AUSTRALIA: BOWHUNT: First Red Deer Hunt

Brooster

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia
Hi All,
my first post on this site and thought I might share my first Red Deer hunt this year. The rut here takes place around Easter and I got access to a property that is in a good area for Reds. My initial scouting wasn't looking too promising until I started seeing more saplings with the bark rubbed off them and a few more bashed about by stags starting to fire up for the upcoming roar. My brother and I went for a day trip for a little more scouting and our plan was to look one last time, let the property settle without our scent all over the place and return in the middle of the rut to take on the Reds. As it turned out the rut had already started up and our scouting trip turned into quite the adventure. Not having hunted Reds before I can thankfully say that I live in the 21st century and calling Red stags is something that you can be tutored in on Youtube. Andy my brother had a turn calling through the pvc tube we took along. We stopped a few times and made some calls with some noise off in the distance. We made our way to the deepest sounding stag because the country was so steep and spread out and I didn't have the cardio fitness to have a look at all the stags roaring their heads off. (maybe next time I'll be a little fitter)

We made our way up a gully and then went high as the wind started to changed as we entered. Andy let out a roar, this fella had been calling back but this time we got nothing. We were about 100m above the height of the dry creek bed that ran at the bottom of the gully and Andy let out another roar. By this time I was thinking we may have been busted and not known it. As I looked down the steep hill side this Red stag was coming in on a string. He made no roar back but he was coming in to see who was making the challenge. He walked in to 15m and as he walked behind a tree I drew back, he caught my movement and propped for a second. He didn't need to give me a written invite so I let one go. I knew he was hit good because he bolted and propped again 30meteres away and I could see the point of impact. He wasn't sure what had just happened also a great sign meaning very little pain and a nice sharp broadhead. He turned and started to trot off and fell over down and out 35m from where I shot him. He's not a monster Red but he's a bush head and not from a managed herd just feral and a 10 point Red stag is not a bad place to start with a first of this species. It was great to roll one over with my bro there to share the experience and lucky for me he's a strong fella and a legs man.
Thanks for reading and safe hunting.
cheers

bruce

Red pic 8.jpg
Red pic 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a exciting hunt and a great adventure....along with some good eating.

Good job.
Calling anything in and taking it with at close range is a thrill.
Congrats.

Congrats on a fine bowkill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross