Airfare to Namibia

Wildcat

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, NRA, ITA
Wasn't sure where to ask this but, where have you guys found the best place to book your air to africa ? Going to Namibia next June Have been told to get my air booked now, so thought I would get on it .

I have been looking for quite a while now and have not really found a significantly better price amongst the carriers. I have found nothing for under $2000 yet.

Not trying to be negative or anything but I think airfare to most Southern African destinations up until June 11, 2010 will be sky-high. This is due to the World Cup Soccer Tourney going on in RSA from 6/11 - 7/11 next year. I am headed to Namibia later this year and found round-trip airfare for ~ $1,440 (Denver/Heathrow/Frankfurt/Windhoek). I think this is pretty reasonable although I had an additional leg added to the journey because I initially booked directly from Denver to London-Gatwick to Windhoek. Well, Air Namibia suspended their Gatwick service about three days after I'd finalized things but were very accommodating in re-scheduling things.

Anyway, you go and hunt when you can but I would be surprised if any deals come up for dates before or during the World Cup. I'll be going back to Namibia next year for Leopard but made it a point to book AFTER the tournament was over. Look at as many travel sites as you can. Look at some European travel sites as well. This is where I found my Gatwick-Windhoek flights ($760). LTU/Air Berlin flys direct from Germany to Windhoek and has some pretty reasonable airfare. You might see what they are offering.

For one thing, you are going during the high season ( June, July, August) tickets are always more expensive. The 2000.00 is reasonable, my ticket for this August is 2300.00 (S.D. to Joburg then to Windhoek) and I checked many travel agents. Sometimes the earlier you get your ticket the better. The consolidators still have specials, when they are gone the price goes up.

I don't use the computer sites for flights, I like to have a direct contact with a live agent incase a problems arises, and I have that. I am one of the unlucky ones to not draw a Leopard permit for 09. I was to hunt this August in SA and Namibia. This would of been my third trip and the only one I did not buy hunt insurance. Don't forget that.

Good luck on your trip, it will be a blast.

I am going to rsa in May of 2010 and I booked my flights with Annelise at 1-877-401-7557. I found her pricing much better than I could find on line and she came highly recommended from a few outfitters I talked to. I have a connection flight after Joburg and it was still well under $2,000.

I am a great believer in using a hunting savy travel agent for international travel. They will find you the best deal, will be up on the latest twists in transiting airports and can offer recommendations based on getting you, your weapons, and ammunition together at the destination at the same time. I have used Gracy Travel out of San Antonio, TX (800 299 8558) regularly and they are superb. Would also suggest you avoid transiting J'burg like the plague in order to get to Windhoek, Namibia. Best route, in my experience, US to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Windhoek on Air Namibia (big comfortable 4 engine Airbus). Frankfurt is still a fairly easy transit with firearms. If you go to SA, you will likely have to overnight in J'burg which means you have to enter and depart S. Africa with all the associated firearms customs hastles.

Travel Agencies

You will find in AH hunting directory some travel agencies who work with hunters, click here to get to that section of the directory.

Thanks everyone.
Ive already talked to gracy travel and they sounded like a great company to deal with. I just wanted to see who all you had been booking through.
SA is the problem for booking air in 2010. Thats one of the reasons I booked a hunt in Namibia and will fly via Germany.
The air quote I have from gracy was just under 2200.00 wich I didnt think was bad, the quote I got in march was 2480.00.
Thanks again

You have to compare apples with apples. When you are quoted a vey low price, it usually excludes airport taxes, fees etc. I am also in the process of booking a flight to Windhoek and was quoted $1,700 (including taxes, fees) from JFK - Johannesburg - Windhoek with SAA. These prices were quoted by Guinea Travel and Premier Tours.

If you are going to Namibia, couldn't agree more with those who suggest Gracy Travel and those who recommend going through Frankfurt rather than J'Burg.

I like doing my own shopping and making the minor decisions, so I've been booking flights, hotels and cars on-line and have had no problems. The last time I tried using a travel agent, she acted as if she knew more than I did and really didn't want my business.

My last trip to Namibia was two years ago, and (after comparing prices and different routes) I booked Delta roundtrip from Tucson to Johannesburg on Travelocity, then went to the South African Airways site and booked from JNB to Windhoek roundtrip. Buying separate tickets was about $250 cheaper that year.

Because of potential baggage transfer problems, I'm not certain I would have done it that way if I hadn't planned to spend some time in South Africa coming and going.

Bill Quimby

air to namibia

i also agree with the others who recommend travelling direct from frankfurt to windhoek rather than to jo-berg first.

I hunted in Namibia a couple of years ago and routed through Frankfurt and Jo-berg. I got there fine, but no rifle... and only one bag.. Got the rifle on the 3rd day. The extra clothing was 5 days late. We had an extra day in Windhoek to sightsee and went to So Africa air's office. We were able to get some money for the lost bags. The place was crowded with LOTS of people w/ no luggage. Seems that they don't do a very good job of keeping bags w/ people out of Jo-berg. I can't tell you how many stories that I have heard about "lost" luggage in Jo-berg. Do anything you can to not transfere out of that airport. In Namibia they hoped the situation would improve after the World Cup. With all the tourists they hoped they would update and improve the systems at the airport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross