Anyone else use their 416 on Plains Game?

I enjoy my .416 Ruger on plains game. With a 400gr Dzombo it has stopped elephant, hippo and buffalo. With a 350gr A-frame at 2400fps it is up to any task as far as plainsgame go. Ive hunted from Bushbuck on the Tugela to Eland in the Drakensberg with the combination. Ive used it successfully on a clients wounded wildebeest ans zebra, the latter shot off a rock at 290m.

Obviously a Rigby or Rem Mag will do the same. One day when I’m big I’d like to own a pre war .416 Rigby.

569.JPG

613.JPG

The Zebra we chased for 5 hours and finally shot at 290m.
729.JPG

Drakensberg eland cow. Excellent table fair. Also shot with one shot using 4-Stable Stix at 350m. I did practice my bullet drop out to 400m before the hunt.
642.JPG

015. .416 Ruger Alaskan.JPG

It's nice to hear the real life applications here for the 416. As much as I love my 375's, my 416 with good glass can do anything that needs doing...big or small.

I enjoy my .416 Ruger on plains game. With a 400gr Dzombo it has stopped elephant, hippo and buffalo. With a 350gr A-frame at 2400fps it is up to any task as far as plainsgame go. Ive hunted from Bushbuck on the Tugela to Eland in the Drakensberg with the combination. Ive used it successfully on a clients wounded wildebeest ans zebra, the latter shot off a rock at 290m.

Obviously a Rigby or Rem Mag will do the same. One day when I’m big I’d like to own a pre war .416 Rigby.

View attachment 461614
View attachment 461615
The Zebra we chased for 5 hours and finally shot at 290m.
View attachment 461616
Drakensberg eland cow. Excellent table fair. Also shot with one shot using 4-Stable Stix at 350m. I did practice my bullet drop out to 400m before the hunt.
View attachment 461617
View attachment 461618
The .416 at the top wit a Swaro Z6 1-6x24, and the equally competent .375 Ruger nelonwith a 2,5-10x40 Habicht.

Take the big gun and have fun. I used to have a 460 Bee in a LH MKV custom rifle, shot everything from longer range targets, running targets to gophers, deer, pigs, Black Bear, Moose and Elk with it. Why, because I could. What is the point of owning guns you never get to use. I handloaded it my self, like I do all my guns, and it was fun. Did I need anywhere near that much gun, nope not even close, but then again never had to chase anything, even the elk I shot at 450 yards. Always brought a big smile to my face taking pictures of the game I got with that gun. I would be wiling to bet very few have worn out the barrel in a 460 or a 416, but I did.

Makes sense on Giraffe, Eland, Zebra. Outside of that, what Red Leg said. Also a good idea if hunting PG in a DG area.

I shot a lechwe on a buff and ele hunt a while back. I wouldn’t take it for solely PG myself.

Reactions: JHT
I shot this little guy with the .500/.416 solid because hunting things with the double is fun. 75yds open sights.

AA3F1D9B-40E1-4511-9F5E-C553AEBC77BF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
because hunting things with the double is fun. 75yds open sights.
Yes! Exactly, getting close and making the shot with a double or big bore single barrel rifle is classic.

This looks like it has already been thoroughly covered but I will join in anyway. I have recently picked up a couple of 416's to try out as a smaller accompaniment to my 460 and I have taken a very strong liking to the 416. I find the recoil to be mild and the round is not picky to load for. The bullets have a respectable BC for a rifle in the DG category. There is no question I would run it on a one gun safari for DG and PG and I would likely shoot it on a PG only hunt. You can tune one of the 300 or 350gr bullets up to some fairly impressive speeds and should you cross paths with an unruly critter such as a Buff or the like then you are properly armed. Kind of like taking enough gun for a grizzly while on a sheep hunt in grizzly country.

I think there are 2 calibers that could cover just about anything in Africa...375 and 416. Or better said, the area between .375 to .416 is extremely versatile and can cover everything from duiker to dangerous game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg