Arrow penetration question

Devin Twitty

AH veteran
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
128
Reaction score
111
Media
16
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Ok i have a question about arrow penetration on a hippo? Ive been seeing post about guys getting almost complete pass thur on a hippopotamus. I would think thats a pretty rare thing do to the hide and fat they have. Does anyone here have more info on the average penetration seen with a arrow?
 
.......Does anyone here have more info on the average penetration seen with a arrow?

"Average penetration."

What Arrow?
What Broadhead?
What Bow?
Distance to target?

A few too many possible responses.

Ashley mostly worked on Buffalo for penetration tests on actual carcasses. Plenty to read there.


There are recorded/verified pass throughs on Elephant.
Elephant and Hippo come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
 
Most if the post are about 1000grn arrow out of 80lb bow. Mixed heads sliver flame ashbys head etc. I know a single bevel cuts better but i also know arrows and how they can be stopped by thick fat just like a foam target.
 
Fat is a lubricant , foam is dry.
 
would for sure take the right placement and distance to pass all the way
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.45.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.45.17 AM.png
    725 KB · Views: 305

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,116
Members
170,223
Latest member
Molly91615
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top