AH Get Together Alaska 2017

The Big Boy of the day, a 4 bore rifle. The gun weights 22 pounds. I was told the bullet weights around 8 oz. No I did not shoot it.

026.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Velo Dog and myself. I learned a lot being immersed in doubles for a day!

030.JPG

A .577 Howdah pistol. I saw an old man shoot this pistol twice. I maintained my distance!!!

020.JPG

Forum member Larry 4831 giving it a go!

Larry 4831.jpg

An attendee shooting the 4 bore rifle.

025.JPG

An Italian O/U 450/400 owned by one of our members, (can't find the info just now). I fired the scoped rifle off of bamboo sticks and cut the 1 inch bulls eye at 50 yards. That is an amazing shot for me!

033.JPG
031.JPG

The second pic is my .404 J round (one the left) next to the 450/400. Almost identical!

Am missing a couple of photos. Will contact Velo Dog to see if I can locate them and post them later!

Cal, Paul, Don and myself at the 2017 shoot.

Cal, Paul, Don and Myself.jpg

My parting words for 2017 Double Rifle Shoot... I had planned on attending the shoot for about six months. Since I don't own a double, Cal allowed me to bring my RSM .404 J, my latest acquisition. He told me that he fully supports diversity and equal opportunity, but that single barrel rifles are like bell bottoms, just a passing fad! So myself and several others did have a good time with the .404. The only part of the shoot that was a little awkward IMO was that two attendees brought and were firing full auto MAC 10s. Even though I have fired many sub-guns and belt feds in my previous life, I am just a little jittery when full autos are going off close by. Maybe it's just my age and that full autos are like my .404, and are just a passing fad also!!! Already considering a trip there next year and maybe adding an extra day to try some fly fishing!!!!

019.JPG

Good morning to each and every one,

The double rifle shoot went very well, thanks to fellow member, Cal Pappas doing an excellent job of organizing the event (as usual).
Personally, I am very grateful that he puts this together each year.
Obviously Cal invests quite a bit of work and quite a bit of his personal time as well, into these gatherings.
I did not count heads but at a glance, it looked like 20 or more shooters were in attendance.
And, seeing rows of mostly English double rifles, as well as German makers, Belgian makers and at least one USA maker (Searcy) double rifles on the benches and in the rifle racks there, was heart warming.
I learn something new about double rifles, each time I am in attendance.
Other folks can spend their life's energy with playground equipment (baseballs and such), I like to spend mine on "rifles and shotguns and fly rods, oh my".

Anyway, I am a computer dunce and so, the photos I took will be posted by another member (sierraone) who, has volunteered to do that.
There is one photo of Cal, myself, 1dirthawker and sierraone, standing shoulder to shoulder, just behind the firing line (like four vultures on a bike path).
Another photo that I sent to sierraone is of our fellow member, larry4831, as he fires a Merkel .500 NE 3" that, belonged to a chap named Clarence.
Clarence traveled all the way up from North Carolina to shoot with us.
Not sure if he is a member in this forum or not but if not, I hope he joins in because he seemed like just the type who belongs here in AfricaHunting.com.
Also, I fired Clarence's .500 double, left and right but have to admit, I chose to do so with his somewhat reduced hand loads.
Evidently, Clarence had success in tweaking lighter bullets (possibly 525 gr ?) at a little below 2,000 fps yet, both barrels regulated well.

As for the "man cave party" right afterward at my place, I will guess that between 15 and 20 people showed up, as at one stage I counted 15 cars which, I was not familiar with.
Most were not members of this forum but, at the very least 4 of us attending the party are members.
The conversations stayed lively, mostly about you guessed it ... ballistics and hunting.
Our tap beer supply lasted clear through the entire party but, I suspect it will sputter and hiss it's warning of emptiness very soon.
For those reading this who came to the shoot and / or to the party, Thank You.
All of you are interesting souls, with whom I always enjoying conversing.

