Airport security with gun case

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 15, 2021
Messages
189
Reaction score
262
Media
17
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Flying to South Africa in three weeks, I currently own a pelican V800 double rifle case. When I fly to Maine last year to sea duck hunt The airline said my case was to large to put in the machine and I had to leave it unlocked for a manual search. not wanting to do that on this trip was that a fluke and I should have argued through it or do I need to buy a smaller case and if so what’s the best size for a rifle and a shotgun?
 
Check airline regs re dimensions for transport of "sporting equipment". Fed regs discuss gun case must be locked with nonTSA lock. You can print off copy of the regs to show airline.
 
My understanding is when the rifle case goes to TSA you either leave the case unlocked. TSA does their inspection and lock the case your retain the key. Of course this only works on pad locks. I have always followed my case to a TSA inspection site and watched them inspect and lock the case. You cannot go into the TSA inspection area, but stand outside the door. If I remember correctly I had to sign something. It has been some years since I have done this so it may have changed?
 
I have and use a Pelican 1750 and I've never had any issues. I do have to take the case to TSA counter for them to do their inspection after the airline counter agent tags it. The case is unlocked by the TSA agents, inspect it, and then locked. All this is done while I watch them do all this.
 
I have and use a Pelican 1750 and I've never had any issues. I do have to take the case to TSA counter for them to do their inspection after the airline counter agent tags it. The case is unlocked by the TSA agents, inspect it, and then locked. All this is done while I watch them do all this.
Exactly my experience as well. Locked with NON TSA locks.
 

The Vault 800 is larger than the 1750. IMO the 1750 is sized for a Scoped rifle and a shotgun..

The im3300 I have is fractions of an inch larger than the 1750 and just large enough for two scoped rifles.

My im3300 was x-rayed (only) at ABQ, but TSA in Dallas/DFW (to Doha) required all of us to remove locks so they could do the explosives testing. No other inspections occurred. Same on re-entry.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.53.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.53.09 AM.png
    804.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.53.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.53.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.53.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.53.14 AM.png
    599 KB · Views: 211

Forum statistics

Threads
70,344
Messages
1,573,573
Members
169,761
Latest member
ConradMeji
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top