Baldwin Bolt Jeweling?? Problem Help

ACM

AH veteran
Reaction score
After seeing some good feedback on AH, I decided to send my CZ 550 bolt handle into Skip at Baldwin Bolt Jeweling. I called ahead of time, then sent the bolt in. It arrived somewhere around Jan 4th. By the end of January I had not heard anything, so I shot Baldwin an email to confirm he had received it. He confirmed and stated he should have it out in 2 weeks. Three weeks went by and I contacted him again, this time by phone. He stated it should ship by the end of the next week. Again, a few weeks went by, no bolt, no correspondence. I emailed him and was told it should ship “this week”. Didn’t happen. I emailed and called again, no response, two more weeks go by. After that I emailed him again to let him know that I will be going to Africa in the coming months, and the gun will still have to be sent to another gunsmith out of state as soon as I get the bolt back. I kindly requested he send the bolt back immediately, regardless of the progress made, and that I would pay him for whatever work he had done. NO RESPONSE. It has been weeks since. I have tried calling and emailing with no response.

If anyone knows him that could lend a hand, it would be very appreciated. I do hope that he is not enduring some kind of medical hardship.

What should I do next?

Very hard to do anything when an out of state business will not answer the phone or email…

What state is this guy in?
Sorry your going through all the BS to get your property back. Hope it gets sorted asap.

Reactions: ACM
What state is this guy in?
Sorry your going through all the BS to get your property back. Hope it gets sorted asap.
He is in Michigan. He and his wife run the business. You would think if either was going through some personal problem, the other would at least make contact with the customer. Having said that, with all the excuses I have been given already, it’s probably just bad business practice.
I’m just hoping someone here knows him or can lend a hand in some way.

You could look up a cab service, pizza delivery, Uber driver and pay them to go knock on the door. Or call the post office to ask if they are still delivering mail there.

Their website shows a link to eBay. They are selling items on eBay. Ask them a question on eBay see if they respond.

I have dealt with Baldwin a number of times over the years and even recommended is services on this sight. I've always had great service from Skip. I'm sorry your having problems with his service

I have dealt with Baldwin a number of times over the years and even recommended is services on this sight. I've always had great service from Skip. I'm sorry your having problems with his service
@Rob404 He seemed like a nice guy on the phone. That’s why at first I thought he may be dealing with some kind of medical issue. I’m really not sure what is going on, but I do know I have been given the run around, and now, not getting a response for weeks. I have been nothing but kind in my emails and voicemails I have left. I did not make this post to bash him or his business. I made it for the sole purpose of trying to find a way to get my property returned to me.

Last edited:
I'd call the local police department and explain your situation and see if they can help. Hope you have a speedy resolution.

Really sorry to hear this. I sent a cz bolt off and had it back beautifully in 2 weeks. This was about two months ago. Not a single, solitary issue with this service.

I'm in complete shock as I have highly and eagerly recommended his work.

Keep calling I would say, something sounds completely off from my experience with him and I'm guessing it's just communication??? I just got off the phone with him today on another project and he said he has a ton of work, but did answer.

Beat of luck!!!

ALL OLD WORK BUT SKIP HAS DONE EVERY 1911 BARREL AND BOLT GUN I HAVE IN THE SAFE WITH GREAT WORK AND PROMPT SERVICE.

I have used him on many bolt guns including a CZ and had a super fast turn around and his work was awesome. Sure seams out of character to me too. I think you should just keep calling and emailing ...not much else to do. Highly doubt a police agency would get involved as its a civil issue. Good luck hope he just does the job and sends it back to you free of charge!

@Wathe208 I have been corresponding w/ Skip on the same email and phone number since January when I sent my bolt in. He pretty much always answered or emailed/called back until February 19th, which is the last day I heard from him. I have sent several emails and left voicemails weekly since then.
After seeing your message stating that you talked to him today, I went online to see if there was more than one number to reach him at. He also had a cell phone listed, so I gave him a call on it. To my surprise he answered. I asked him what we could do to get my bolt back. Also to my surprise, I had to refresh his memory on what bolt it was, and the work to be done. My bolt needed a handle welded on and Jeweling. He found the box my bolt was in and said “Wow I’ve had this a long time”. Then he told me his welding machine has been down and so has his internet. I asked him to return the bolt as soon as possible and that I would cover shipping. Skip was nice on the phone (as was I) and he insisted he complete the work by Wednesday and get it back to me. I am optimistically hoping he follows through…

I got the impression that on jobs that required jeweling only, he has a quick turnaround, and that my bolt got kicked to the back of the line due to the welding required. As far as the not returning calls or emails, I have no clue. I did not press him hard on the matter. Catch more flies with honey… I just want my bolt back.

@Wathe208 I have been corresponding w/ Skip on the same email and phone number since January when I sent my bolt in. He pretty much always answered or emailed/called back until February 19th, which is the last day I heard from him. I have sent several emails and left voicemails weekly since then.
After seeing your message stating that you talked to him today, I went online to see if there was more than one number to reach him at. He also had a cell phone listed, so I gave him a call on it. To my surprise he answered. I asked him what we could do to get my bolt back. Also to my surprise, I had to refresh his memory on what bolt it was, and the work to be done. My bolt needed a handle welded on and Jeweling. He found the box my bolt was in and said “Wow I’ve had this a long time”. Then he told me his welding machine has been down and so has his internet. I asked him to return the bolt as soon as possible and that I would cover shipping. Skip was nice on the phone (as was I) and he insisted he complete the work by Wednesday and get it back to me. I am optimistically hoping he follows through…

I got the impression that on jobs that required jeweling only, he has a quick turnaround, and that my bolt got kicked to the back of the line due to the welding required. As far as the not returning calls or emails, I have no clue. I did not press him hard on the matter. Catch more flies with honey… I just want my bolt back.

I sure hope he gets it for you asap and all works in the end. Sorry for the troubles, those bad experiences are sure tough. Good luck bro.

Reactions: ACM
Keep us posted please. I have used Skip's service a lot and would like to know how this ends. I assume he will be on it quickly.

Conclusion to the Skip Baldwin saga:
Skip emailed me Wednesday night stating he had finished the bolt and sent it out for shipping. He said the work performed would normally total $130, but he would accept $50 for the delay, and he apologized for the delay. I checked the provided tracking number, and it did ship as he stated.
I received the bolt today (Friday), and unpackaged it. First thing I noticed was that he had also jeweled the extractor, which I specifically asked him not to (in writing), but all the work appeared to be done well. I slid the bolt in my gun, dry cycled it twice, and the bolt handle fell off (see picture below). Needless to say he has wasted my time and I will never, ever, do business with him again.
IMG_6217.jpeg
IMG_6216.jpeg

Conclusion to the Skip Baldwin saga:
Skip emailed me Wednesday night stating he had finished the bolt and sent it out for shipping. He said the work performed would normally total $130, but he would accept $50 for the delay, and he apologized for the delay. I checked the provided tracking number, and it did ship as he stated.
I received the bolt today (Friday), and unpackaged it. First thing I noticed was that he had also jeweled the extractor, which I specifically asked him not to (in writing), but all the work appeared to be done well. I slid the bolt in my gun, dry cycled it twice, and the bolt handle fell off (see picture below). Needless to say he has wasted my time and I will never, ever, do business with him again.View attachment 597515View attachment 597514
It's no big deal to remove the jeweling from extractor. The bolt issue ... well, that's a more complicated problem. May be a blessing anyway. Those should be fitted to the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.