At any rate, stand by for sierraone to post photos from the rifle range.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.
Thank you Paul and Cal, I always have fun at these shoots. Howeve, I am a bit worried after I have this shoulder replacement that I will still be able to shoot. It is bothering me, even though the doctor says I will be able to. Thanks to everyone else for letting me fire your beautiful Rifles

My parting words for 2017 Double Rifle Shoot... I had planned on attending the shoot for about six months. Since I don't own a double, Cal allowed me to bring my RSM .404 J, my latest acquisition. He told me that he fully supports diversity and equal opportunity, but that single barrel rifles are like bell bottoms, just a passing fad! So myself and several others did have a good time with the .404. The only part of the shoot that was a little awkward IMO was that two attendees brought and were firing full auto MAC 10s. Even though I have fired many sub-guns and belt feds in my previous life, I am just a little jittery when full autos are going off close by. Maybe it's just my age and that full autos are like my .404, and are just a passing fad also!!! Already considering a trip there next year and maybe adding an extra day to try some fly fishing!!!!

View attachment 183895
Sounds like you guys had some fun. Wish I could have been there although I don't own a double either. I would have to show up with my 458 Lott to even get in the same ball park as those beautiful doubles that were on display. Maybe one day I will get a double but until then the 458 will have to do.

Sounds like you guys had some fun. Wish I could have been there although I don't own a double either. I would have to show up with my 458 Lott to even get in the same ball park as those beautiful doubles that were on display. Maybe one day I will get a double but until then the 458 will have to do.

Say Man,

Don't give it a 2nd thought.
I had just recently sold my last / only double rifle, (so that I could afford my pending Safari this year).
Plus, I had no cartridges loaded for my rifles above .375 caliber at the moment.
So, I showed up with no rifle at all.
And nobody handed me an eviction notice.

Hope to see you at the next one, if not before.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Say Man,

Don't give it a 2nd thought.
I had just recently sold my last / only double rifle, (so that I could afford my pending Safari this year).
Plus, I had no cartridges loaded for my rifles above .375 caliber at the moment.
So, I showed up with no rifle at all.
And nobody handed me an eviction notice.

Hope to see you at the next one, if not before.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Thanks Velo Dog, Hope to meet up with you sometime in the near future.

Cal, Paul, Don and myself at the 2017 shoot.

View attachment 183893

For anyone wanting to make a dart board out of any of us,
Screen names are L to R:

@cal pappas
@Velo Dog
@1dirthawker
@sierraone

I believe there were at least 2 or 3 members on the firing line that did not make it into this photo but not entirely sure.
Likewise, we all hope to see more members at the next shoot, as a grand time was had by all.
Not too many places where a person can examine 20 or 30 (at least) double rifles, mostly English makers, in one place.
This is not to mention there are fewer places yet where a person can sweet talk the owners into letting you fire pretty much most African calibers in double rifles, from and including the 4 bore black powder express and .600 Nitro, down to the 9.3 x74R or smaller and pretty much everything in between.

I even saw what I believe to be an original leather "motor case", containing a Westley Richards .318 (Best Grade?) Mauser, with all the related accessories.
The rifle had multiple folding rear sight leaves and iconic WR "backwards" front sight, with the flip over cover / twilight ivory bead, etc., etc., all in excellent condition.
Likewise, I enjoyed firing sierraone's custom built .404 Jeffery, based on the large RSM action and fancy grain Circassian walnut stock.
He had some factory (Nosler ? or Norma ? I think) ammunition with 400 gr solids that, I presume from the recoil were the modern loading of 2300 fps.
Even so, the recoil was not fierce and that rifle is so accurate that I would not hesitate to use it for so called plains game, despite the fact that it was designed for heavy / dangerous game to begin with.
Fact is, that rifle with softs and solids would be a very fine "one rifle safari" candidate for any combination DG / PG safari, including brain shot on croc or hippo.
Even with "only" iron sights it showed us that it is split-hair accurate.
There were other not double rifles there but I won't go on all day about them here.

My parting shot agrees with sierraone's on the full-auto racket.
I'm not saying those guys should be asked to leave that stuff at home, because I am most definitely nobody special.
I'm just saying that I prefer the boom of a hunting rifle over the staccato of a machinegun.

Cheers,
Velo dog.

For anyone wanting to make a dart board out of any of us,
Screen names are L to R:

@cal pappas
@Velo Dog
@1dirthawker
@sierraone

I believe there were at least 2 or 3 members on the firing line that did not make it into this photo but not entirely sure.
Likewise, we all hope to see more members at the next shoot, as a grand time was had by all.
Not too many places where a person can examine 20 or 30 (at least) double rifles, mostly English makers, in one place.
This is not to mention there are fewer places yet where a person can sweet talk the owners into letting you fire pretty much most African calibers in double rifles, from and including the 4 bore black powder express and .600 Nitro, down to the 9.3 x74R or smaller and pretty much everything in between.

I even saw what I believe to be an original leather "motor case", containing a Westley Richards .318 (Best Grade?) Mauser, with all the related accessories.
The rifle had multiple folding rear sight leaves and iconic WR "backwards" front sight, with the flip over cover / twilight ivory bead, etc., etc., all in excellent condition.
Likewise, I enjoyed firing sierraone's custom built .404 Jeffery, based on the large RSM action and fancy grain Circassian walnut stock.
He had some factory (Nosler ? or Norma ? I think) ammunition with 400 gr solids that, I presume from the recoil were the modern loading of 2300 fps.
Even so, the recoil was not fierce and that rifle is so accurate that I would not hesitate to use it for so called plains game, despite the fact that it was designed for heavy / dangerous game to begin with.
Fact is, that rifle with softs and solids would be a very fine "one rifle safari" candidate for any combination DG / PG safari, including brain shot on croc or hippo.
Even with "only" iron sights it showed us that it is split-hair accurate.
There were other not double rifles there but I won't go on all day about them here.

My parting shot agrees with sierraone's on the full-auto racket.
I'm not saying those guys should be asked to leave that stuff at home, because I am most definitely nobody special.
I'm just saying that I prefer the boom of a hunting rifle over the staccato of a machinegun.

Cheers,
Velo dog.
I agree with you Paul on the full auto stuff even though I brought one. The next time I'm going to leave it home. The only reason I brought it this time was because I haven't fired it for quite a while . But I myself would rather hear the big boom of a double then the full auto also. Nothing like the boom and the recoil from a big bore rifle. It is a lot of fun.

I agree with you Paul on the full auto stuff even though I brought one. The next time I'm going to leave it home. The only reason I brought it this time was because I haven't fired it for quite a while . But I myself would rather hear the big boom of a double then the full auto also. Nothing like the boom and the recoil from a big bore rifle. It is a lot of fun.

Not to worry Larry.
Once upon a time I owned a Stengun, a sack full of WW II British surplus magazines, carbide dies and a Dillon 550 progressive loading press for it.
So, I totally understand the full auto thing.
Even though I'm no longer interested in Class 3 Firearms, they do not offend me in the slightest.
I just prefer bolt action, double barrel and single shot hunting rifles as I get less hair and more wrinkles.
Also, I would not be surprised if most guys, even at double rifle shoots, do in fact find select fire and full-auto weapons interesting.

Last edited:
Not to worry Larry.
Once upon a time I owned a Stengun, a sack full of WW II British surplus magazines, carbide dies and a Dillon 550 progressive loading press for it.
So, I totally understand the full auto thing.
Even though I'm no longer interested in Class 3 Firearms, they do not offend me in the slightest.
I just prefer bolt action, double barrel and single shot hunting rifles as I get less hair and more wrinkles.
Also, I would not be surprised if most guys, even at double rifle shoots, do in fact find select fire and full-auto weapons interesting.
But when push comes to shove iI'm a big bore bolt man all the way, can't afford a double ......yet.

So far I've been on the slope for every one of Cal's shoots. Being the boss now, maybe I can manipulate the schedule for next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,