Americase has ceased selling weapon cases

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I hope this isn't from anti-pressures, but their website has a banner on the bottom: "in order to better serve our commercial customers...." "...Americase is discontinuing..." "...All on clearance and available on a limited basis."

Americase was truly the only "Africa grade" airline case for weapons that I had found. Their durability was vastly greater than pelicans and skbs. If they have something you like left in stock, you might want to get on it quickly.

Tuff-Pak the only way to travel now days.

Tuff-Pak the only way to travel now days.

Let me tell you why I don't like Tuff-Pak. Airlines are getting very strict about firearms. They don't like that they have other things packed in them (all your clothes and junk to pad the rifles) and some argue they are not "purposely built to hold weapons".

I know a hundred folks will rush to the thread to give anecdotes saying they did so and everything went just fine, JUST AS THEY DID 5 years ago when they argued they could throw the guns and the ammo together in a Tuff-Pak and get it through airlines back then. (that claim of course now fails 100% of the time)

I believe the only "industrial grade" and "purposefully built" airline case for weapons that exist today are Pelican and SKB along with their clones and copies like doskocil, plano, etc. I'm sure people have gotten away with a variety of alternatives some of the time, but regulations and rule keeping are beyond out of hand with the airlines and the disdain and harm they allow your weapons to endure out of spite during travel is getting worse.

Impact Case and Container makes rifle cases very similar looking to the Americase

Attachments

• 2021-02-18.png
    2021-02-18.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • 2021-02-18 (1).png
    2021-02-18 (1).png
    103.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Our last 8 out of the country trips have all be with up to 4 TUFF- PAK cases and yes they all have golf club stickers all over them.
Unless you like to advertise what you are traveling with. ( I don't)

I have a Americase safari case that holds three rifles 1 flat in the lid and 2 more horizontal in the case. It also weighs over 25 lbs ( If you want to buy it complete with my information on an attached factory engraved plaque we can work something out) which was not bad when South African air was way lax on the weight of gun cases,

We also use the 2 rifle pelican cases with wheels, Up at the ranch and when traveling to the surrounding western states to hunt,( back of the truck or jeep)

Even a brand new baggage person knows what a gun case looks like. With out you having to play show and tell with it,

But hell why would they want my golf club case, When your gun case is sitting right there next to it.
Just my observation.........

That statement at the bottom of the page is pretty clear.

with the airlines and the disdain and harm they allow your weapons to endure out of spite during travel is getting worse.
That is why I like the Tuff-Pak especially the smaller versions usable with breakdown rifles. I can use a couple of Murray Custom Leather Breakdown Rifle Cases inside the Tuff-Pak with cut foam to pad the case. I have never had a problem with the Tuff-Pak and taken on several very recent trips. THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE RIFLES!

I will take a Tuff-Pak over an Americase any day. I don't understand the problem. Mine is a dedicated rifle case and I never pack ammo with a rifle.

I'd say based on their statement, they've clearly caved to the antis.

If you find one, the AT-2gun safari case with two rifles, scopes removed, gets you under 50lb coach baggage rules. The AT-3gun safari case with three rifles, scopes removed, gets you under the 70lb biz class weight rules.

Let me tell you why I don't like Tuff-Pak. Airlines are getting very strict about firearms. They don't like that they have other things packed in them (all your clothes and junk to pad the rifles) and some argue they are not "purposely built to hold weapons".

I know a hundred folks will rush to the thread to give anecdotes saying they did so and everything went just fine, JUST AS THEY DID 5 years ago when they argued they could throw the guns and the ammo together in a Tuff-Pak and get it through airlines back then. (that claim of course now fails 100% of the time)

I believe the only "industrial grade" and "purposefully built" airline case for weapons that exist today are Pelican and SKB along with their clones and copies like doskocil, plano, etc. I'm sure people have gotten away with a variety of alternatives some of the time, but regulations and rule keeping are beyond out of hand with the airlines and the disdain and harm they allow your weapons to endure out of spite during travel is getting worse.
This is true and my reason for not using the Tuffpak. Any ticket agent that thinks you are hiding something can cause you trouble. To each his own.
I have taken a Pelican case all over the world and don’t think you can really do better.
Shame about Americacase. They were always at SCI and I bought the 3 gun case but it won’t go overseas.
Philip

I’ve used the TuffPak on two safaris. I stuff a jacket in the bottom and load two rifles in soft cases into the case as well as shooting sticks. I use the Midway Pro Series soft cases. They are heavily padded. The two cased rifles and shooting sticks are a tight fit.
Another feature about the Tuffpak is that the handle area is hollow and makes a great slot for a cleaning rod.
Another AH member recently messaged me about my experience with the TuffPak and wanted to know if three rifles would fit. Using less heavily padded cases I was able to fit three rifles (each weighted between 8.5-9#) in the case and stay under 55#.

