Any nighttime predator hunters here?

My wife has a sister and brother in law that live in Marion, I live on the coast we need to try and make a plan.
Get in touch when up this way. Happy to take you out and get you a yote. We will also be at beach several times this summer. I’ll bring my kit just in case.

We can shoot bobcats at night in Alabama? Thought it was only coyotes and hogs with a special license and raccoon and possum?

I shoot the cats in the daytime.

Heartiest congratulations.

I’ve also done a bit of nighttime predator hunting as well, over the years.
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2285.jpeg
IMG_1527.jpeg
IMG_1525.jpeg
IMG_1536.jpeg

To clear up any confusion, the cat was shot before 30 minutes after sunset.
I was really asking a serious question, I haven’t looked at a printed regulation book in a long time, now if I need to know something I just look at the Alabama outdoor website. Heck I never thought baiting deer would be legal here much less hunting pigs and coyotes at night.

Reactions: WAB
I live in Birmingham and my farms in Perry county. Say when and I’m there.
I have only Deer hunted in Alabama - Eufala, in January 20 years ago and didn’t see much, was warm —-70s most days. I know there is some good deer hunting there but I was unable to find it on my one trip.

I have only Deer hunted in Alabama - Eufala, in January 20 years ago and didn’t see much, was warm —-70s most days. I know there is some good deer hunting there but I was unable to find it on my one trip.
From about 1980-2000 I hunted ducks and later geese on the Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge, I saw some huge bucks around the refuge. At one time that county was well known for big bucks. The refuge was open to bow hunting but I never took advantage of the opportunity.

I shoot quite a few foxes every year. The great majority at night. Cut my teeth on them with a shotgun and a lamp walking them up on a windy night to within 30 yards.
Things have progressed now with Thermal/NV And centrefire rifles. 22/250 is my tool. I use bait pipes with scraps off deer, skinned pheasant, pigeon etc.

IMG_3083.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot quite a few foxes every year. The great majority at night. Cut my teeth on them with a shotgun and a lamp walking them up on a windy night to within 30 yards.
Things have progressed now with Thermal/NV And centrefire rifles. 22/250 is my tool. I use bait pipes with scraps off deer, skinned pheasant, pigeon etc.
SIKA98k: What is a “bait pipe”? I trap Fox & Coyote - helps my Chickens live longer. Found Coyote harder to catch and also harder to “call” even at Night. Bait worked well up in NY during Winter after snow was on the ground, Fox came in also but in NY Coyote were more numerous.

SIKA98k: What is a “bait pipe”? I trap Fox & Coyote - helps my Chickens live longer. Found Coyote harder to catch and also harder to “call” even at Night. Bait worked well up in NY during Winter after snow was on the ground, Fox came in also but in NY Coyote were more numerous.
A bait pipe is simply a 2-3 foot long section of drainage pipe similar to the one in the picture. Screwed,nailed or wired to a stake.
I toss in various things that will attract foxes, offal etc. cheap dog nuts work. A trail camera tells me when the fox comes to feed. After 2-3 nights I have a pattern and set up in an over watch position nearby.

Thermal changed the game considerably - can be lots to see while calling predators. More than once, have had pigs come to calls.

I’ve only recently started using thermals for coyote hunting. It really extends the hunting season! Getting to hunt on a Friday night is awesome.

Have hunted at night for a few decades with a lamp, just ordered a Pulsar thermal scope and monocular today, I’m looking forward to the large leap forward that thermal equipment is going to bring. I have been watching the technology for a couple of years and feel that things are leveling out in terms of product development, Pulsar is making some of its models upgradable and giving 5 years warranty.

Coyotes are in serious trouble!

Big recommendation for Predator Hunter Outdoors a Michigan based business who is giving great deals and great customer service on Pulsar and other products. If you are looking give these guys a call.

Pulsar scope and monocular or binos are a gamechanger. I absolutely love mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertinaS

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.