African Trophy Export real time follow along

Hopefully 4th time works

Of course the day we got to Nashville for convention, (after 2 canceled flight, moving to a different airline, and getting 4 delays) I received the Turkish Air tracking from Coppersmiths. It will arrive over on the coast in Seattle, the day before we get home.
Estimated 3 days to clear customs, so the day a snow storm rolls across the area, it will clear. Might need to wait a couple days till the mountain passes clear to make the drive, but my crate is almost in the states.
My “agent” from coppersmiths is working the booth at SCI, very nice and helpful.

Been unable to update, Turkish Air cancelled a fourth time in JBerg. ATE is trying and suggested switch to Delta. Went with that even though $45 more dollars. Figured less back and forth less chance of damage. 45 is nothing. Rescheduled for 3 March so will see how that goes. This of course is when I am going to be out of pocket till 10 March

Expecting to speak with Coppersmiths this morning, to get a customs clearance date, but……. Here’s from the Airlines:

I trust you are well.

We regret to advise that your consignments did not depart as scheduled due to the disaster in Turkey. The flights have however been rebooked as per below:

so into March now…….. the Saga continues

Reactions: USN
Well good news, crate is in ATL. Customs has released hold and waiting on ship to DFW on Delta. Still possible 1 maybe 2 weeks according to coppersmith. Wooo hoooo
I hope mine go Delta and clear that fast in ATL. I plan on grabbing them from cargo area as I work across the street from them.

This has nothing to do with trophies just shipping in Africa in general.
We are going solar at our lodge in Zimbabwe. We bought our solar batteries in Johannesburg early December. We received them on February 25. The reason it took that long was the normal customs and truck problems. Almost three months to go one thousand kilometers. I will not get into the cost.

Lon

Solar panels cost to ship aha to be crazy

My crate (a pedestal Sable, life sized red duiker and Euro impala and flat skin) arrive in Chicago on March 6th and my crate was cleared for shipment to my house today, 3/8. The total cost was $3418 from JNB to my house in Kearney, MO. I have used Trophy Shippers. I met with both Allan and John at DSC and SCI. Had a minor hiccup with a swift code being entered incorrectly but that was fixed quickly. So I have had no issues with Trophy Shippers.

Got email today mine are at SCS in JNB but my export paperwork expired so they need to submit for revalidation.

Had a single crate arrive this week. A Buff Euro pedestal; two Nyala Euros, a shoulder mount Sable and some flat skins done by Highveld.

Export agent was AHG as recommended by my outfitter. They sent by air from JoBurg via Tel Aviv to Miami. $2,700 for the dip and trip.

Crate arrived in good order to my home in Tampa a few days. Now I’ve got another invoice for $1,700 from a California based company called Hahn International who say they handled the import.

Until receiving this invoice I’ve never heard of or been in contact with this company. I never received a quote or anything.

Talked to my outfitter and he says this is excessive for what little I shipped back. He’s reached out to AHG.

Anyhow; potentially $4,400 for one crate.
Did you figure this out? Something seems off about this. In my limited experience, I had contracts signed with POA with everyone, and payments were made in advance.

If you didn’t contract with them, nothing was signed, a quote wasn’t provided, you already paid the import stuff, and you already have your stuff I wouldn’t send them a dime.

Here's a breakdown of what I recently paid from Namibia to Amarillo Texas for @gizmo to do the taxidermy work.

D&P + Crating - $850.70
Air Freight - $890
Customs/Import - $1475 (Safari Specialty Importers - Included some storage fees & CITES Permits)
Shipping NYC to Amarillo, TX - $365
Insurance for all transit - $199

Something still doesn’t add up, I’ve cleared 4 crates and I’ve never paid over $550 for a crate to clear, this includes crates with CITES, primates and swine that add a little to the final cost. Of course shipping costs have been through the roof but actually seem to be coming dow some.
When you clear your stuff, and with who?

Here's a breakdown of what I recently paid from Namibia to Amarillo Texas for @gizmo to do the taxidermy work.

D&P + Crating - $850.70
Air Freight - $890
Customs/Import - $1475 (Safari Specialty Importers - Included some storage fees & CITES Permits)
Shipping NYC to Amarillo, TX - $365
Insurance for all transit - $199

When you clear your stuff, and with who?
In 2014 I used D&L customs brokers and for the rest I’ve used Coppersmiths in Atlanta, that was 1 crate in 2019 1 crate in 2021 and 1 crate in 2022. I’ve been fortunate that I’ve not been hit with any storage or extra fees. I drive the 6 hours to Atlanta and pick them up at Coppersmiths warehouse. The 2021 crate was greatly affected by Covid with permits expiring being reissued expiring reissued again. It was supposed to be delivered in April of 2020 and was finally delivered to Atlanta in June of 2021. It landed in Atlanta on the same day I returned from Northwest province of South Africa from a roan hunt.

I just received an email that my crate has been received here on the west coast at Sea-Tac, and in control of coppersmiths. Should be able to run out to the coast next week and collect my crate. Just for information, everything (10 critters) was crated up, ready to go, paid off 11/20/2022.

Just a quick follow up, I have an appointment to drive out to Sea-Tac Thursday morning, to collect my crate. Unfortunately, Turkish Air added a wonderful surprise “storage fee” of $870. Not that there’s anything I can do about it. The good news is it’s arrived, all cleared, and ready to pick up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!