Anyone use a drilling?

I want a 12ga/12ga/9.3×74R with some insert barrels
I know you said this a while back but I know where one is.

A 12x12x9.3-74 could have a 9.3x74 insert and be "Suhl configuration" for a DR drilling!

I've seen some very nice Browning and Beretta O/U double rifles that came with an extra set of 20 ga barrels. I would go with one of those setups. You have a choice of 7x57, 7x65, 30-06, 8x57 and 9,3x74 on the rifle side, plus up to 3" loads (slugs, buck and shot) on the 20 ga. That pretty much sets you up for anything, anywhere.

Why can't you bring 16ga ammo with you.
Something to consider depending on the age of the Drilling in question is how it is chambered. The older ones were chambered for 16ga 2-1/2" shells; modern is 2-3/4". Of course, you may be able to have a qualified gunsmith ream out the chamber, but obviously that has to be accomplished prior to the hunting trip.
I've really gotta stop looking at this thread, I have nearly convinced myself that I need a 16 ga/ 8mm mauser lol
Again, depending on the vintage, you should determine (pre-purchase) whether it is chambered for 8x57 JR or 8x57 JRS. Essentially the same rimmed cartridge case, but the former is bored for a 0.318" bullet whereas the latter is bored 0.323" -- a not insignificant difference. The "8mm Mauser" is a rimless cartridge, using a 0.323" bullet.

The 0.318" bullets seem to be much more difficult to locate compared to the much more common 0.323" version. Just something to consider if you intend to reload.

Just listen to your inner voice, come to the conclusion that 7x57R/16 is sufficient and obey!:giggle:;)
That may be a better option, as I suspect that both factory ammunition and components may be easier to obtain.

Something to consider depending on the age of the Drilling in question is how it is chambered. The older ones were chambered for 16ga 2-1/2" shells; modern is 2-3/4". Of course, you may be able to have a qualified gunsmith ream out the chamber, but obviously that has to be accomplished prior to the hunting trip.

Again, depending on the vintage, you should determine (pre-purchase) whether it is chambered for 8x57 JR or 8x57 JRS. Essentially the same rimmed cartridge case, but the former is bored for a 0.318" bullet whereas the latter is bored 0.323" -- a not insignificant difference. The "8mm Mauser" is a rimless cartridge, using a 0.323" bullet.

The 0.318" bullets seem to be much more difficult to locate compared to the much more common 0.323" version. Just something to consider if you intend to reload.

That may be a better option, as I suspect that both factory ammunition and components may be easier to obtain.
Thanks for the heads up, I am now looking for one with a 7x57R /16 GA . I think I'll have more options for bullets from the 7mm . Thank you for your advice.

Gotta love a Drilling.
Covers fur and feather and fun to use. Many people say it is a master of nothing , I disagree.
1693951895580.jpeg

1693951968138.jpeg

1693952023001.jpeg

NEVER EVER take a reamer to a drilling. Because the gunmaker is assembling three barrels together, they tend to be right at the minimum safe thickness at the chamber.

NEVER EVER take a reamer to a drilling. Because the gunmaker is assembling three barrels together, they tend to be right at the minimum safe thickness at the chamber.
I don't disagree with that. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a qualified gunsmith check to determine whether some previous owner may have done so.

And by "qualified gunsmith" I refer to someone who possesses a certain level of training and expertise on these types of firearms, not just an AR parts-assembler.

I don't disagree with that. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a qualified gunsmith check to determine whether some previous owner may have done so.

And by "qualified gunsmith" I refer to someone who possesses a certain level of training and expertise on these types of firearms, not just an AR parts-assembler.
Glad to see i’m not alone in my experience with “gunsmiths “!

Used a Krieghoff with 20ga Barrels over 30-06 with a 17hmr insert extensively in my small game Revier.

Used the 30-06 obly one so i swithed to and old 16ga & 5.6x50r Hahndrilling (Drilling with Hammers) so i could use both 16ga barrels while bird hunting.
Lovely rifle and bagged many birds and even a boar with it.

After a few years i now have a 12ga, 7x65r and 22hornet Drilling again from Kroeghoff and looking forward to explore the new area with it.

Some beautiful drillings in this thread.

Recently stumbled onto this Franz Sodia Ferlach drilling. SxS 20ga over .270 Winchester.

While pheasant hunting we often spook whitetail out of hiding. As they take off running I always think “man I wish I had a Winchester lever action“. Decided to stop living a life of regret and to start hunting with a drilling.

Next Fall is drilling season!
View attachment 446713View attachment 446714View attachment 446715View attachment 446716
I hear you on the whitetail pop ups--only mine was a wall-mountable mule deer, 60 yds standing, and I HAD the 8x57 cartridge with me....but I couldn't shoot it as it was not legally allowed! Oh, the temptation, though. I didn't shoot for the same reason my wife doesn't murder me sometimes--too many witnesses!

Last edited:
I would love a "Bergstutzen" drilling, 9.3x74R/7x57R/12ga for Africa is such a thing is pssible, I then keep my 500 Jeff ready for everything
I believe that would be called a "bock drilling"; a bergstutzen is two rifle barrels, generally O/U with one caliber smaller than the other. They are both elegant choices. You have good taste.

Last edited:
Just sold a VEB E.Thallheimer Suhl 12 x 12 x 7x65R. Killed a number of hogs. Have a Blaser BD14 20ga x 9.3x74R x .22 Hornet coming in a few months. Will readily deal with anything other than big/thick skin D.G.

You definitely picked the best combo! How long ago did you order? I've been waiting 15 months for a D99 barrel assembly. My D99 Duo is so accurate I don't think I could be satisfied with anything else now.

Ordered in June. But, i was just able to get one in .308/.22 hornet/20 ga at a fair price.
It is amazing. Out of the box the two rifle barrels are perfectly regulated at 25 yards (only distance i have shot at so far) which is just fine for FL hogs. i might sell it when the 9.3 arrives

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross