Africa is just not for me

Trogan mentioned cattle fences , I hunted a huge potato farm in the kalahari and it was fenced with a 3 strand barbed wire. I have a wonderful picture of a kudu bull jumping the fence as a gemsbok is about to slide under at the same time. They didn’t mind the fence nor did I.

Nothing is ever “the same.” The fortunate few who hunted Africa between the wars wouldn’t recognize the “wilderness safaris” we experience today. They safaried for months wandering freely over huge areas. They had licenses for multiples of the big 5. None of us will ever have that kind of hunt….it’s gone with the wind. What we can do is have the best safari experience our busy lives and bank accounts will allow. A 7-10 plains game hunt in SA or Namibia is a far cry from “old Africa” but so is a 21-day hunt in the Masai. We honor the traditions and try to duplicate those hunts as best we can. Feeling superior about the hunts we go on versus what others can do is silly. The old timers would have a laugh on all of us……or maybe they’d understand……

Trogan mentioned cattle fences , I hunted a huge potato farm in the kalahari and it was fenced with a 3 strand barbed wire. I have a wonderful picture of a kudu bull jumping the fence as a gemsbok is about to slide under at the same time. They didn’t mind the fence nor did I.
I watched a gemsbok run under a cattle fence in Namibia and he barely slowed down. Just laid his horns along his back and under he went. It was amazing. Got to see a kudu jump one too.

I watched a gemsbok run under a cattle fence in Namibia and he barely slowed down. Just laid his horns along his back and under he went. It was amazing. Got to see a kudu jump one too.
Similar experience, a black wildebeest hooked one of his horns under a solid 5mm steel fence wire and snapped it like a piece of two pound monofilament fishing line. From my observations, most fences in Africa are like the gun laws in the big cities, they're just window dressing.

Similar experience, a black wildebeest hooked one of his horns under a solid 5mm steel fence wire and snapped it like a piece of two pound monofilament fishing line. From my observations, most fences in Africa are like the gun laws in the big cities, they're just window dressing.
What I noticed about the cattle fences in Namibia was that they were all smooth wire. The only barbwire I saw was around the farm houses!

Also seen some razor wire to make sure the damn baboons stay out of the houses.
A roll of razor wire atop a tall fence helps keep all sorts of vermin away in the dark of the night.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd ever go to Africa, until my daughter asked for a kudu hunt as her high school graduation gift. Then I thought it would be a one and done deal. WRONG, we weren't even feet dry back in the states and I was already planning my next trip. That was in 2018 and here it is 2022 and I just got back from my 5th trip and guess what, I'm already planning the next trip. It means a lot of overtime work for me to pay for it, but man, is it worth it. Like I tell people, "YOU'RE IN AFRICA!!!!"

My buddy has a farm(Ranch) close to Clanwilliam (Northern Cape Border to Western Cape) we go to once a month. How big was the surprise when we rocked up at the ranch house to find that the baboons ripped open the thatch reed roof to brake into the house. Hate those critters..
Back when one could drive through the game park at Great Adventure in NJ, baboons would jump up on cars that had a vinyl roof, find a spot where they could get started and start peeling.

This is a blurry picture of the kudu jumping and the gemsbok about to go under a fence. Picture of a picture so quality not to sporty.

39E28D8B-A162-41E6-8C92-2C34B62B78C3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I have a vast collection of books on Africa in general, hunting, and guns for same. Was there in the late 90's and early 2000. Had experiences I don't think could be duplicatedView attachment 480658View attachment 480660, including having been guided by Glen Cottar. Don't think we will go back - getting a bit "long in the tooth" and flying today is a disaster.
Here's one more, just for fun! RSA 2001.
Image.jpg

I haven't ever talked to anyone who didn't love it. I had planned to go about six years ago, but things didn't work out due to financial issues. Hoping to get back to where I can go in the next couple of years, but I'm certainly not foregoing chances to hunt here in the states!

Back when one could drive through the game park at Great Adventure in NJ, baboons would jump up on cars that had a vinyl roof, find a spot where they could get started and start peeling.
LOL my parents drove us through on the 1st day it opened (as i grew up in nearby Bucks Co PA just across the River from NJ) with a brand new Olds Cutlass (white vinyl roof!) When my dad noticed the baboons were busy on a convertible mustang roof and another padded vinyl, he sped up to drive into the next gated enclosure! I tell that story all the time but never heard anyone else say it. We drove around the capitol of NJ (Trenton) late a night and people-watched, calling it The Great Adventure Safari! ;) Tigers and lions got loose in the surrounding Jackson and Howell, NJ at times in the past (i was the only one smiling, wanting to take guns to jobsites!)

Seeing Eland jump high fences is a sight to behold! They've jumped high fences in TX at times!

Seeing Eland jump high fences is a sight to behold! They've jumped high fences in TX at times!
I saw that and was amazed. I was hunting turkeys on the King ranch and and an eland from the neighbors ranch jumped a high fence and turned around and jumped back over. I guess it just wanted to see if it could or was bored but it made my day!

LOL the grass was greener on the other side! They know protein when they smell it. Or, it was practicing for the big getaway oneday...That is one of the finest meats on Earth (Moose is very good, too) but I think the Russians domesticated Eland to farm the meat! Hopefully the Ukrainians leave it alone.

This popped in my head the other day as I was mentally planning a future safari to follow up the first safari that hasn't even happened yet. I hear all the time, " you think this is a once in a lifetime trip, but you will go back." " nobody goes to Africa just once". Which all seems to correlate pretty accurately with everyone I have spoken with that has been to Africa, and not just on this forum, but people that I have met at random that have been. Everyone loves it, and everyone I have spoken with recalls it fondly and speaks of how great the trip was. Aside from the actual flight to get there. Ha ha

So, I have a question. Has anyone ever talked to someone who hunted Africa and came back and said, "nope, not for me" I went but I just did not enjoy it and I won't go back. If so was there any particular reason, other than if they just had a bad experience with a particular outfitter or PH which can happen and can sour your taste on the whole experience. Other than that though, has anyone ever met someone who went to Africa on a hunt and just said nope this is not for me, I just don't like it?
Some folks on here have focused their comments on the RSA, but there is a lifetime of other hunting destinations in Africa. If I had the funds and the time, I think I could find a unique hunt their every year for the rest of my life. I just took my wife to the RSA for her first hunting experience in her life. At 55 this was a life changing experience for her. She is now ready to go back for Klippies, Bushbuck and Vallies. We trained for 3 months one day every weekend for shooting. She made every shot without a problem.

I think many people have a misunderstanding about how it all works and what the experiences really are. Not even all hunts in the RSA are the same. The KZN has huge tracts of open country land for example. There are tons of different biomes there and styles of hunting. But I can see that it's not for everyone. The world would be a boring place if it was.

Why so much talk about people feeling Africa just not for me? To each his own.
Especially on a forum one might assume is for folks certainly interested in going to Sfrica. Some folks need to grow up and get a grip. This forum is getting too boring and even lane. Farewell to all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you