Anyone handled the Savage Renegauge? Thoughts?

channelkat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
Anyone handled the newer Savage Renegauge? I see the 28" Mossyoak waterfowl version available for 1,229.00. On paper it looks good, no idea how it holds up in the field or even how it feels in the hand. Can't find one in stock anywhere near me. Big draw for me is the adjustable LOP. I am thinking about trying to sell my Beretta Extrema 2 in order to purchase something that actually fits. I love everything about my Beretta except the LOP which, especially with the kickoff feature, is entirely too long for me. I have no idea what it is worth but guessing it should get me pretty close to the Renegauge price. That would keep the wife happy. Love to know your thoughts... Mostly a coastal waterfowl gun.

Last edited:
I've seen them on the shelves a few times but they aren't my cup of tea. They are a gas piston action which seems to have good reviews but I'm curious as to why they only came out with a 3" chamber. Especially for waterfowl hunters who routinely use 3.5" shells. Also the weight of an 8 lb plus shotgun seems a bit much for something you will be expecting to be doing a lot of walking with.

If I were looking for a 3" chambered gas gun for waterfowl, I'd start and end with the Beretta A300 Ultima. Real world price is less than $1K and there is a ton of aftermarket for it. Reliability is awesome and if you want to upgrade later it will hold it's value better than the Savage.

If you want to move to a gas gun with a 3.5" chamber, the price goes up a bit. Expect $1500 and up for a top quality shotgun like the Browning Maxus II or Beretta A400. The used market for these is really good...deals in the $1000-1200 range!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1009045443

If you were to go for an inertia shotgun, the Franchi Infinity 3" chamber shotguns come in right around $1K and operate on the same action as the legendary Benelli SBE. Franchi also offers options with a 3.5" chamber for a little more money.

Attachments

• BERETTA A400 XTREME UNICO 12GA 2 3:4'' ,3'', 31:2'' MAX4 HD CAMMO - Semi Auto Shotguns at GunB...pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
I’ve got one NiB Bottomland Turkey model (24” barrel - Im probably going to part with soon) and have shot one of the Renegauge Prairie models a good bit. The grip angle is very different (more boxy) compared to the SBE I shot for years, BUT it feels good and points more like a rifle than any other shotgun. When shooting clays with it, I traditionally break 1-2 more than when shooting my SBE, or an older 1100.

Only reason for considering parting with the Turkey model is I’ve been shooting a 410 w/ TSS a lot and when I grab the 12ga I find myself grabbing an old 835 for that 3.5”.

Thanks gents. I'm not sure what I want to do. There is a lot I like about my Beretta (actually have a couple) but just wish the stock was a little a little easier to adjust. Then again, I haven't been supper impressed with their service and they won't even offer a youth stock for it... I haven't found a gunsmith willing to mess with that synthetic stock, but maybe I can jimmy rig it somehow...

Thanks gents. I'm not sure what I want to do. There is a lot I like about my Beretta (actually have a couple) but just wish the stock was a little a little easier to adjust. Then again, I haven't been supper impressed with their service and they won't even offer a youth stock for it... I haven't found a gunsmith willing to mess with that synthetic stock, but maybe I can jimmy rig it somehow...
I know what you mean about the stock adjustment, it’s a PITA on my A400. The good side is that you should only have to do it once.

I’ve not looked for shorter LOP stocks. Best of luck with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelMcE

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!