Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I have set up a trip to Namibia this May. I will be flying straight into Windhoek via Frankfurt. At first I was just taking 2 rifles in one case and another piece of checked luggage for clothes, etc. and ammunition. But the idea of one or two species with a bow is a possibility if everything is going well. At first the thought was a big case that would hold everything, but the overweight charges are ugly and honestly beyond this trip it's not too useful. My other thought is to have the rifles in the 2 rifle Pelican case and the bow in a good SKB case, far more useful to me in the long run. I was figuring to put clothes and such split in between the bow case and my carry on to keep it to 2 pieces of checked baggage. The one problem I possibly see is where to put ammunition. I know they don't want it in with the rifles, but is is OK in the bow case? That would make this far easier than another piece of luggage.
Thanks
Ryan

Brickburn

I would have to call and check with the ammo in a bow case.

I do know that in South Africa they wanted to weigh the ammo and case to see if it made weight.

Ammo being in a bow case would not make weight...from what i see.

Brickburn

I would have to call and check with the ammo in a bow case.

I do know that in South Africa they wanted to weigh the ammo and case to see if it made weight.

Ammo being in a bow case would not make weight...from what i see.

thanks James.

I'll use a separate container (Pelican 1200) for ammo inside the Bow Case.
Last time SAA wanted to throw the ammo on separately for the return trip. ie, they would not allow it in the checked bag.
I'll be calling as I get closer to boarding to make sure of no new rule changes.

I sent an email to Air Namibia a couple days ago but haven't received a reply. I'd assume it would be like putting ammo in your luggage since you obviously can't shoot it out of the bow, but assumptions can get you in trouble. I don't recall a requirement for a lockable case but if so I'm pretty sure I could put a lockable case in their by cutting out some foam.

An update for all interested. I contacted my hosts in Namibia and they said ammunition can be put in the bow case since the bow is not considered a firearm and comes off on the regular luggage carousel at the airport instead of the police carousel where all the firearms come off at to be checked. I'm still waiting on a confirmation on this from Air Namibia. No word on a locked ammo box, but it can't hurt.

And (perhaps) finally. US Airways emailed the EXACT policies from their website so I called them. Finally I got a straight answer. Because of all the possibilities the agent said they go with combined separate polices.So as the policies go I can put the ammunition in any piece of luggage, including the bow case, as long as I follow the ammunition policies. Can do.

And (perhaps) finally. US Airways emailed the EXACT policies from their website so I called them. Finally I got a straight answer. Because of all the possibilities the agent said they go with combined separate polices.So as the policies go I can put the ammunition in any piece of luggage, including the bow case, as long as I follow the ammunition policies. Can do.

Sounds about right.

Isn't it fun trying to get answers from big corporations full of people who want to dodge the bullet.

To all, I am back from my trip.No problems with the ammunition in the bow case either direction. US Airways in Alaska when leaving had a small fit I didn't have a Frankfurt transit permit even though they would ticket it through, which is all that is needed. Their site says you must and they don't take the time to separate differrent airports so the US agents don't know any different. It took the better part of 15 minutes of debating to convince them otherwise and that if I was wrong I'd take the heat. I got to Frankfurt and asked them if it my luggage kept going straight to Air Namibia and the US Airways cusomters service said "of course" like it was the silliest question.
As a quick aside I actually attempted to get the permit about a month prior and it is not a quick process any more. it took almost 3 weeks to get to me. so I had to take the risk of transitting through as everyone said. And it did, both directions. Namibia took some time with the Police because there was only one officer to check things through at first but we got in at 5 am so what can you expect. Two more officers showed up about 6-6:30 and things moved much faster.
Great trip with a day in Windhoek to look around/acclimate, 10 days hunting and 2 days in Etosha. 7 animals taken, all with one shot each. Nothing with my rifles went farther than 30 yards, a couple in their tracks. And the bow shot blue wildebeest went 100 yards before dropping in sight. That makes a PH happy.

Ryan, Glad you had a great hunt. Please post pics and give us some details if you can!

glad to hear you never had any problems ryan and congrates on your hunt mate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg