Bag tags

John338

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used GPS bag trackers for their rifles and bags on an overseas trip? What type and model? Thanks

A guy at work most recently used Apple Airtags on his bags as we were flying to Nigeria. His bags were "misplaced" in Paris for 17 days and he was able to push his bags location to the airline based off the device.

Just returned from Namibia thru Chicago to Doha on to Windhoek…used the apple air tags on my rifle and checked bag. Checked the location on my I pad….worked like a charm. Would recommend them to any one…about 30 dollars each on Amazon. Identify each airtag with a name and track them thru the airport system…ingenious. And cheap piece of mind. Attach them to the inside of the bag…NOT on the outside..

I too use the AirTags on everything. While not a true GPS tracker, anyone with a phone in range reports the location to the owner unwittingly. But, criminals now search for these tags first thing, so you’ll need to hide them and they can’t transmit outside from inside an aluminum case (same as GPS). I know people who use 2/3 to give the thief a decoy.

At the moment in the US, one can’t pack a battery in carryon. AirTags seem to get a pass but this rule killed smart luggage tags with gps trackers built in from the factory

Currently, I have a bag in DFW. It did not make the plane in Dillingham AK. It should make it home, to Northwest Arkansas, today. The baggage claim people pay extra attention to you when you show them where your bag is located. I am using Apple AirTags. This is my second trip this year where they were useful.

Yes, wife and I used Apple tags on luggage and gun cases recently on flights to and from SA. Piece of mind seeing them make it to the plane.

Peace of mind. sorry

Has anyone ever used GPS bag trackers for their rifles and bags on an overseas trip? What type and model? Thanks
It is an intriguing idea and one that you are hearing more about. I know Apple Airtags are being used by many and some airlines are rolling out GPS bag tags for a fee. I think Alaska airlines is the first to come out with it.
The main thing everyone needs is the airline app and baggage tag numbers so that you can check on your bag. I remember years ago when Delta first had this feature and what a game changer!
Philip

I'll be using Apple Air Tags as well in an upcoming hunt, after previous positive reports from other AH members. I hope the aluminum cases do not stop everything though. I will test more.

I use apple air tags as well. I even put one on my dogs collar as she is deaf and doesn’t come when called. If she gets out we have a half a chance of finding her.

I understand that they don’t work in aluminum cases. Do they work in pelican cases?

Personally I have never used one but I've only heard good things from people using them, especially through busy airports. And as mentioned above I'm sure it will help for peace of mind.

I understand that they don’t work in aluminum cases. Do they work in pelican cases?
They should, the aluminum acts as a faraday cage, attenuating the signal.

Reactions: WAB
I did see someone at OR Tambo get told by the Check-In Attendant that he must remove his tags from his bag (I believe due to battery concerns). So be aware that it may be an issue you if they notice them (at least at Tambo).

Tucked them in under the scopes, no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.