards. They come out of my barrel @ 3,360 fps so was hoping that they would be ok on fallow deer and pigs.
How did they let you down?
Bob Nelson

I think Nosler Bullets are fine and do the job splendidly. I don’t think animals are tougher or more Bullets resistant.
But I do agree that a modern technologically developed Bullets does help particularly with one shot kills.
Sure there are many great Bullets and mostly it’s a personal choice. My preference is for the bummer to exit on big animals so that a good blood trail is produced.
It’s a lot easier to track that way. Others, understandably prefer the bullet to remain in the animal and I can understand that I. Having all of the energy expended in the target.
I don’t want the bullet to drill through but I want it to mushroom and just exit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg