Anyone else shooting doves today?

Elkeater

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 14, 2023
Messages
522
Reaction score
1,776
Location
Arizona, USA
Media
49
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
2
Hunted
USA and RSA
We don’t have the best dove hunting here due to little to no agriculture but I got out for a bit this morning to sit some tanks.

Spot number one had a deer hunter on it already so I went to an area with a few cattle troughs. No luck there. Drove to another area and found a tank that somehow had water in it after being dry for 2 years. Sat for 20 minutes killed 3 with 3 shots but had to go home. Still a few birds coming in when I left so I’ll take the kids and let them shoot a few this afternoon.
IMG_6132.jpeg
 
Nope. waiting for them to arrive. Whitewings usually appear by middle of the month. Rarely enough mourning doves to make it worthwhile for the opener.
 
Dove have been spotty around here but everywhere has a few. Finally found a farm pond that had about 200 around but will wait because we have some friends coming later this week. Lots of rain so every pond and waterhole is full. Once the corn and milo get cut the fields will get hammered.
 
We don’t have the best dove hunting here due to little to no agriculture but I got out for a bit this morning to sit some tanks.

Spot number one had a deer hunter on it already so I went to an area with a few cattle troughs. No luck there. Drove to another area and found a tank that somehow had water in it after being dry for 2 years. Sat for 20 minutes killed 3 with 3 shots but had to go home. Still a few birds coming in when I left so I’ll take the kids and let them shoot a few this afternoon.
View attachment 710971
Ours have not started yet
Pity because we just cut hay last week so there here now
But I have a field of sougram planted that we will cut the week before opening day
 
Ours have not started yet
Pity because we just cut hay last week so there here now
But I have a field of sougram planted that we will cut the week before opening day
I will probably do like last year and never fire a shot just watch the boys
 
I just skipped it , till next Friday, when we can hunt Friday-Sunday and maybe get a few
 
They're all over the place in my neighborhood. I'm heading out next weekend.
 
Not today. I usually head to the public hunting grounds opening day, but with opening day a Holiday, not a chance. Next, weekend headed for a Ranger Firearms group hunt in Pearsall, Texas for the special White wing hunt. The following weekend for the South Texas DSC group hunt in Devine, Texas.
 
Our season opens next week. If we get the corn off this week it’s going to be outstanding.
 
I haven't gotten to an opener in a few years. I did get to the zoo along with 50k of my closest friends.
 
I haven't gotten to an opener in a few years. I did get to the zoo along with 50k of my closest friends.
I’ve heard that tags are expensive at the zoo…
 
True but you can work on shot angles all day long with corn dogs and Slurpees close by.
 
True but you can work on shot angles all day long with corn dogs and Slurpees close by.
Take a laser pointer to teach your kids proper shot placement. I’m sure the zoo staff would be supportive of an educational outing…
 
I got pulled away from opening day trip, but get to do a little longer trip this coming weekend instead, plus it's with friends next weekend so makes it better.
 
Congrats on the doves!

There is only one good dove hunting spot within less than a 1.5 hour drive from me, its a public wildlife management area they plant sunflower fields at.

For opening day they limit the number of hunters to avoid overcrowding and I didn't get a slot. So I arranged my work schedule so I can start work late tomorrow and can get out there and hunt sunrise tomorrow morning, hopefully there will still be plenty left.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,254
Messages
1,570,752
Members
169,146
Latest member
akemisuk
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top