Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Can anyone give an update on hunting in Argentina? Birds or big game. When I first went there, the Peso traded at 3 to the dollar. It is now 232:1 officially and 485:1 on the black market. I imagine this has put a lot of stress on the operators. Are they still hunting there? Has anyone hunted Argentina this year? Impending financial collapse is possible, but I'd like to hunt there one more time...................thanks......FWB

Hi Bill......you are right.....Argetine economy is being a nightmare.........well.......since the last 52 years when I born at least.......3 pesos for a dollar was 18 a go.......remember those days......basically nothing change down here......Argentinians knows how to live as Argentinians hahahahaha.......

We still hunting the same as 25 years ago.......MG Hunting at least, which is the operation where I work......big game and birds eighther way, so if you are interested in hunt again our country go ahead......
for us it will be a pleasure to have the chance to make any hunting arragement for you.......

You can check the last hunts with us in the South America hunting reports seccion.......

See you

I hunted in Argentina last November. The dove roosts were filled to capacity and the sky turned black with the little buggers flying about at times…

The dollar went a long way in BA.. we had some incredible meals for less than 1/3 of what something similar would cost you in the US…

We will continue to hunt Argentina as long and as often as we can. Outside of South Africa it’s our family’s favorite hunting destination…

Is it correct that they have recently adopted the Chinese yuan as their currency of normal commerce?

They have more yuan in their reserves than euro.. but dollars are still the primary currency in their reserve…

When we were in BA in 2018 some places accepted dollars… although most preferred local pesos…

When we were there in 2022 everyone wanted pesos… I didn’t notice any restaurants or retail establishments that did not only accept pesos… I didn’t see anyone accepting dollars, yuan, euro, or any other foreign currency..

I was there in late March if this year hunting red stag and Russian boar with Algar Safaris in Patagonia. It was a great trip and they all seemed very appreciative to have us there hunting.

We will have elections for President in about five month.......one of the candidates with chances of winning wonts to try to dollarize the Country economy but for now......the Argentinian Peso still running the whole Country......will see what happens in the next future in some months........

I had 2 friends fly to Argentina last month, one took a red stag, the other took 2 red stags and one buffalo. They said they had a great time, no drama or any issues.

One of the great places to hunt on the planet. @MG Hunting is one of the finest outfitters anywhere. I have hunted with them several times over the last two decades. When I return, it will be with them. The exchange rate is terrible for Argentinians but amazing for American visitors. You can use a credit card everywhere in BA while playing tourist.

@Red Leg Appreciate your confidence in them.....I will contact them first when starting my planning. Tangential, but here's a question for someone.....I'm not an economist, that's for sure, but if inflation is over 100%, (actually 109%) why would they still want pesos instead of dollars at stores and restaurants? Seems like you'd want the greenback. Just askin...........FWB

Can anyone give an update on hunting in Argentina? Birds or big game. When I first went there, the Peso traded at 3 to the dollar. It is now 232:1 officially and 485:1 on the black market. I imagine this has put a lot of stress on the operators. Are they still hunting there? Has anyone hunted Argentina this year? Impending financial collapse is possible, but I'd like to hunt there one more time...................thanks......FWB
Bill I'm not an economist but isn't this creating more opportunities for foreign hunters? Your dollars (Euros, or whatever) go much farther and are all that much more valuable there.

Just look at Zimbabwe and even South Africa. They have suffered horrific inflation and at that same time, remained fantastic places for Americans to hunt.

@Red Leg Appreciate your confidence in them.....I will contact them first when starting my planning. Tangential, but here's a question for someone.....I'm not an economist, that's for sure, but if inflation is over 100%, (actually 109%) why would they still want pesos instead of dollars at stores and restaurants? Seems like you'd want the greenback. Just askin...........FWB
At this point their Peso is still the official currency and what they are all accustomed to using. Might prove difficult to pay the electric bill with something else;)

Granted they can probably take dollars to the black market and get pesos at double the rate. But it actually says something about the legitimacy of the Outfitter if he is doing everything above board doesn't it?

I went bird hunting in Cordoba in February, and a friend was stag hunting in March. The economy is a complete wreck due to inflation, but the country is reasonably stable. From what we could gather, the outfitters, and other business owners that often deal in hard currencies like the dollar, seem to be reasonably well off whereas everyone else seems to make do. We brought a few thousand dollars in cash and swapped what we needed at Western Union where we got the blue rate, which is much higher than the official FX rate. Despite extreme inflation, the people seem to have found a way to survive. Lovely country and plan to go back for more shooting and to spend more time in Patagonia.

Hi Bill!

As Rocket said, Argentinean already learn how to live with this nightmare, and how to work with!
We have more than 40 years in this business, so we had pass thru a lot of changes, presidents and type of currency.

Argentina now a days still using the Peso argentino as currency, a lot of places are taking US or what you can do is exchange in some places and knowing the real market value, as you told, the black market of dollars.

We have 3 lodges here in Argentina, one is located in Buenos aires province, where you can hunt big game and small game (ducks dove partridge and pigeon), in the northern area you can go for the natives animals and high volume of dove and pigeon (more than 1500shells per day) but really depends on how much your shoulder can take haha. And the lodge in patagonia where you can hunt red deer in the mountains, it's quite a experience to have!
Let me know if you have any question or doubt, i'm at your disposal.

Best Regards,
Federico

I came across some americans hunters at airport this rut in Patagonia. Also, french hunters still enjoy red stag hunting in Argentina.

I've been to Argentina four times since 2004. Hunting, trail running, playing polo from Cordoba to Patagonia.
Unfortunate thing is even though Argentina currency is losing value against the US dollar outfitters keep increasing prices because they see us Americans as cash cows. Book a hunt trough a European outfitter and you'll be paying a lot less for the same hunt. I love the country but most outfitters(not all) are becoming more greedy.

I've been to Argentina four times since 2004. Hunting, trail running, playing polo from Cordoba to Patagonia.
Unfortunate thing is even though Argentina currency is losing value against the US dollar outfitters keep increasing prices because they see us Americans as cash cows. Book a hunt trough a European outfitter and you'll be paying a lot less for the same hunt. I love the country but most outfitters(not all) are becoming more greedy.
Many thanks for posting the names of some Euro outfitters. I’m just back from a Feb hunt we “won” through QDMA. Had a great time and would love to return to Argentina.

Similar story, as with tipping. Americans tip, Europeans not. Different cultures.

I guess I don't understand the allure of Argentina as it relates to big game hunting. The bird hunting I understand but why not hunt your red stag in Europe where they are native?
Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.