I have both Tuffpak and 3 gun Americase and have not decided which One I will use this year. I am taking 3 guns. Leaning to Tuffpak so I can put a heavy jacket in bottom for padding and shooting sticks also. But Americase seems like more protection for the guns but no room for sticks. Will decide when time gets closer and I try packing the rifles themselves.
If I were taking just 2 rifles it would be Pelican case that I have used on previous trips

They are just going where the money is. They will make a hell of a lot more money building cases for major commercial clients than the very small market of traveling hunters.

... But Americase seems like more protection for the guns but no room for sticks.

If you get the compact shooting sticks from African Sporting Creations they will compress to 26" for those up to 6' 1" and 28" for those 6' 2"+. They will fit in my suitcase.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.22.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.22.55 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.22.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.22.56 AM.png
    751.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.22.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.22.59 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 91
If you get the compact shooting sticks from African Sporting Creations they will compress to 26" for those up to 6' 1" and 28" for those 6' 2"+. They will fit in my suitcase.

The compact or even the regular shooting sticks from ASC are great and they fit in an americase. I have been able to put them in the third rifle slot on safaris where I only bring two guns and it still is under 50lbs total. I believe the days of slipping anything into the gun cases are coming to an end. I got the stink eye from the airline for a bore snake, gunsmith multi-tool, and shooting sticks in the gun case last two times i travelled. That’s again, why I don‘t like the tuffpak. Put simply, the TSA and the airlines want to have an easy job, they want to slip the rifle case through the x-ray and see nothing but guns. If they don’t know what something is, they are obligated to bust the locks to look. If they bust the locks to look, the rifles are not permitted on the flight unlocked. So it can ruin your whole trip. Quick reminder: Ammo and any other luggage MUST use TSA locks so the TSA can unlock and inspect. Firearms exclusively MUST NOT use TSA locks and has to have a lock only the owner possesses. The legal principle at work is that you can’t say that somebody slipped something into your gun case because it was deemed safe by TSA without opening it after physical inspection With proper chain of custody from locked case, scanned case, and onto the plane.

Don’t hate the messenger, this is the way it is, not saying this is the way it should be.

This is true and my reason for not using the Tuffpak. Any ticket agent that thinks you are hiding something can cause you trouble. To each his own.
I have taken a Pelican case all over the world and don’t think you can really do better.
Shame about Americacase. They were always at SCI and I bought the 3 gun case but it won’t go overseas.
Philip
Hard to believe serious, experienced crooks around airports think Tuff-paks contain golf clubs. :)
I also don't really understand the aversion some have to Pelican cases??

And, IMO, that is exactly right about security and TSA personnel getting tired of having to sort through or scrutinize guns mixed with all manner of other carp. I really want to and try to make it as easy as possible for them to recognize and inspect guns and not the other way around. I have a take-down sized Pelican with two pad lock holes. I use a cheap, small, same keyed, non-TSA padlock in each hole and carry a couple of spares in case they are broken during inspection- although have never had that happen.

I clip and tie my regular checked bag closed and don't use a lock. Same reason. I figure if they want or need to inspect, better to make it easy for them... that way they are less likely to damage or break clips, locks or zippers when they do inspect. And they do inspect, as witnessed by the TSA "calling cards" they leave.

And if you think about it, bags, cases and luggage are simply to keep your stuff protected and contained during transport and have little chance of keeping someone out, save the most casual of pick pocket types. After all, behind the curtain, they do have heavy duty bolt cutters and pry bars or if serious about theft, they'll (possibly with accomplices) just haul off with the whole bag and sort it later. :)

And, IMO, that is exactly right about security and TSA personnel getting tired of having to sort through or scrutinize guns mixed with all manner of other carp. I really want to and try to make it as easy as possible for them to recognize and inspect guns and not the other way around....

I bought my Americase recently because it was such a hassle with the TuffPack on a trip to South Dakota last November with a couple of shotguns.

TSA in past trips would just do a chemical test of the bag. This time I had to take everything out for chemical test, let him inspect the receivers then put everything back. Took several minutes at both ends of the trip. I did get the stink eye from the TSA personnel and the people on inspection line behind me.

So, TuffPacks are now relegated to interstate trips with a car. Especially, Vegas where regular gun cases have to be turned in to be locked away by security.

Remember the days of three checked bags not to exceed 70 pounds and you didn't have to worry about trying to travel on the down low? This is my old ICC 4 gun, a relic from the past.

thumbnail_20210218_115516.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I'd like to introduce myself, as a long-time lurker on this site. You will see that I have adopted the image of the greatest American president since Reagan as my icon (although that is damning with faint praise). What were all those dead people thinking when they voted against him?!

Anyway, luckily I got my order in for a 4-gun Americase last year, just before lockdown in fact. It weighs a ton. I am nervous that, when fully loaded, it may even exceed the airline maximum weight allowances.

I also have a 3-gun aluminium case which I picked up off eBay, and appears to be one of these: https://camaspath.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2020/01/CaseLineBrochure_11.28.18.pdf

It's an absolutely dreadful website, but an excellent case.

Attachments

• CaseLineBrochure_11.28.18.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 99

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TerriMcKay

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!