Anyone have a CZ 527 7x62x39?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Ryanlo, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Ryanlo

Ryanlo AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA New Zealand
    Been looking at them for a while. Seem like a fun little rifle. Would be handy for the kids shooting with more recoil then the 22’s but a lot cheaper to shoot then there hunting rifles.

Pros cons?

Happy New Year to you all

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    I had a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 (with the boat paddle stock) for several years and yes it's a nice step up from a 22 and economical to shoot. Great for youngster to practice with a it really had no recoil. The CZ is a nicer looking rifle.

Ryanlo likes this.

3. BC.Pat

BC.Pat AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana , Namibia, Sierra Leone
    My hunting partner has one he uses it for bush hunting deer in Ontario with commercial soft point ammo , he likes it very much. Very light and compact, he did polish the rails & trigger a bit. I will eventually do the same , like you I think its a good rifle for lots of practice at the range to keep skills sharp.

H-Marlin, Odinsraven and Ryanlo like this.

4. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    Not a CZ, but a buddy of mine has one of the Zastava “mini-mausers” in 7.62x39..

It’s an awesome little rifle that I’ve tried to buy off of him several times..

I’d love to have one for deer/hog hunting in thick brush where shots would be 150 yards or less...

Lightweight, accurate enough at closer ranges to be more than effective enough for hunting, and super cheap to shoot..

Ryanlo and BC.Pat like this.

5. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    You might also look at the Ruger American in 7.62X39. That also is a fun rifle.

ChrisG and Ryanlo like this.

6. 7x57Joe

7x57Joe AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I've a CZ carbine since 2004 and it is a very fun little firearm. Even with cheap steel case ammo, it will shoot slightly over an inch at 100 and handloads will go under an inch. Alliant Rl 7 is the powder of choice for 123 grain .311" jacketed bullets.
    Mine was bought to principally shoot cast bullets in and it does this wonderfully well. It is death and destruction on armadillos with a flat point cast bullet of 165 grains. Although I haven't got to try it on deer yet, I haven't the slightest doubt of it being effective. I use 4895 or H-335 for my 165 cast bullet running 1900 fps. I just wish CZ would offer a full stock option for this little gem!

Ryanlo likes this.

7. 7x57Joe

7x57Joe AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I'll add that the cast load works very well on coyotes. I got this one while out on a deer hunt.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2018
    Ryanlo and BC.Pat like this.

8. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    Its funny you ask. I was just at my local gun shop yesterday and he had a used one sitting on the shelf. It really wasn't of any interest to me other than I do like the mini mauser actions. Someday I will have one of the longer versions in .223 now that they make them with a 1:9" twist barrel. But the 7.62x39 is great for a short barrel as you don't give up much in the way of velocity and it will be great for ethically shooting at deer out to around 200-225 yards depending on the load. My dad hunted for a while with a Ruger Mini-30 and never had issues filling his tag.

9. 8x68

8x68 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, CCFR
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    I had one. Shot Hornady 123gr SST's under a MOA at 100yds. It was a fun, accurate little rifle UNLESS you tried to single feed without use of the magazine. The short version of story is that the extractor would disengage from the extractor collar when you lifted the bolt handle to eject the case. Bolt would hang up in the receiver causing expletive laden sentences while you spend the next 1/2 hr trying to re-engage the extractor on the extractor collar. It also would not detonate the primer on military ammo (I had a couple of rounds left over from an AK I had). I realize a stronger spring could have been used but I didn't need it as I was only interested in shooting factory ammo & reloads.

Dr Ray likes this.

10. ZG47

ZG47 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NZDA, NZMSC
    Hunted:
    New Zealand
    The CZ 527 has a safety catch. The Ruger American only has a trigger block. The CZ is also less fussy to maintain because it has a controlled feed breech face instead of a fully enclosed breech face, i.e. you do not need an M16 mutant tooth brush (my term) to remove bits of brass and random rubbish from the front of the breech bolt. The Ruger does, however, have a double stack magazine and uses Mini Thirty magazines.

Dr Ray likes this.

11. leslie hetrick

leslie hetrick AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    several sporting clubs
    Hunted:
    several
    my 7.62x39,s are a ruger 77 and several sks rifles, I have not killed a deer with the 7.62x39, but have killed deer with my 300 BK and its less powerfull than the 7.62x39.

DSCN9894.JPG DSCN9627.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2018

12. Tango

Tango AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I’ve had one for about 10 years. Great little rifles. Accurate, good trigger and very well made. If you buy one, have James Calhoon.com modify the bolt handle for better scope clearance. He does nice work and it allows the scope to be mounted much lower. The Ruger American Ranch 300 Blk is another great choice in that class. Been shooting the Ruger lately with a suppressor and subsonic ammo. Good to 100+ yards and really pleasant to shoot without hearing pro. Not the same classic build quality but a cool rifle in its way.

13. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    The cartridge had the power of a 30/30 )roughly). It’s a fun cartridge and used one many years ago. I did not use It for hunting as I had other rifles with me.
    Suggest that it’s a short range deer cartridge.

14. Ernie Shipman

Ernie Shipman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI; NRA, Endowment Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I have a 527 American in 22 Hornet. LOVE it - Boringly accurate. Everyone of my friends who shoots it loves it... I just use "el cheapo" Winchester ammo in a Burris 3-9 scope. BUY ONE NOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!