Assembling an Africa Battery

I was surprised to find how popular the .270 was for plains game....versatile, flat shooting and ammo was available...If I had the luxury of building up a similarly themed gun collection...I would talk with outfitters in the potential areas I am interested in inquiring about ammo availability for back up on your own supply. I understand nowadays it is a major concern in many areas.
Re: .270 for PG
I brought my .270 on two PG safaris to South Africa using 150gr Barnes TSX. I killed animals up to Waterbuck, Kudu, Wildebeest, and Zebra with no problems. The last trip I used a camp gun and it was .270 as well. I don’t recall the bullet I used but I had no problems with Sable, Hartebeest, etc. It may not be the “best” caliber choice but it worked for me and, as always, shot placement is key.

I would use .270 on eland if that is what I had. Otherwise, given a choice, I would opt for a .30 caliber.
 
I’m getting my 338 muzzle braked atm.
Gonna start hand load done Speer 225 grain bullets - AR2213SC powder
Seriously? You are putting a brake on a 338? Holy :A Stirring:
 
I’m getting my 338 muzzle braked atm.
Gonna start hand load done Speer 225 grain bullets - AR2213SC powder
@Dr Ray
Using Speers data with the 225gn game king in the 35 Whelen I get 2,890 fps average for 5 shots with 70gn of CFE223.
Great accuracy to go with it
Bob
 
Seriously? You are putting a brake on a 338? Holy :A Stirring:
@BeeMaa
Some people don't enjoy being bitch slapped by their rifles.
I think @Dr Ray is going to use it for long range target shooting but I could be wrong.
Note
I'm never wrong but seldom am I right either. Figure that one out mate.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob
 
Bockdrilling-6.5×57R/22 Hornet/20 ga
O/U double 9.3x74R
Kipplauf-7×65R

This would cover all manner of PG, night critters and small game nicely
 
Bockdrilling-6.5×57R/22 Hornet/20 ga
O/U double 9.3x74R
Kipplauf-7×65R

This would cover all manner of PG, night critters and small game nicely

Why would you not replace the 6.5x57r on the bockdrilling with something a bit more capable? You already have the .22 hornet for varmints, tiny ten. The 7x65r for example?
 
Bockdrilling is a class of it's own.
Never saw anyone else but this strange Germans/Austrians dealing with that kind of rifle.
Nonetheless, IvW's choice is the gentlemans kitchen gun..... may your braai never be cold!



HWL
 
Why would you not replace the 6.5x57r on the bockdrilling with something a bit more capable? You already have the .22 hornet for varmints, tiny ten. The 7x65r for example?
That would be tiny ten brush calling type of gun.....the 7x65R Kipplauf is for that...
The 6.5x57R with 140gr bullets us very capible....

Other option would be....

BBF97 with 3 sets if barrels

22 Hornet/12ga tiny ten night critters....
6.5x57R/7×65R Bergstuzen(Open plains/Mountain rifle. Mountain species, springbuck, blesbuck, blackwildebeest etc.)
7x57R/9.3×57R Bergstutzen(Bushveldt brush gun from duiker to eland)
 
That would be tiny ten brush calling type of gun.....the 7x65R Kipplauf is for that...
The 6.5x57R with 140gr bullets us very capible....

Other option would be....

BBF97 with 3 sets if barrels

22 Hornet/12ga tiny ten night critters....
6.5x57R/7×65R Bergstuzen(Open plains/Mountain rifle. Mountain species, springbuck, blesbuck, blackwildebeest etc.)
7x57R/9.3×57R Bergstutzen(Bushveldt brush gun from duiker to eland)
Hmm, I have the extraordinary BBF97 in 20/hornet, 06/06, 12/06, and 9.3r/9.3. I've begged Blaser for 375R but they refuse. Still, my second battery for Africa/NA when that's my mood.
 
I’m also doing long range target shoot w the 338 and at bench I prefer to have the recoil lessened.
Understandable. May your targets be rich with well placed hits my friend.
 
I’d like to start to assemble an Africa/worldwide game battery of guns.
I’ve got a bolt action 375 H&H being built at the moment by an English maker. I figured that was a good one to start with as an all rounder and I can give it a quick test run on a water buff next September.
I’m thinking I can get sequentially numbered rifles and have something to leave the children. Well the right handed one anyway.
I’m thinking that four would be about right.
275, 300handh, 375 and 416 would cover all the bases but grateful for any other suggestions
Add a .300 Mag of your choice and a .416 Rem or Rigby and you have it all covered in Africa
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 9.53.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 9.53.09 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 9.53.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 9.53.10 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 237

Forum statistics

Threads
70,288
Messages
1,571,762
Members
169,410
Latest member
tealish
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top