Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
I ordered a Pelican 1200 but it's not big enough to carry factory boxes of 500NE. I was looking for something that could carry at least one box of solids and softs and also 1 box of 375. I thought the 1200 would do it but it's too small for the larger nitro calibers in factory boxes. What are the rest of you using for transporting nitro express ammo that stands up well to airline travel? I was thinking about the Pelican IM2100 or V200 hard case.

What hard case are some of you using for nitro express ammo? Pelican 1200 is too small. Any photos of your setup would be appreciated.

Harbor freight has some that places for pad locks for about 30 dollars. Your ammo box must be locked and travels in your checked baggage.

I second Harbor Frieght for about $30. I used the Apache 2800 for two boxes of 500NE and 2 boxes of 375 H&H. I used zip ties for transport to save weight. I just cut them off for airport inspection and put new ones on after inspection. No issues on my last trip. I actually put this in my luggage and had no issues except on one leg of the journey they asked me to separate as a third piece if luggage. I had to pay extra in ONLY local currency.
20230211_060014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest you confirm with your airline, before you make a purchase.
When flying from the Uk, they require a locked metal case. 5kg or less.
I use a locked cash box, in a soft case. Mind you they have never checked

Are you required to have the ammo in factory boxes per the airline or country you are flying in to/out of?

If not, you can load 30 rounds of 500NE and 20 of the 375 into an MTM case and put it in the Pelican 1200. Use some extra foam inside the MTM to keep things snug. That will get you close.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1564140267

Also be aware that there is a 5 Kg (11 lb) weight limit on ammo that includes the box and locks it travels in and the Pelican 1200 with no foam comes in at 1.2 Kg. Check this out before you get too far into it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 8.02.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 8.02.21 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Harbor freight has some that places for pad locks for about 30 dollars. Your ammo box must be locked and travels in your checked baggage.
It's far better to buy a used Pelican on EBay that the Harbor freight version IMO.

On another note, does the ammo box need to have locks? TSA or regular locks?

I just use TSA locks, that way they can look at it if they want. Also it needs to be locked in South Africa and the TSA locks qualify

TSA is not supposed to do anything unless you are present . We used master locks on all gun and ammunition cases. We took all to customs and tsa a month before for approval. Having said that, tsa can do anything they want, they basically have no oversight. Talk to your outfitter.

This goes round and round again so let me give you what the rules say SHOULD happen and what DOES happen.

First, understand why. TSA is looking for unsafe items that could be in the belly of the plane. Thus, they want TSA locks on ammunition so they can verify it is not unsafe (e.g. loose powder). The entire point of TSA locks is so they CAN and WILL open and inspect the items. They will do this with you present or not, regardless of what the rules state. They will break your locks out of incompetence, even TSA locks. That’s why you ALWAYS bring extra TSA locks to put on after they incompetently break your locks manhandling them. They will cut them if they can’t get into the item, then they will inform you that the item cannot fly because now its missing locks. Hence, you bring extras.

Second, guns are an ITAR item internationally restricted. They must have NON-TSA locks. NO ONE but you is supposed to be able to open them. Why? Because any illegal item in that gun case is deemed to be in your possession and you can be prosecuted. Hence, they want non-tsa locks so they can say “you packed it, you have the key, you’re guilty of X because its all on you buddy”.

Lastly, every hole has to be filled whether TSA or Non-TSA. If you have 44 lock holes, you need 44 locks. Depending on how big of a jerk you’re dealing with and how much they hate you, they’ll enforce to the absurd if required.

I would never talk to my outfitter about any of this stuff. Outfitters in Africa don’t know a thing about the USA or our laws. They also assume reasonable people can be reasonable. Neither of those things apply to TSA or CBP. Know the US laws and rules, do not assume someone that is an expert operator in Africa is going to know what this week’s latest American nonsense happens to be. It’s all on you.

My outfitter/book agent were American and were up on every aspect of the trip. I guess I booked well.

Like @rookhawk stated. TSA locks for me on checked bags and ammo case. Four trips over and have had my bags checked every trip and ammo case opened. TSA inspection cards place in them each time.
Master Combination locks on gun case. Extra locks in every bag.

On another note, does the ammo box need to have locks? TSA or regular locks?
Either is fine for the ammo box. I only use TSA locks however.

TSA is not supposed to do anything unless you are present . We used master locks on all gun and ammunition cases. We took all to customs and tsa a month before for approval. Having said that, tsa can do anything they want, they basically have no oversight. Talk to your outfitter.
Incorrect. They open your gun case and swab it, check for the attestation form you sign at the counter, then Put their little form in there. I’ve almost never been present when they’ve done this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,