Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Been looking at them for a while. Seem like a fun little rifle. Would be handy for the kids shooting with more recoil then the 22’s but a lot cheaper to shoot then there hunting rifles.

Pros cons?

Happy New Year to you all

I had a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 (with the boat paddle stock) for several years and yes it's a nice step up from a 22 and economical to shoot. Great for youngster to practice with a it really had no recoil. The CZ is a nicer looking rifle.

My hunting partner has one he uses it for bush hunting deer in Ontario with commercial soft point ammo , he likes it very much. Very light and compact, he did polish the rails & trigger a bit. I will eventually do the same , like you I think its a good rifle for lots of practice at the range to keep skills sharp.

Not a CZ, but a buddy of mine has one of the Zastava “mini-mausers” in 7.62x39..

It’s an awesome little rifle that I’ve tried to buy off of him several times..

I’d love to have one for deer/hog hunting in thick brush where shots would be 150 yards or less...

Lightweight, accurate enough at closer ranges to be more than effective enough for hunting, and super cheap to shoot..

You might also look at the Ruger American in 7.62X39. That also is a fun rifle.

I've a CZ carbine since 2004 and it is a very fun little firearm. Even with cheap steel case ammo, it will shoot slightly over an inch at 100 and handloads will go under an inch. Alliant Rl 7 is the powder of choice for 123 grain .311" jacketed bullets.
Mine was bought to principally shoot cast bullets in and it does this wonderfully well. It is death and destruction on armadillos with a flat point cast bullet of 165 grains. Although I haven't got to try it on deer yet, I haven't the slightest doubt of it being effective. I use 4895 or H-335 for my 165 cast bullet running 1900 fps. I just wish CZ would offer a full stock option for this little gem!

I'll add that the cast load works very well on coyotes. I got this one while out on a deer hunt.

yDolWut.jpg

Attachments

• 2940497E-EFA8-4DA8-80A0-D63DF6BC0CE0.jpeg
    2940497E-EFA8-4DA8-80A0-D63DF6BC0CE0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,587
Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny you ask. I was just at my local gun shop yesterday and he had a used one sitting on the shelf. It really wasn't of any interest to me other than I do like the mini mauser actions. Someday I will have one of the longer versions in .223 now that they make them with a 1:9" twist barrel. But the 7.62x39 is great for a short barrel as you don't give up much in the way of velocity and it will be great for ethically shooting at deer out to around 200-225 yards depending on the load. My dad hunted for a while with a Ruger Mini-30 and never had issues filling his tag.

I had one. Shot Hornady 123gr SST's under a MOA at 100yds. It was a fun, accurate little rifle UNLESS you tried to single feed without use of the magazine. The short version of story is that the extractor would disengage from the extractor collar when you lifted the bolt handle to eject the case. Bolt would hang up in the receiver causing expletive laden sentences while you spend the next 1/2 hr trying to re-engage the extractor on the extractor collar. It also would not detonate the primer on military ammo (I had a couple of rounds left over from an AK I had). I realize a stronger spring could have been used but I didn't need it as I was only interested in shooting factory ammo & reloads.

You might also look at the Ruger American in 7.62X39. That also is a fun rifle.

The CZ 527 has a safety catch. The Ruger American only has a trigger block. The CZ is also less fussy to maintain because it has a controlled feed breech face instead of a fully enclosed breech face, i.e. you do not need an M16 mutant tooth brush (my term) to remove bits of brass and random rubbish from the front of the breech bolt. The Ruger does, however, have a double stack magazine and uses Mini Thirty magazines.

my 7.62x39,s are a ruger 77 and several sks rifles, I have not killed a deer with the 7.62x39, but have killed deer with my 300 BK and its less powerfull than the 7.62x39.

DSCN9894.JPG
DSCN9627.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had one for about 10 years. Great little rifles. Accurate, good trigger and very well made. If you buy one, have James Calhoon.com modify the bolt handle for better scope clearance. He does nice work and it allows the scope to be mounted much lower. The Ruger American Ranch 300 Blk is another great choice in that class. Been shooting the Ruger lately with a suppressor and subsonic ammo. Good to 100+ yards and really pleasant to shoot without hearing pro. Not the same classic build quality but a cool rifle in its way.

Been looking at them for a while. Seem like a fun little rifle. Would be handy for the kids shooting with more recoil then the 22’s but a lot cheaper to shoot then there hunting rifles.

Pros cons?

Happy New Year to you all

The cartridge had the power of a 30/30 )roughly). It’s a fun cartridge and used one many years ago. I did not use It for hunting as I had other rifles with me.
Suggest that it’s a short range deer cartridge.

I have a 527 American in 22 Hornet. LOVE it - Boringly accurate. Everyone of my friends who shoots it loves it... I just use "el cheapo" Winchester ammo in a Burris 3-9 scope. BUY ONE NOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg