Ammo hard case for Nitro Express calibers

This goes round and round again so let me give you what the rules say SHOULD happen and what DOES happen.

First, understand why. TSA is looking for unsafe items that could be in the belly of the plane. Thus, they want TSA locks on ammunition so they can verify it is not unsafe (e.g. loose powder). The entire point of TSA locks is so they CAN and WILL open and inspect the items. They will do this with you present or not, regardless of what the rules state. They will break your locks out of incompetence, even TSA locks. That’s why you ALWAYS bring extra TSA locks to put on after they incompetently break your locks manhandling them. They will cut them if they can’t get into the item, then they will inform you that the item cannot fly because now its missing locks. Hence, you bring extras.

Second, guns are an ITAR item internationally restricted. They must have NON-TSA locks. NO ONE but you is supposed to be able to open them. Why? Because any illegal item in that gun case is deemed to be in your possession and you can be prosecuted. Hence, they want non-tsa locks so they can say “you packed it, you have the key, you’re guilty of X because its all on you buddy”.

Lastly, every hole has to be filled whether TSA or Non-TSA. If you have 44 lock holes, you need 44 locks. Depending on how big of a jerk you’re dealing with and how much they hate you, they’ll enforce to the absurd if required.

I would never talk to my outfitter about any of this stuff. Outfitters in Africa don’t know a thing about the USA or our laws. They also assume reasonable people can be reasonable. Neither of those things apply to TSA or CBP. Know the US laws and rules, do not assume someone that is an expert operator in Africa is going to know what this week’s latest American nonsense happens to be. It’s all on you.
We can go round and round on this I guess. The government is not a person! TSA locks are legal and encouraged if you want your guns to arrive. I just had this discussion with a lawyer friend of mine and at first he had your POV. After getting his 4457 and then going in the airport and talking to TSA himself he now knows that TSA locks are not only legal but the best plan.
To each his own. Bring on the AH posts of the poor fellow whose gun didnt show up in Africa because he used key locks and could not be found to unlock the gun case before takeoff!
Philip

I use a Pelican. 1250 or 1450?

holds a 3-gun safari worth of ammo easily. You run out of weight allowed before exceeding its volume.
Thanks. Must be 1450. I'm not aware of a 1250 model.

I'm getting a used Pelican 1450 from Ebay for about $70 shipped. Will report back on it.

I finally had time to go check my collection of Pelican cases! I used the Pelican 1300 on my last safari to Zim and then to Tanzania. It will hold 2 boxes of .470 plus 5 boxes of .300Win. I needed this much due to the fact I had a 10 day hunt in Zim followed by a 10 day hunt in Massailand. I was right at the weight limit!
I use the 1200 for most PG trips and it will hold 5 boxes of .300Win or similar. I buy most of these on EBay. They are widely used by camera companies and come with little wear. They look like what a brand new one would look like after only one trip.
Philip

Thanks Philip. It sounds like the 1200 Pelican won't work with your NE ammo either. Mine is definitely too small for factory boxes of 500 NE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaeger Fischer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.