Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Nambia, & South Africa
An African Cooks Perspective

I have written before that there are three times when a PH or guide is “scared”.

First, is when he goes to the airport to meet a client he has never met before, the second is when a client opens up his gun case and attempts to shoot a target, and the third time is when he is charged by a wounded animal.

Well, in conversations I have had during past trips in Africa, the camp cook looks with great in trepidation upon the vehicle pulling up into the yard with the folks he (or she) has to cook for during the next week or so.

Granted she has seen the client’s preference list of foods and drink, but quite often that is vague at best, but when the truck drives in, she gets a knot in her stomach.

I say “she”, as most of the time the camp cook is a woman, but then again I have had men do just a fine a job.

Being the cook is a thankless job. They are the first one up in the morning to be sure that the coffee is on and breakfast is set out for the first clients who show up early.

Trick is, they say they will be up at 6 AM for coffee, and show up at 6:30 while the cook sits there waiting patiently, wishing she had that half hour to sleep.

She can’t make any toast until she sees the client, as it will be cold if put out ahead of time.

One guy likes peanut butter, (creamy only), while the next wants crunchy only, while the next one wants strawberry jam, and not peach, but nobody told her that.

If she is serving eggs, every person wants them a different way, a pan of scrambled like we got in the army will just not do.

That half an hour sleep she was craving was because she is also the last one in the sack at night. The cook has to clean up after everyone sits around the fire and swaps lies until 10 or 11 PM, and then walks away leaving a mess of dirty glasses and desert plates.

The reason they sat around so late is that somebody shot an animal right a dark, and it took longer to find it than expected, take the pictures, and then get it loaded to come back home. By this time it was 9 PM and the roast she had in the oven for a 7 PM dinner is now very well done, of which someone is sure to remind her.

So each night is a crapshoot as to what time the troops will return to camp. Actually she does not even dare start very much of the dinner until they are all in. Then they can sit around the fire and tip a few beers, while she works her butt off.

At least when they are in camp, she can make them wait an extra half an hour and nobody complains too much.

Oh, then there is always the client’s wife, (or girl friend), that thinks the cook is her personal servant and waitress, (or slave).

Like when she comes in for the night, and says “Honey, send a Vodka & Tonic over to my tent, (please)”, then takes over an hour to get made up for dinner.

A dinner she barely eats, because she does not know what everything is, and complains about it openly or picks at everything, and eats nothing.

Oh, did I mention the alcohol consumption in the camp?

Seems a lot of camps include Beer, Wine and Drinks in the daily rate. This is just fine if a person drinks in moderation, but since it is included (free), human nature soon takes over. Some camp managers have pointed this out to the client that it is getting out of hand, and promptly been reminded of what the brochure said, “Drinks Included”.

How or why a person would want to get a snoot full every night, and then have to get up with a pounding hangover the next morning, and then go and hunt is beyond me.

It also seems that when the consumption gets a little high, some men can’t be nice around the cook, (or women), and constantly make off color remarks in her presence.

What is even worse is when one touches her or conducts himself in an inappropriate manner.

One cook told me, that the first time it happens, the clients gets a pan along side of his head with an “oops”, pardon me.

The second time it happens, she just drops the hot pan in his lap, and tells him to explain the burns to his wife when he gets home.

Granted her rebuttal will kill the chance of a tip from the client, but so be it. She is there as an employee, doing her job just like the PH does, and she are not there for the client’s entertainment.

So be nice, and treat the cook with just as much respect as you treat your PH. The cook is one of most under paid and over worked persons in camp.

There is just no reason that the clients can’t take a minute after dinner to carry a couple pots and pans or dirty dishes to the kitchen. The Cook does not need to be a full time bus boy too. Then when is time to turn in for the night, take time to carry your drink glasses or beer bottles in as well.

Beside, if you are nice, the cook just might go out of her way to make you special deserts once in a while.

Be a gentleman at all times, and you wives and or girl friends, take time to help once in while too, it goes along way towards the harmony of the camp.

There, enough said is enough.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

I have written before that there are three times when a PH or guide is “scared”.

First, is when he goes to the airport to meet a client he has never met before, the second is when a client opens up his gun case and attempts to shoot a target, and the third time is when he is charged by a wounded animal.

Well, in conversations I have had during past trips in Africa, the camp cook looks with great in trepidation upon the vehicle pulling up into the yard with the folks he (or she) has to cook for during the next week or so.

Granted she has seen the client’s preference list of foods and drink, but quite often that is vague at best, but when the truck drives in, she gets a knot in her stomach.

I say “she”, as most of the time the camp cook is a woman, but then again I have had men do just a fine a job.

Being the cook is a thankless job. They are the first one up in the morning to be sure that the coffee is on and breakfast is set out for the first clients who show up early.

Trick is, they say they will be up at 6 AM for coffee, and show up at 6:30 while the cook sits there waiting patiently, wishing she had that half hour to sleep.

She can’t make any toast until she sees the client, as it will be cold if put out ahead of time.

One guy likes peanut butter, (creamy only), while the next wants crunchy only, while the next one wants strawberry jam, and not peach, but nobody told her that.

