Appreciate, Gratitude and Share

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
I’m not sure about anyone else, but I can get a little tired of our hunting community always complaining the sky is falling and hunting is one the verge of dying out. Sometimes we need to take a break from worrying about gun control, anti hunters, poachers, etc. And realize how good we got it right now.

In most in of the real democracies of the world you can still own a gun and hunt in some form - you can even still hunt in the UK where I’m sure they have the highest anti-gun, anti-hunters on the planet. Game populations are generally good in most well managed countries and if you save up, even a middle class worker can fly cross the globe and enjoy a plains game hunt. We have clothing that keeps us warm, cool and the gear available to us now is beyond what a prince could have 50 years ago.

I’m not saying we dont have threats, but you also need to enjoy what we have and share it with others- especially non-hunters.

I challenge everyone to have a wild game meal with non-hunters this year. Invite vegetarians and lets them see you enjoying the game you took and smell it cooking. Be sensitive to the fact that hunting is not for everyone and they might not become converted to the hunting. But in my experience, the more we share the simple moments of eating a meal with people that aren’t from our “tribe” the better off we are when the media says all hunters are “cold-hearted killers”.

And take a bit of time to enjoy what might be the best time in history to be a hunter. I have it better then my grandfather did, and I would not be suprised if my future grandson or daughter have it even better. Work hard to protect, but also celebrate what we have.

@dmyers, unfortunately I cannot agree with you, at least in regard to my own country.

During the last 40 years, laws and regulations on firearms and hunting have become more complicated, and prices have skyrocketed to the point where it is cheaper to hunt in Africa.

You are right hunting has become expensive and more complicated- but so has golf, fishing, taking holiday, ect.

I just think that complaints need to balanced with some positives.

@dmyers, unfortunately I cannot agree with you, at least in regard to my own country.

During the last 40 years, laws and regulations on firearms and hunting have become more complicated, and prices have skyrocketed to the point where it is cheaper to hunt in Africa.
I can't speak for spain but i still think Africa is one of the more expensive places to hunt, especially for someone like myself.

Comparing to the USA lower 48 for example, trophy fees of Africa are generally comparable though probably more expensive than tags in the USA. But where in the USA someone can generally hunt without a guide and sleep out of a tent, Africa has guides, accommodation etc. I'm currently building points at the moment for the states and tossing up whether to go there or africa in the next couple of years and my sums so far show the states to be far cheaper.

To respond to the OP, in Australia and NZ for the diy hunter times almost haven't been better, in my state I can get a license for $40 a year that gives me 12 month season on all deer species except one, and no bag limits except for one species. Also good for duck and quail. The exception is that 30 years ago you could hunt buffalo for free and now everyone wants $10k for a hunt despite paid cullers still existing because of over population.

But for the most part I very much count my blessings for having such great opportunities to be amongst nature and harvest my own meat.

To several of my non hunting neighbors, I give venison in various forms, bacon, chip steak, tenderloins, roasts and burger. Burger always is a hit. They make meatloaf, tacos and burgers with it. A couple were on the fence about hunting but I think I've converted them. :D

And i regularly give meat to non hunters, most people if you speak with them are reasonable and understand and accept hunting and even enjoy the proceeds of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross