Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
My experience with ballistic tip bullets has been, what you might call, different.

In my 22/250 they were great because of the game I shot. The sound was like a baseball on a bat unlike the usual "whock".
My 270 - well that's a completely different experience. Deer shot at a very long distance had the bullets go right through red deer making the high pitched sound when they hit. The results were that they didn't open up much and tended to drill right through.
On the other hand at around 110 meters, the bullet penetrate the Rusa deer right through but thew result was something horrendous. The whole shoulder region was as if a grenade hit it.
Accuracy in both rifles has been exceptional to say the least.
So I no longer use the ballistic tips in the 270 or in the 22/250.
So I am asking what sort of experience have others had.

IMG_0093.JPG Rusa deer.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG Rusa deer shot with a ballistic tip.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the BT in 260 Rem, 26 Nosler and both 300 Win and 300 Wsm and have never experienced a pass through. Always had great luck with them. Sorry I know that probably doesn't help you much. Good luck.

Did you have a blood trail to track or did the wound close over etc??

I use ballistic tips in my 30-06 and on my first African hunt in a . 300 Win Mag and never had a problem with putting game down.
There was an occasional pass through but I don't have a problem with it if it leads to a quick death and a good blood trail.
I Iike them and am looking forward to trying some of the Norma Tip Strike bullets through my rifle.
These photos are of a Gemsbok shot at about 150m with Hornady SST in 30-06.
A pass through and massive blood loss as can be seen and a quick death.
DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

I use ballistic tips in my 30-06 and on my first African hunt in a . 300 Win Mag and never had a problem with putting game down.
There was an occasional pass through but I don't have a problem with it if it leads to a quick death and a good blood trail.
I Iike them and am looking forward to trying some of the Norma Tip Strike bullets through my rifle.
These photos are of a Gemsbok shot at about 150m with Hornady SST in 30-06.
A pass through and massive blood loss as can be seen and a quick death.
View attachment 183934
View attachment 183935

My long range shots didn't seem to open up. They just drilled through.
Maybe I have experienced a few unusual anatomical places.
The damage to the shoulder area was horrendous unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to hear from outfitters what they think of ballistic tips for plains game.

Dr. Ray,

I have used Hornady SST bullets, which are used in the Hornady Superformance ammo, with great success on PG (w/ 300 WM) and also Dall Sheep (w/ 270). Lots of one shot kills. I've also been interested in the Swift Scirocco bullet which appears to be similar to the Hornady SST, but it's quite a bit more expensive. With the real life hunting performance I've had, I will continue to use the reasonably priced Hornady SST. The only issue I can see with this bullet is you don't alway get an exit wound. That's why for elk, I prefer the A-Frame. For most African PG, the SST will work well.

Dave

Thanks for that. Very helpful.
My issue is whether they exit and leave a great blood trail.

Here are some ballistic tipped Hornady SSTs 165g in 30-06 that were retrieved from some of the game I hunted, either Hartebeest, Wildebeest or Gemsbok.
Most were found just under the skin on the far side of the animal.
All had good weight retention and mushroomed well.
IMG_20170510_110734_043.jpg

Here are some ballistic tipped Hornady SSTs 165g in 30-06 that were retrieved from some of the game I hunted, either Hartebeest, Wildebeest or Gemsbok.
Most were found just under the skin on the far side of the animal.
All had good weight retention and mushroomed well.
View attachment 183936

Great and impressive.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips on this eland at 240 yards! Large hole through the heart. Second shot through the liver as he stood there about to fall over. So yes I use them on all size game.

My long range shots didn't seem to open up. They just drilled through.
Maybe I have experienced a few unusual anatomical places.
The damage to the shoulder area was horrendous unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply.

Define "long range". My experience with BT are they open fast but the thick base holds together and exits. SST results are accurate as hell, very reasonably priced but explosive

I've always had great success with ballistic tips on deer, never a pass through. Usually dead on their feet and dont make it more that 50 yards.

I love the Nosler Ballistic Tips for:

1) Practice because they're accurate and cheap
2) Finding out what powder a new rifle likes when doing load development because they're accurate and cheap
3) Hunting the diminutive Coues deer in Arizona because they're accurate and have a good BC. They normally put the Coues down right where it stands. But bear in mind the typical shot for these deer is 300 yards or further.

I would not use the Ballistic Tips for:

1) Larger game
2) On any animal where the shot distance is short and the muzzle velocity is high, unless that be a varmint.

I had a 25-06 that really likes the ballistic tips. Only bullet to get under 3/4 inch groups. Most accurate load ever in a rifle that has seen probably 5 different bullets, 5 different powders and a couple of different primers. Always ran around 1 3/4 inch groups. Shot a spike whitetail with it at about 125 yds. Bullet penciled through. The deer went 3-400 yds. Luckily there was snow on the ground or I never would of found it. Never again for hunting....... Bruce

I had a 25-06 that really likes the ballistic tips. Only bullet to get under 3/4 inch groups. Most accurate load ever in a rifle that has seen probably 5 different bullets, 5 different powders and a couple of different primers. Always ran around 1 3/4 inch groups. Shot a spike whitetail with it at about 125 yds. Bullet penciled through. The deer went 3-400 yds. Luckily there was snow on the ground or I never would of found it. Never again for hunting....... Bruce

That's my experience too only I live in tropical Australia so no snow
Accuracy wise - very very good
I have had two extremes - drilled through or went off like a grenade ruining the off shoulder meat totally
Thanks for your tone and experience

never been one to shoot at the shoulder for the reason you experienced. there is a higher risk of the bullet blowing up on the entry shoulder should it hit bone or blowing out the opposite shoulder should it hyper-expand on pass through. breaking down the shoulder can prevent an animal from running, but if either scenario happens a lot of good meat is lost. agree with the philosophy of our ph on safari, who said, always shoot for the crease behind the shoulder. the bullet is less likely to blow up on entry or hyper expand before exit - and you should hit the heart and/or lungs, which is lethal.

never been one to shoot at the shoulder for the reason you experienced. there is a higher risk of the bullet blowing up on the entry shoulder should it hit bone or blowing out the opposite shoulder should it hyper-expand on pass through. breaking down the shoulder can prevent an animal from running, but if either scenario happens a lot of good meat is lost. agree with the philosophy of our ph on safari, who said, always shoot for the crease behind the shoulder. the bullet is less likely to blow up on entry or hyper expand before exit - and you should hit the heart and/or lungs, which is lethal.

I actually shot behind shoulder on near side .
I only shoulder shoot critters I don't want for meat.
I thank you for your knowledge and experience though
Many thanks

Dr Ray, have you ever read any of Nathan Foster's books/writings? He is a Kiwi that IMHO forgot more about long range hunting, ammo and rifles than most of us know. He has an excellent treatise on bullet design beginning on page 46 of his book titled Long Range Hunting Cartridges. His website is: http://www.ballisticstudies.com/ I suggest that everyone interested in hunting, ammo or accurate rifles read his "Knowledge Base" which is free and available online. Then if you like what you read/saw you can pick up some or all of his books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.