Ancillary non-hunting ideas safari first timers should think about?

channelkat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
Any non-hunting opportunities a first timer should watch out for/ consider on safari?

I was thinking about what constellations I should look for and whether the southern cross might be visible during my SEP visit to Mozambique. This got me wondering about what other ancillary things I might be overlooks when focusing on the hunt? Any ideas for us first timers?

Trying to learn as much as possible for myself this trip and to share with my children the next trip!

“Roberts Bird Guide” is a standard for bird identification and they have an app.

I dont worry about looking a bird up right there on hunting time and remember size,color,beak shape, spots/streaks, get a quick pic etc; and spend down time looking and making ID’s.Best in one trip is 142. My Southern Africa overall is 300+ across a wide range of habitats. Fills up the mid day breaks PH’s like to take, I cant nap I need to keep occupied.

Ask your PH on both these, but I really enjoy bringing my own trail cameras to set up at waterholes and fishing could be an option for you in Mozambique.

“Roberts Bird Guide” is a standard for bird identification and they have an app.

I dont worry about looking a bird up right there on hunting time and remember size,color,beak shape, spots/streaks, get a quick pic etc; and spend down time looking and making ID’s.Best in one trip is 142. My Southern Africa overall is 300+ across a wide range of habitats. Fills up the mid day breaks PH’s like to take, I cant nap I need to keep occupied.
That’s perfect! Was looking for something like that.

Ask your PH on both these, but I really enjoy bringing my own trail cameras to set up at waterholes and fishing could be an option for you in Mozambique.
Never would have thought about trail cams! Asked too late about fishing to get in any good fishing this trip…

Never would have thought about trail cams! Asked too late about fishing to get in any good fishing this trip…
Does SEP not mean September? If they hunt crocs and hippo in same area they will have a boat to go fishing for an evening.

Yes September. There is a little fishing near camp. Another member (Matt Vejar) shared details/photos of the area and said camp has some small catfish. Through Matt and the PH I have been advised not to get my hopes up too high, as the river is pretty heavily netted. Had I sense enough to ask in the beginning I would have allowed for more time to fish cahora bassa. At the time I was just too excited to squeeze in a hunt this year and took fishing as a given.

Congrats on your first trip to Africa. Mozambique is a wonderful destination. Although be prepared for TIA in your travels and make sure you bring along patience in good supply.
What area will you be hunting and who is the outfitter?
You might try to learn some words in the trackers native language, this can produce some laughter in addition to being something you can take home with you. It’s a great way to engage with the guys who will be busting their butts for you. Although Moz might be more Portuguese than a tribal dialect such as Shona. I once asked the trackers how to say Venus in Shona. We were in the middle of nowhere late at night and waiting for a pick-up by the hunting truck. This produced some extended linguistic gymnastics and had everyone rolling on the ground with laughter.
Have fun and be sure to tell us about your adventure.

Thanks IDaRam! When I first decided to pull the trigger on Africa, I thought I would be going to Tanzania and began studying Swahili, but when I ended up booking Moz (Niassa, Kambako Safaris) I stopped and wasn't sure what to study. Kind of afraid to study Portuguese and risk screwing up my Spanish anymore. My brain seems to categorize things as either English or "other". When I try to speak Spanish particularly, it tends to come out as a jumbled mix of Spanish, French and Japanese.

Thanks IDaRam! When I first decided to pull the trigger on Africa, I thought I would be going to Tanzania and began studying Swahili, but when I ended up booking Moz (Niassa, Kambako Safaris) I stopped and wasn't sure what to study. Kind of afraid to study Portuguese and risk screwing up my Spanish anymore. My brain seems to categorize things as either English or "other". When I try to speak Spanish particularly, it tends to come out as a jumbled mix of Spanish, French and Japanese.
You will have a wonderful hunt with Kambako Safaris. Jumbo Moore runs a good operation. I believe they have Niassa Blocks L7 & L8? Kim Nichols is a PH for Kambako and hunts those areas. I hunted with him a couple years ago in Coutada 9. Please say hi from Dan in Idaho if you bump into him.
I agree with you, Portuguese will really mess with your Spnish! Lol. What a screwy language. Although most people probably say that about english.

I
You will have a wonderful hunt with Kambako Safaris. Jumbo Moore runs a good operation. I believe they have Niassa Blocks L7 & L8? Kim Nichols is a PH for Kambako and hunts those areas. I hunted with him a couple years ago in Coutada 9. Please say hi from Dan in Idaho if you bump into him.
I agree with you, Portuguese will really mess with your Spnish! Lol. What a screwy language. Although most people probably say that about english.
I'll say hi to Kim for you! He must be quite the guy; he has been singled out a number of times now. Looking forward to meeting him.

Last time I was there spring flowers were just starting to bloom. I took lots of pictures. Still unable to identify most of them. This one was particularly intriguing. Appears to be in daffodil family? Most of this species had finished blooming but this guy was late.
20220828_105506.jpg

Any help identifying would be appreciated.

I
Last time I was there spring flowers were just starting to bloom. I took lots of pictures. Still unable to identify most of them. This one was particularly intriguing. Appears to be in daffodil family? Most of this species had finished blooming but this guy was late.
View attachment 537563
When I downloaded the Dinsdale's suggested bird ap I noticed inaturalist now has an app. I have used it in the past and really liked it. I bet they could confirm that one for you pretty quick! I was going to check into whether the inaturalist community was active with African species or another group was more appropriate.

Local birds and fauna are great things to focus on as other have mentioned. If you like photography there are often many photo opportunities for game, birds, fauna, local folks etc. My wife, a non hunter, has several iconic photos of various game animals, birds and the local people that we have encountered on many of our hunts.

View attachment 537563
Where/when was pic taken?

Theres a whole category of Fynbos plants that use poor sandy soils, thousands. That flower structure is unique and I’d guess that’ll be the key to ID.

I know someone in a chat for a you tube live stream that’d know, I can try sending a DM to her given more specifics. She’s a biologist in SA.

Where/when was pic taken?

Theres a whole category of Fynbos plants that use poor sandy soils, thousands. That flower structure is unique and I’d guess that’ll be the key to ID.

I know someone in a chat for a you tube live stream that’d know, I can try sending a DM to her given more specifics. She’s a biologist in SA.
Thanks! Photo was taken late August in Eastern Cape. Not far from Danniell Cheetah Project.

Last edited:
Thanks! Photo was taken late August in Eastern Cape. Not far from Danniell Cheetah Project.
Looks like inaturalist has a lot in Africa. I am not super efficient with the website anymore, but have been combing through it to see if that plant has been identified already... I am very curios myself!

Take a good quality camera and take pictures of anything of interest. It can be done anywhere and anytime during your trip.
Flora, Fauna, Stars and sunsets and of course the geography and people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg