Are these the same tusks?

Same tusks?


  • Total voters
    38
It looks pretty obvious to not be the same tusks, due mostly to the obvious difference in the tips with the big chip on the one, while the shipped ones have nice rounded tips. Cant be the same ones. Not sure how A o W can say they are the same. Surely not the same, no big chip!
 
It looks pretty obvious to not be the same tusks, due mostly to the obvious difference in the tips with the big chip on the one, while the shipped ones have nice rounded tips. Cant be the same ones. Not sure how A o W can say they are the same. Surely not the same, no big chip!


This is what I think.....no doubt.....the chip is the key of this for sure......!!!!
 
To even things out I converted both images to black and white…

I see no broken tip in the pair below (picture taken by taxidermist).
elephant-tusks.jpg


These tips look very different to me.
tusks.jpg
 
Seems pretty conclusive!
 
More feedback from members would be appreciated.
 
@Argali would you share the outcome with us.
 
It doesn't look the same to me at all. I would be mad and upset!
 
In many places tusks weighing 13 kgs would not be considered trophy. Less than 30 pounds look like toothpicks (while on the elephant). Even without the technical wizardry by Jerome and Wayne, your original pictures definitely seem larger than 30 pounds.
 
I say that there is no way the tusks are the same. If they are did the taxidermist grind the chips off?? I think not! The one tusk has flat marks on two different plains! Your tusks have been switched sir! Now was it an honest mistake?? Who knows?

I took detailed photos of mine to make sure there was no mix up! What arrived at my home is what I put on the ground in South Africa!
image.jpg

The worn tusk on the bottom looks like the bull stuck it in a pencil sharpener! The top tusk or right tusk has an unmistakable notch to the inside!
 
I say that there is no way the tusks are the same. If they are did the taxidermist grind the chips off?? I think not! The one tusk has flat marks on two different plains! Your tusks have been switched sir! Now was it an honest mistake?? Who knows?

I took detailed photos of mine to make sure there was no mix up! What arrived at my home is what I put on the ground in South Africa!
View attachment 57875
The worn tusk on the bottom looks like the bull stuck it in a pencil sharpener! The top tusk or right tusk has an unmistakable notch to the inside!

Glad you got them home C.(y)
 
Wheels when will your shipment make it home?
 
If I ever hunt an elephant, I'm bringing a number die set with me and marking them. Twice. Once where it is obvious, and then somewhere else. Whether these tusks have been swapped or not, it has to be stressful even thinking about it.
 
Wheels when will your shipment make it home?

They made it home earlier this year. Probably one of the last to ever come out of Zimbabwe to the US. Next time your in town, you will have to swing by.
 
They made it home earlier this year. Probably one of the last to ever come out of Zimbabwe to the US. Next time your in town, you will have to swing by.

Wheels we will make that happen! Thanks for the invite!
 
Not the same tusks! If I look at the points the chip marks don't match. If I look at the base, the angles of the tusks not the same, that can seen more obviously than the tips.

57 inches = 4.75 foot.

Roughly 2.5 foot tip to lip. x 16 inch(diameter) at lip = 40 pounds
15 inch = 37.5 pounds
14 inch = 35 pounds

This is a rough method we use as PH's to judge the weight of ivory. But you can never be sure of the nerve length inside the tusks.
 
Im am curious what ended up happening with this story.

Sorry to bring up old frustrations for OP. It is a interesting story
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,077
Members
169,488
Latest member
SharynPico
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top