Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
for those of you that have flown Airlink do they charge you extra for your rifle case as a second bag (baggage)? I know there is a handling charge of 35.00 per rifle but do not know about the rifle case as baggage. We will not be flying first class. thanks Jim

They didn't charges us for any extra bags in July. We had a 50 lbs bag and a metal gun case that was 53 lbs, They only charged us 33.00 USD per firearm is all.

IIRC, they dinged us for the rifle charge and the ammo box as extra baggage.

strange their web site says the ammo box is no charge and was told by them a couple weeks ago the fee foe handling the rifle case is 35.00 per rifle. crazy since they are both in the same case.

They charged me in May for the rifle, flight from Jo‘burg to Cape Town.

strange their web site says the ammo box is no charge and was told by them a couple weeks ago the fee foe handling the rifle case is 35.00 per rifle. crazy since they are both in the same case.
Be aware that they will almost certainly make you take the ammo box out of your other luggage and ship it by itself. Be sure you have a case that will work for doing that.
Bruce

On my last trip to the Eastern Cape, I paid for the rifle and extra for the ammo box since it has to go separate from your check in bag. I don't believe there is any way to get away from this, their rules and policies. :unsure:

I removed my ammo box from my bag and wasn’t charged extra for the ammo. Rifle case was second piece of luggage and I paid the same rifle carriage fee. That was May 2022.

We flew Airlink JNB -> BUQ. They charge for baggage by weight. It works like this -

Fly USA to Joberg. Go thru security. Riflepermits.com helps tremendously. Stay at City Lodge Hotel. Short walk inside airport. Eat there. It’s easy.
In the AM, your riflepermits.com guides assist you to the Airlink check in. Ammo box comes out of checked bag. Replace its weight with good liquor that you bought from duty free on the way over. You need every lock on your ammo box locked. Bring extra bc they break.
The entire weight of the bags (3 rifle case, ammo box, duffle) is tabulated. You take this receipt to another desk and pay a nominal fee ~ 40 bucks. Then you take the guns and ammo to the police check, show them the papers from the day before, and check your bags.
Then security ect. And hit up duty free again bc wherever you are going has cheap drinks.

I flew recently with an empty gun case, no charge.

The other thing to be aware of is sometimes airlink can't accept a credit card...... Terminal or processor is down. Happened to me in Cape Town. Then you need to have rand. Would not take my $$ so I had to go exchange $$ for rand. Had to wait for the exchange places to open..... Started to wonder if I was going to miss my flight.
Then the bastards had the nerve to pull me out of my seat on the plane to ask why I hadn't paid the fees. Luckily I'd kept the receipt and had it to show them. Get reciepts and know where they are at.
Bruce

The other thing to be aware of is sometimes airlink can't accept a credit card...... Terminal or processor is down. Happened to me in Cape Town. Then you need to have rand. Would not take my $$ so I had to go exchange $$ for rand. Had to wait for the exchange places to open..... Started to wonder if I was going to miss my flight.
Then the bastards had the nerve to pull me out of my seat on the plane to ask why I hadn't paid the fees. Luckily I'd kept the receipt and had it to show them. Get reciepts and know where they are at.
Bruce
that could be an issue as our flight leaves at 6:00 am for Port Elizabeth, so we see about paying the fees before leaving or the night before

Bruce
Same thing happened to us in PZ on the way back. Credit card terminal wouldn't work. They must have exact money in rand cash . We had to go to western union . It takes about 17 minutes per person to get your money. Almost missed our plane . Made it by 12 minutes. We had a large group of 11 so I took everyone's money and did the exchange. It's an easy fix. Before you leave the USA or wherever have your bank get you a bunch of small Rand bills and some large. That way if card machines are down you can pay in Rand. But they also require it to be exact on the penny. I tried to over pay and call it a tip ----- that was a no go !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross