Are .270s inherently accurate?

I
I would not necessarily say the barrel is walking as it heats up.
I would however make sure there is clearance between barrel and forend.
without wanting to question the shooter's ability, it is not uncommon for particularly the last shot in a good group to be a flyer due to expectations and technique.
sideways shots can also be due to wind.
there are many things that can cause this other than walking barrels.
another issue is poor bedding.
this will shift zero in a surprising way.
certainly the gun wants to shoot.
bruce.
Hey Bruce
Agreed. I should clarify. From what I found over the years of shooting is that if the barrel channel has any pressure points they will possibly come into play when the barrel heats up. Hot barrel expands the wood creating pressure on the barrel. Has happened in several rifles that I have owned over the years. First three shots are great next 2 are flyers usually close together.
Hunters that come to the range I belong to, "blaze away" with a box of shells and then can't understand why the first couple of shots are good and the rest look like a shotgun patterning board. I try to get them to understand that they have a hunting rifle and not an F Class firearm. Usually you would only take 1-2 shots at the game being hunted. As long as the first 5 shots are within 1.5" at 100yds you should be OK up to 300yds (again depends on game in question and terrain, weather...usual stuff). And yes action bedding as mentioned can play apart as well.

I

Hey Bruce
Agreed. I should clarify. From what I found over the years of shooting is that if the barrel channel has any pressure points they will possibly come into play when the barrel heats up. Hot barrel expands the wood creating pressure on the barrel. Has happened in several rifles that I have owned over the years. First three shots are great next 2 are flyers usually close together.
Hunters that come to the range I belong to, "blaze away" with a box of shells and then can't understand why the first couple of shots are good and the rest look like a shotgun patterning board. I try to get them to understand that they have a hunting rifle and not an F Class firearm. Usually you would only take 1-2 shots at the game being hunted. As long as the first 5 shots are within 1.5" at 100yds you should be OK up to 300yds (again depends on game in question and terrain, weather...usual stuff). And yes action bedding as mentioned can play apart as well.

Pencil thin sporter barrels heat up quickly. I’ve seen guys chasing shots all over the board while twirling scope knobs. The frustration keeps mounting as the barrel gets hotter with hurried shots. Add a lopsided barrel channel and there’s little hope on a hot day.

we have to assume the rifle is set up properly.
the only way to do this is check it and correct any defincies.
floating a barrel is easily done at home.
the channel should be resealed to stop moisture getting in.
correct bedding requires more knowledge of what is required and how to achieve it.
suffice it to say that double or even triple grouping is commonly traced to poor bedding.
bedding should be stress free, (measurable on barrel and tang when screws are tightened and loosened), and the barreled action should be free to move in the bedding such that it will fall out of the stock under gravity.
wood stocks are better not bedded full length of the action.
sides, bottom, front of recoil lug should have clearance.
reat tang should have clearance.
action screws should have clearance.
magazine should have clearance on stock, and between bottom metal and receiver.
a lot to consider and deal with, hence the cost of getting it done.
bruce.

There is sure a lot of them that shoot good, but "inherent accuracy" is a tricky word and Im not sure such a thing exist, and certainly can't be proven, good barrels, good workmanship, knowledge of gun building, proper bullets and powder, and LUCK has a lot to do with that pair or words..That said I always felt there was some mistic force behind the 222 REm and the 250-3000!!! :) :) at least in my case..

ray,
certainly properly put together rifles are critical to accuracy.
sometimes less than properly put together rifles will shoot, but that is either luck or a zig counteracting a zag.
an example of the latter is factory bedding that introduces stress either on the barrel or the action.
all but one of my rifles have been built by benchrest gunsmiths, and will shoot almost any load acceptably or better.
the only thing that prevents this is sub standard bullets, and you can't blame a gun for that.
fortunately almost all bullets today are ok.
bruce.
edit to say
the 222 rem was the bench cartridge for years due to inherent accuracy, then was overtaken by the 6ppc.
however, these levels of accuracy are unattainable in most hunting rifles.

Yes, your spot on, I build my own rifles and for a few chosen friends and for anybody with lots of money, been building them for many years and get top dollar for them, but wouldn't even consider doing it for a living...

I bed a rifle tight all the way, shoot it, if its super accurate Im done if not I 3 point bed it recoil lug and pad, tang, chamber area and pressure at the crown area, and see what happens, if not then free float the barrel with tight on the first two inchs past the front ring...My point is in this order I keep in mind that I can take wood out but can't put it back...If one of these doesn't work in that order, then its a new barrel, the heart of accuracy in the first place...

My records indicate big bore kickers do best bedded tight all the way, std wt. guns can go either way, fwt guns is a push as to bedding, some like forend pressure some like free floating, a rifle is and inity unto itself..

Rifle accuracy is very complex, with many small details collectively making an accurate rifle. I can tell you, I have several Remington 700s, and they all shoot 1" or better at 100yards. I do pillar and glass bed them, free float the barrels, install Timney Triggers and shoot handloads. I have had several in 270 Win, and they shot very very well also. There are many 700s that shoot great right out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross