Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hi guys,

So I'm broke, but dreams are free so here it goes:

I'm currently reading up about various AR's (late to the game- I know) due to the local PRS league adopting gas guns into their competitions. Ideally I would LOVE a 243 on an AR10 platform, but it's just not viable at this point as I can't use it for IPSC and I would be shooting open class in PRS. So, it's a 5.56 AR15 for now that I'm looking at getting next.

A lot of the guys complain about the the short OAL with AR mags, especially when looking to drive the 75 grainers. If anyone has suggestions on what mags allow for the longest cartridge, I would really appreciate suggestions as I'm hoping to push that 75gr as close to 2800ft/s as possible... Granted, when I eventually get there... which will be a while.

I don't think you are going to see a huge difference in max COL in AR mags like you do in AI type mags. Having said that, my favorite AR mag is the Lancer L5. And (when not dreaming of Africa), I run 77 gr in the longer range gas gun.

I shoot 75 and 77 grain out of PMAGs all the time.. no problem at all...

Palmetto State Armory is running a sale an PMAGs right now $9.99 each.. and free shipping on orders of 10 or more for what it’s worth (you have to enter coupon code pmag when you add them to your cart to get the price)...

I shoot 75 and 77 grain out of PMAGs all the time.. no problem at all...

Palmetto State Armory is running a sale an PMAGs right now $9.99 each.. and free shipping on orders of 10 or more for what it’s worth (you have to enter coupon code pmag when you add them to your cart to get the price)...

Thank you! If I may, what velocities are you pushing with the 75gr?

I dont reload for 5.56... everything I shoot in my AR's is factory...

I've found several factory 75 and 77 gr loads to be totally reliable..

I shoot Hornady Black mostly @ about 2325 in the 75 gr load... With the interbond bullet it makes for a pretty good pig hunting round..

Hornady superformance match also works well in my rifle.. its 75gr loaded to 2910..

I've also shot a good bit of Black Hills 77 grain.. its loaded to 2750...

The Nosler SSA 77 grain is also a pretty good factory round.. that was my primary 556 pig round prior to finding Hornady Black.. SSA shoots at 2475...

I shoot between 69-77gr out of my pmags from Magpul. No issues at all. I do use premium ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg