AR-type Rifles

. . . I have also noticed that almost every AR I have seen from "top tier" makers uses direct impingement. I would have thought that a gas piston would be more desirable. . .

See my SIG video above.

Gotta define your plan in a SHTF...

We talking urban environment with the intent to stay urban?

Urban with intent to bug out?

Rural with the intent to dig in?

Rural with intent to remain mobile?

For me, for defensive purposes I like a good carbine length in a common caliber.. it does everything well.. but nothing exceptionally..

If you’re going to be mobile and in a car a lot.. that gun looks a lot different than the rifle you use to patrol pastures and fields.. etc..

That’s one of the very cool thing about the AR platform.. it’s versatility..

And if the answer is “all of the above” you can address each various situation with a different upper..

Gotta define your plan in a SHTF...

We talking urban environment with the intent to stay urban?

Urban with intent to bug out?

Rural with the intent to dig in?

Rural with intent to remain mobile?

For me, for defensive purposes I like a good carbine length in a common caliber.. it does everything well.. but nothing exceptionally..

If you’re going to be mobile and in a car a lot.. that gun looks a lot different than the rifle you use to patrol pastures and fields.. etc..

That’s one of the very cool thing about the AR platform.. it’s versatility..

And if the answer is “all of the above” you can address each various situation with a different upper..
My plan is fortify in place. I have no intention of roaming, but of course a SHTF situation is unpredictable and I want to be prepared, especially in situations where I am outmanned and outgunned.

I like the Colt “H-Bar” but unfortunately, I do not own one these days.
Now my AR is an FN-FAL, LOL.

If you were to build your ultimate example of an AR for SHTF defense situations, which parts would you choose if price were of no importance, just as long no machining is required?

For me, that would be something that goes bang every single time, everything else is way down the list of things I care about. So you would want many 1000s of rounds through the rifle before you bet on your life on it.
For me:
2A Palouse-Lite receiver set
Faxon gunfighter 14.5" fluted barrel
V Seven rail
V Seven Ti gas block, adjustable. But in an SHTF, you would want to run it wide open.
Lantec BCG
Geissele SDC trigger
Maxim CQB stock with a JP Industries captured spring buffer
Surefire WarComp with can

Having said all that, even though I have this rifle, I would still grab my DD MK-18 if I had 15 seconds before my front door was going to be kicked open. I just trust it more than anything else I own. I also have an M&P that was probably under $500 that has 5,000+ through it without any issue at all. So price isn't the best gauge for a SHTF firearm.

I would put by grendel up against any AR I've seen. I'd have to check to safe to see which upper/lower I've used, don't really think it matters. The barrel is by black hole rifle works, polygonally rifled, rifle length recoil tube. It is fitted with a silencio suppressor. The trigger is one of the new mossbergs, they are incredible, better than any of my other high dollar triggers. The upper and barrel were trued and lock-tited, I believe that makes a difference. I went high end on the bolt due to the larger head diameter of the grendel, I wouldn't bother on a 5.56. Optics are Nightforce 4.5-14x SHV for daytime work and an armasight for after dark shenanigans. Stock and grip are mag pul, not sure on the handgard, it's a light weight key rail. As you can see, my money went into barrel, trigger and optics. In this case the bolt was a little pricey as well. As stated previously, this rifle shoots sub 2" groups at 300, is extremely reliable, and very fast for follow up shots when we get into a large sounder of hogs.

If you have not tried a polygonally rifled barrel, I highly recommend that you do so. The two I have are absolutely incredible. Accurate beyond belief and they seem adverse to fouling, cleaning in a fraction of the time of a conventional barrel. I'm not sure why they went out of favor after the whitworth sniper rifles proved the concept in the civil war.

If you were to build your ultimate example of an AR for SHTF defense situations, which parts would you choose if price were of no importance, just as long no machining is required?

Saul, You got it all wrong. You don't need an AR. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For me, that would be something that goes bang every single time, everything else is way down the list of things I care about.

Completely agree with this..

I know youre looking at off the rack AR's.. but if youre talking SHTF scenarios.. this may sound crazy.. but I'd recommend building yourself...

Its not hard to do at all (it does not take a pro.. and only takes a couple of tools.. I could teach a chimp to build an AR in an hour)..

And in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, youre going to want (need) to know how to repair your SHTF rifle.. Understanding not only how simple the gun is, but also what does what, how to repair and/or replace it, I would think would be a critical skill..

Spring kits and other basic replacement parts are super inexpensive.. If youre talking about the potential of owning multiple AR's, I'd have a handful of parts/springs that commonly get replaced (trigger springs, hammer capture springs, extractors, bolts, buffers, etc) after an AR sees a lot of hard use (thousands of rounds).. youre talking a hundred to two hundred bucks tops to have a good supply of replacement parts and springs..

But replacement parts and springs do you no good if you dont know what to do with them..

My basic home defense AR is a pretty basic build.. its a 16" carbine with an aimpoint red dot on top, a set of back up irons, and a high output white light.. and thats about it.. I dont get the guys that strap every object known to man to their AR and create a 15lb "fighting" rifle.. If I were running NOD's I might consider an IR source.. but Im not.. so, I dont..

I know youre looking at off the rack AR's.. but if youre talking SHTF scenarios.. this may sound crazy.. but I'd recommend building yourself...

Its not hard to do at all (it does not take a pro.. and only takes a couple of tools.. I could teach a chimp to build an AR in an hour)..

And in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, youre going to want (need) to know how to repair your SHTF rifle.. Understanding not only how simple the gun is, but also what does what, how to repair and/or replace it, I would think would be a critical skill..

Spring kits and other basic replacement parts are super inexpensive.. If youre talking about the potential of owning multiple AR's, I'd have a handful of parts/springs that commonly get replaced (trigger springs, hammer capture springs, extractors, bolts, buffers, etc) after an AR sees a lot of hard use (thousands of rounds).. youre talking a hundred to two hundred bucks tops to have a good supply of replacement parts and springs..

But replacement parts and springs do you no good if you dont know what to do with them..

My basic home defense AR is a pretty basic build.. its a 16" carbine with an aimpoint red dot on top, a set of back up irons, and a high output white light.. and thats about it.. I dont get the guys that strap every object known to man to their AR and create a 15lb "fighting" rifle.. If I were running NOD's I might consider an IR source.. but Im not.. so, I dont..

I started thinking about a spare parts kit cost yesterday, I buy that stuff in bulk, but even single pieces off Midway, you are only about $40 per rifle. I suspect most people are going to run out of ammo WAY before they start to wear out quality AR parts.

I would like to build one but I need to do a lot more research first to compile a parts list and I do not have the time right now.

For me, the benefit of the AR platform is light weight and parts availability. When you start needing an AR-10 platform to get the job done, I will choose my Garand instead.

I would like to build one but I need to do a lot more research first to compile a parts list and I do not have the time right now.

For me, the benefit of the AR platform is light weight and parts availability. When you start needing an AR-10 platform to get the job done, I will choose my Garand instead.

Building the rifle right now is a pretty hard job, there are huge backorders on almost all parts. You could probably get something put together with stuff in-stock, but it would take a ton of searching. I looked this morning, you can get a BCM upper and a CCMG lower, that isn't a bad way to go and given the current buying frenzy, it is about the best I think you can do.

Palmetto Armory usually has AR-15s & 10s in stock ready to ship.

I remember tossing some 30 round mags to a brother and saying ,"now you can miss ten more times before you gotta reload".

For many years now I have been selling guns and ammo to people who appeared to be arming themselves for some apocalyptic hoedown and to listen to them its easy to figure out that most are pogues.

I've been very interested in reading this thread. Never owned an AR, but like many, are now thinking seriously of getting one while you still can. I have the over analysis paralysis when it comes to AR. Read a lot of articles. Also considered just getting a Ruger Mini 14.

Let me ask this learned body of wisdom on AH a question: I read an article a few years ago that basically said the forward assist was not really needed and some manufacturers have come out with models without it. Comments?

Also considered just getting a Ruger Mini 14.

Dont.

Nothing wrong with the Mini 14.. but its an inferior system.. less reliable, less versatile, less customizable... for not much cost savings at all.. over a high end AR... and its significantly more expensive than a "budget" AR..

Last edited:
Hi 375 Ruger Fan,

Unless Ruger has changed their specs, the Mini-14 may as well be a smooth bore, as accuracy in the one’s I have fired was without exception, simply terrible.
A well made AR Model does not need a “forward assist” gadget.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Like my ar ones but also this is a favourite..sig 550 swat...but just seen they stopped making it and the later sig 556...very well made and with a side folding stock very compact
IMG-20200731-WA0015.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!