Aside from Africa, what are some memorable guided hunts around the world that rival the experience of an African Safari?

It is precisely the point that African hunting is so often NOT roughing it, tho you may be in a rough area, that sets it apart from other places. They just take care of so many details. As Kevin Robertson said, "any fool can SUFFER while camping." So he brought everything, to include a bathtub! And what camp doesn't have propane coolers, etc.?
I was cook at a Colorado elk camp and we did our best, and kept everyone going--but we did not do daily personal laundry (and it rather smelled like it). Being taken care of allows you to spend your energy actually hunting, not doing chores. The older I get, the more help I appreciate. The only place to put your foot down is the fine line between hunting, and being TAKEN hunting IMHO. Outfitters can only do so much.

It is precisely the point that African hunting is so often NOT roughing it, tho you may be in a rough area, that sets it apart from other places. They just take care of so many details. As Kevin Robertson said, "any fool can SUFFER while camping." So he brought everything, to include a bathtub! And what camp doesn't have propane coolers, etc.?
I was cook at a Colorado elk camp and we did our best, and kept everyone going--but we did not do daily personal laundry (and it rather smelled like it). Being taken care of allows you to spend your energy actually hunting, not doing chores. The older I get, the more help I appreciate. The only place to put your foot down is the fine line between hunting, and being TAKEN hunting IMHO. Outfitters can only do so much.
Well put.

For what it is worth the sushi in San Francisco is better.

And better still is Sukiyabashi Jiro in Tokyo… the rest of the thread has gone off the rails as usual.

Africa is a special place. My most memorable hunts have always been with my family. With my Uncle and Brother who got me into hunting followed by taking my wife and kids on their first hunts.

HH

I agree, hunting bears that just look at you with genuine curiosity is awesome. And the fishing in northern Canada is spectacular!

Exactly. They have no fear of people up there. I had a bear one late afternoon climb the tree my stand was in and I very quietly talked him down when he finally got to the bottom of the stand where the only thing between he and I was the grated platform I was standing on!
My adrenaline was pumping hard at the time but thought afterward he was just curious. At least that is what I made myself believe!

That post was not referring to you.

I really need to find the tree that they used to carve your head from, that’s some proper dense wood.

A long, well articulated explanation from a very well seasoned and respected international hunter and instead of respectfully reacting on this response that took some time and effort to write, your only response is “I was not talking to you”.

Exactly. They have no fear of people up there. I had a bear one late afternoon climb the tree my stand was in and I very quietly talked him down when he finally got to the bottom of the stand where the only thing between he and I was the grated platform I was standing on!
My adrenaline was pumping hard at the time but thought afterward he was just curious. At least that is what I made myself believe!
Hahaha I love it, I had one try to come up the ladder instead of the tree, I thought he was gonna bring the stand down lol. Curious little guy lol
IMG_20200627_195329_01.jpg

It's not hunting but one place that comes close to Africa for sheer biodiversity would be Yellowstone National Park. You can see all the planes animals (pronghorn, Buffalo etc) and the mountain species (grizzly, bighorn etc) in one valley. For just watching wildlife it's a lot of fun. I'm sure there is good hunting near the park (never tried) but the Yellowstone caldera is unique in how it packs every species into the same area.

I really need to find the tree that they used to carve your head from, that’s some proper dense wood.

A long, well articulated explanation from a very well seasoned and respected international hunter and instead of respectfully reacting on this response that took some time and effort to write, your only response is “I was not talking to you”.
Well, I wasn't responding to him so why's he writing like I was? Seems there has been more than enough articulate responding on this subject. I'll continue to eat dinner with farmers and their families and the other side will continue to eat gourmet meals in a wilderness thatched roof dining hall. And we'll both sing our respective praises. Nothing will change. And that's okay. Move on.

Last edited:
Ditto on black bear in remote areas. My most unforgettable, non-African hunt was in the North-West corner of Alberta. At least one bear up my tree every night I hunted, and never hunted the same tree twice. Some curious, but most just wanted to run me off. One came up 3 times. Another up the ladder, biting and snapping at the steps as he came. Which is an eerie sound in itself. I started to write a hunting report and was going to post in on here but then realized I was already at 2,500 word count and only covered the first day and then thought a bunch of African hunters didn't really want to hear a black bear story, anyway.

Image1694025109.014989.jpg

Spot and stalk black bear is a wonderful hunt. Took this one while running the coast about 100 miles out of Valdez, Alaska. We take the zodiac in to shore and hike creeks glassing the south facing avalanche chutes. We were quite a way in when we took this guy. It was a long pack!

Another way to word this, if you were to hunt the following species, which country/region would you hunt them in?

Brown Bear?

Buffalo? (Any kind, outside of Africa)

Elk?

Caribou?

Boar?

Sheep/Goat? (High elevation)

Other ? (Bovid, Predator etc)

I think that my opinion is not in the way that many folks.
But I hunted two times in Africa and I liked it but not special for me... this is one of the reasons that I joined this forum to find a good African hunt...
Also my country Spain and the rest of Europe are great hunts and I enjoyed a lot hunting in these countries , shorts hunts with lot of comfort but for me my best hunts and experience is Asia without doubt, very hard hunts , impressive mountains and awesome animals, you have many different ibex for choose, Markhors, blue sheep, argalis, urials, crocodiles, gazelles, deers.. You can hunt until your budget is empty and you never end all the game. For me Pakistan is special due to hunt with my friends but the other " Stan " countries all of them have amazing game to take, choose one of them and you will be in love with Asia I'm sure.

Another way to word this, if you were to hunt the following species, which country/region would you hunt them in?

Brown Bear?

Buffalo? (Any kind, outside of Africa)

Elk?

Caribou?

Boar?

Sheep/Goat? (High elevation)

Other ? (Bovid, Predator etc)
Caribou in Norway.
Boar in stalk ( turkey or tadjikistan) , driven hunts ( Spain or Romania)
Sheep/goat , if your budget is good take the Markhor in Pakistan, if is Lower Blue sheep ( Pakistan or Nepal) if your budget is not much choose and Ibex in the " Stan countries" and you won't regret.

Last edited:
View attachment 555479

Spot and stalk black bear is a wonderful hunt. Took this one while running the coast about 100 miles out of Valdez, Alaska. We take the zodiac in to shore and hike creeks glassing the south facing avalanche chutes. We were quite a way in when we took this guy. It was a long pack!
Now that is a bear! Black bear are a pain to judge until you see your first really big one. At that point you realize ole Jack O'Connor had it right - the big ones just look big.

Big One

Last edited:
Now that is a bear! Black bear are a pain to judge until you see your first really big one. At that point you realize ole Jack O'Connor had it right - the big ones just look big.

View attachment 555506

Likewise. Beautiful bear! Yep, the big ones are obvious once you’ve seen a few, small ears, short legs and they roll when they walk. Bears are about as switched on as any animal I have stalked.

Well, I wasn't responding to him so why's he writing like I was? Seems there has been more than enough articulate responding on this subject. I'll continue to eat dinner with farmers and their families and the other side will continue to eat gourmet meals in a wilderness thatched roof dining hall. And we'll both sing our respective praises. Nothing will change. And that's okay. Move on.
You quoted my post. To whom else should I have assumed you were responding? The really sad thing about this commentary is that there are no sides.

View attachment 555479

I went out of Whittier about 50
Miles. Mine was a rough pack out of about 25 feet!

This could be anywhere in North American, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia etc.

What are some memorable guided hunts that every hunted should add to their wish list?
You should check out Otherhunting.com lol :p J/K! NW Can/AK vs. Africa: apples and oranges. You're going to work HARDER and much less comfortably to acheive your goals, and if guided, you'll pay more than an African Safari for that one animal (in some cases 3-6 or even 10 Safaris.) Nothing I've done in the Lower 48 or E. Can compares to an African safari, although I look forward to hunting deer/bear at home each year with great anticipation on a daily basis...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68ok9

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!