If she is serving eggs, every person wants them a different way, a pan of scrambled like we got in the army will just not do.

That half an hour sleep she was craving was because she is also the last one in the sack at night. The cook has to clean up after everyone sits around the fire and swaps lies until 10 or 11 PM, and then walks away leaving a mess of dirty glasses and desert plates.

The reason they sat around so late is that somebody shot an animal right a dark, and it took longer to find it than expected, take the pictures, and then get it loaded to come back home. By this time it was 9 PM and the roast she had in the oven for a 7 PM dinner is now very well done, of which someone is sure to remind her.

So each night is a crapshoot as to what time the troops will return to camp. Actually she does not even dare start very much of the dinner until they are all in. Then they can sit around the fire and tip a few beers, while she works her butt off.

At least when they are in camp, she can make them wait an extra half an hour and nobody complains too much.

Oh, then there is always the client’s wife, (or girl friend), that thinks the cook is her personal servant and waitress, (or slave).

Like when she comes in for the night, and says “Honey, send a Vodka & Tonic over to my tent, (please)”, then takes over an hour to get made up for dinner.

A dinner she barely eats, because she does not know what everything is, and complains about it openly or picks at everything, and eats nothing.

Seems a lot of camps include Beer, Wine and Drinks in the daily rate. This is just fine if a person drinks in moderation, but since it is included (free), human nature soon takes over. Some camp managers have pointed this out to the client that it is getting out of hand, and promptly been reminded of what the brochure said, “Drinks Included”.

How or why a person would want to get a snoot full every night, and then have to get up with a pounding hangover the next morning, and then go and hunt is beyond me.

It also seems that when the consumption gets a little high, some men can’t be nice around the cook, (or women), and constantly make off color remarks in her presence.

What is even worse is when one touches her or conducts himself in an inappropriate manner.

One cook told me, that the first time it happens, the clients gets a pan along side of his head with an “oops”, pardon me.

The second time it happens, she just drops the hot pan in his lap, and tells him to explain the burns to his wife when he gets home.

Granted her rebuttal will kill the chance of a tip from the client, but so be it. She is there as an employee, doing her job just like the PH does, and she are not there for the client’s entertainment.

So be nice, and treat the cook with just as much respect as you treat your PH. The cook is one of most under paid and over worked persons in camp.

There is just no reason that the clients can’t take a minute after dinner to carry a couple pots and pans or dirty dishes to the kitchen. The Cook does not need to be a full time bus boy too. Then when is time to turn in for the night, take time to carry your drink glasses or beer bottles in as well.

Beside, if you are nice, the cook just might go out of her way to make you special deserts once in a while.

Be a gentleman at all times, and you wives and or girl friends, take time to help once in while too, it goes along way towards the harmony of the camp.

@terry Blauwkamp
Our cook Monica and her helper were the most fantastic people, always happy and smiling and you were greeted with a smile and good morning every day. To Monica every day was a beautiful day and she was treated with the utmost respect by us all and her boss at all times. It was great having a cheerful greeting every time you spoke to her.
My wife accompanied Monica and Liezel to the local church on Sunday and they all had a great time..
My best time with Monica was a very privileged one. I was allowed to cook in her kitchen for everyone. The biggest surprise was when I served Monica and her helper a meal and thanked them for all their work. They had a meal of Atlantic salmon, veg and a secret cream sauce I do. It was obvious that they were not used to a client cooking and making a fuss over them. It was the least I could do for them. The PH and his wife also said it was ok to cook and they provided what I needed.
I did leave Monica with my sauce recipe for her to use.
Such a simple thing bought so much joy to her and her friend and I got as much doing it.
It isn't hard to be nice.
Bob

I also make it a point of being nice to my cook, and they really appreciate it !

I agree that the camp cook should be respected and tipped well if they do a good job. As noted, they do have ways of getting even if treated badly and that capability reminds me of the T shirt "Camp Cook, Death from Within.".

yea I was raised hunting at a camp with staff and the rule has always been and should always be in my opinion that if you are rude to the staff you are sent home and fined. If bad enough never allowed to return. There is no excuse in my opinion for being rude to staff.

Last edited:
Our cook Bongi was great. The only thing better the Lamb roast on arrival night.
All the staff @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS were great. I liked up the trackers and skinners in my Wildebeeste picture as they are all part of my adventure.
My PH Lionel did a little cooking on the Brai for us. He done some nice cuts of game that way.

Ok from 2009....haven't read it apart from first few lines as they were enough...why is anyone scared to go meet the client at the airport...and why are scared when they open their gun case ?....really couldn't be bothered after that...

Ok from 2009....haven't read it apart from first few lines as they were enough...why is anyone scared to go meet the client at the airport...and why are scared when they open their gun case ?....really couldn't be bothered after that...
@spike.t
Some may have had bad experiences with clients so once bitten twice shy. Not everyone is nice, not everyone brings the right rifle and knows how to use it and some think they are better than everyone else.
Each client is different and until you meet them you don't know what you're in for. Usually you can tell by first meeting what sort of client you will have.
My PH has had a couple of doozies that he was glad to see leave.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross