Any idea if covid test can be electronic?Just got through immigration!! Not a problem at all!! Passport. Signed Covid test. a temperature check!!! forehead (not bunghole) and through the line. Super fast and easy. It did sound like the overnight flight from Doha has less folks. I was talking to a Qatar pilot. So if you want some legroom I recommend....sure feels to get off of that flight!! But it is so going to be worth it!!!!
Any idea if covid test can be electronic?
Exciting, please keep the updates coming Travis.Just got through immigration!! Not a problem at all!! Passport. Signed Covid test. a temperature check!!! forehead (not bunghole) and through the line. Super fast and easy. It did sound like the overnight flight from Doha has less folks. I was talking to a Qatar pilot. So if you want some legroom I recommend....sure feels to get off of that flight!! But it is so going to be worth it!!!!
Yep I did see a guy have a screen shot of a neg test. And they let him through... but that might have been lucky. I wouldn’t risk it.We had to show proof of negative test when we checked in stateside, going through customs in RSA, checking back in at JNB, boarding at JNB,boarding second flight at Doha and was told to have it ready at US customs upon return but did not have to show it. Having multiple printed copies made it easier.
Electronic copy is fine per my PH's contact at Gracy Travel. I went thru airport this am and multiple people had it on phones. I was able to get it printed by Qatar Airways customer service in Doha, so I was good either way.Yep I did see a guy have a screen shot of a neg test. And they let him through... but that might have been lucky. I wouldn’t risk it.
It is Finally time to Get back to Africa!!! I had Covid-19 back in February and yes it kicked my ass but I am not down for the count!! I just recently got the COVID-19 J&J Vaccination and that kicked my ass too!! But I am ready to get on that flight!! If you look now, flights out of the states are extremely reasonable and there is no reason not to make this move!! Especially if you got the vaccination!! When I was booking the flight I practically had the whole back end of the Plane to pick from. The Lock-Down has made me CRAZY (along with COVID) and I am so ready for another adventure! I just booked a solid week of hunting with my good friends at Kuche Safari and I can't wait!! It might have been a spur of the moment, and my wife might be a tad bit annoyed... .but honestly I think she is more annoyed that I am home all of the time now anyways... So this might be a way of marriage counseling... or a very effective way of compromising... depends on how you look at it... See ya on the flight!!!! I will keep everyone posted on how the airports are along the way and of course pictures of pre-WallPorn when they hit the dirt... Flying Qatar Airways to Dallas, to Doha and then to Jo-berg.
Thanks so much! I don’t understand the Qatar surrender of firearm requirements. I booked through Lori at Travel Express and heard nothing about this. Help pleaseI just returned from the same trip. Last minute deal with Umngane Safari in the Limpopo region and had two weeks to plan.
Here are a couple things we encountered or witnessed with other hunters that might help the group.
1. It wasn‘t nearly as difficult as I had planned.
2. Getting guns cleared with Qatar Air was the most complicated portion of the trip. Contact a customer service agent and submit a Declaration of Surrender of Firearm, copy of passport, SAP 520, 4457 and your flight plans Qatar email address for declaration
We met 6 other hunters on the way out that had time to have Lori and the team from @TRAVEL EXPRESS book their trip. They had one issue with customs and someone from the agency handled it immediately. They were very satisfied.
3. 2 weeks is not enough time to receive traditional rifle permits from the SAP. No worries, the team from @riflepermits.com met us at the airport at 0400 and walked us through SAP and completed the 520. The team from rifle permits made the process see less and fast. Well worth the money.
4. US Custom and Border Patrol Form 4457 has an expiration date in the upper right hand corner. Make sure yours isn’t expired.
5. COVID test
Must be a PCR test and not a rapid antigen test. It has to say PCR.
It must be issued by an actual health clinic with a Dr signature.
It must be 72 hours before departure
You need one on the US side and the SA side when you return.
A lot of passengers got jammed up with missing one of these.
6. COVID test in RSA was as easy as test in US. Our outfitter drove us to a Lancet lab and we had SMS and email results in less than 24 hours for less then 80$ US.
7. You need COVID results when checking in so if you get a test at the airport plan on the extra hours of waiting.
8. Qatar was as easy if not easier then my past experiences with Delta and Virgin. The planes were nice, staff was polite and 15 1/2 hours from LAX to Doha is a really really long flight.
9. The lounges at Doha are very nice. There is also a hotel and sleeping pods.
10. Check in for our return flight at JNB was a pain in the ass. There were four of us on the same flight and it took a little more then three hours to get through check in. JNB was a ghost town and everything was being done from the same SAP office you visit when you arrive. Plan on extra time.
Seven days with no mask, no talk of COVID, no news, limited data and great hunting was more than worth any extra headaches COVID test and Qatar caused.
Dawyn and the team from Umngane Safaris made everything on the SA easy as can be and provided an excellent PG safari. The animals were plentiful and after a year with no pressure were fun as hell to hunt.
Im sure I left off details you may need or want. Please feel free to PM me or I will respond back to this post.
Get your vaccine, get your test and get back to Africa.
Thanks so much! I don’t understand the Qatar surrender of firearm requirements. I booked through Lori at Travel Express and heard nothing about this. Help please