Affordable big bores no longer being offered by the big guys

I might be wrong, but I believe Savage makes a 110 in 375 and Mossberg makes a 375 R, Tikka makes 9.3x62's, Zastava makes 9.3's and I think 375's, Blaser makes all kinds, there's Mauser and Sako, and some others in Europe. Weatherby is still around, and I expect we will see some Remingtons again, once they get production going. There are some small makers here in the US as well. Not a lot of new stuff for us niche markets. How many 458 Lotte's are you going to sell each year, compared to 223's and Creedmores. I think they are focusing on higher volume runs in more profitable markets.
Bfly
He mentioned CRF. That would take out Remington, Weatherby Savage and Mossberg. Probably Tikka and Sako as well, and I think Mauser has now dropped their classic CRF action as of last year. If that's what you want, there really aren't a lot of options out there now.

This I found on Sako Suomi page, this was the biggest. I don't know what price are.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.06.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.06.31 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.06.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.06.34 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
The Sako 100 will be available in .375 HH - at least here in Europe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.24.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.24.32 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.24.33 AM.png
    911.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.24.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.24.35 AM.png
    667.6 KB · Views: 54
Business is business, and the heyday of there being enough buyers of new rifles to support every supplier are probably gone. Also with the internet it is far easier to reach potential second hand buyers, so the rate of turnover of existing goods is far higher these days. What is likely to happen, not only with guns, but with cars and other goods as well is that the number of manufacturers will be trimmed down, it is precisely what you are describing is happening now. And because the replenishment volumes are down it means that the prices will need to go up to sustain the survivors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.08 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.08 AM Large.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.10 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.10 AM Large.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 47

Send him mail about others he may have in dtore.

But i also wonder why and how this has gone on, may there be some influencing makers to stop producing cheap big bores as one way to limit traveling adventurers and sports persons ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.51 AM.png
    975.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.25.54 AM.png
    639.9 KB · Views: 58
He mentioned CRF. That would take out Remington, Weatherby Savage and Mossberg. Probably Tikka and Sako as well, and I think Mauser has now dropped their classic CRF action as of last year. If that's what you want, there really aren't a lot of options out there now.
Surely Mauser isn’t discontinuing the M98?

Also a big bore is .458+ in caliber. The 40s are large medium bores

Sako 100 might not quite fit in the $3,000 ballpark. $4,000 maybe.

Sako 85 is discontinued. New stock might be hard to find.
Yeah what few 85s I'm seeing are in 338WM and below.

I really wish they offered the Kodiak Model in 416, I'm liking that stainless look.

I’m not sure about Winchester and ruger, but I do not think any of these rifle companies are going to open anymore doors when it comes to larger caliber CRF rifles. Cz needs to focus on Colt now so I don’t think we will see anything from them again. This market it’s so small and it takes twice as much labor to produce a wood stocked CRF than composite stock push feed. I’m in the quoting stages right now with a company who produces high end push feed actions for long range shooting style rifles. The high quantities they want to produce is mind boggling. Just goes to show what sells.

@Northern Shooter - $3K is a reasonable budget for a CRF dangerous game capable rifle...that's what I thought about 7 years ago when I bought a CZ550 375H&H. That opened a whole can of worms because the rifle was good, but rough. The trigger was creepy, bolt wan't smooth and feeding wasn't perfect. It took several months at AHR, along with several thousand more dollars to have all these problems worked out. Total cost to get this rifle safari ready was over $5K.

Most of the CZ550's out there have had some type of work done to them by a gunsmith. The level of quality of that work can vary quite a bit, with AHR being one of the most respected. Finding one of these on the used market can run $4-6K and up depending on the timber.

If you are looking to hunt DG with a 375H&H or larger, pinching pennies at the start will only result in you spending more in the end. If I had started with a semi-custom rifle maker like Dakota it would have been less expensive and I would have had a nicer looking rifle.

I sold the CZ550 to @Scott CWO who is using it as a client rifle for brown bear hunting in Alaska. My wife and I now have Blaser R8 rifles that are capable of shooting 22lr all the way to 505GIBBS, all on the same platform. Was it inexpensive, no...but finding a top notch quality product rarely is.

If you stay on Africa Hunting long enough, you will learn the meaning of "buy once, cry once".

Last edited:
@Northern Shooter - $3K is a reasonable budget for a CRF dangerous game capable rifle...that's what I thought about 7 years ago when I bought a CZ550 375H&H. That opened a whole can of worms because the rifle was good, but rough. The trigger was creepy, bolt wan't smooth and feeding wasn't perfect. It took several months at AHR, along with several thousand more dollars to have all these problems worked out. Total cost to get this rifle safari ready was over $5K.

Most of the CZ550's out there have had some type of work done to them by a gunsmith. The level of quality of that work can vary quite a bit, with AHR being one of the most respected. Finding one of these on the used market can run $4-6K and up depending on the timber.

If you are looking to hunt DG with a 375H&H or larger, pinching pennies at the start will only result in you spending more in the end. If I had started with a semi-custom rifle maker like Dakota it would have been less expensive and I would have had a nicer looking rifle.

I sold the CZ550 to @Scott CWO who is using it as a client rifle for brown bear hunting in Alaska. My wife and I now have Blaser R8 rifles that are capable of shooting 22lr all the way to 505GIBBS, all on the same platform. Was it inexpensive, no...but finding a top notch quality product rarely is.

If you stay on Africa Hunting long enough, you will learn the meaning of "buy once, cry once".
I picked up my 550 last fall ($2,100). I believe it was the last new in box 550 in the country and likely one of the last produced by CZ.

I had read about some owners experiencing fit and finish issues with their 550s but that has not been the case with mine. The action came as smooth as butter and I personally enjoy the trigger feel.

I generally subscribe to the buy once cry once motto and thought I was doing so with this 550 purchase as it was my most expensive purchase
, second only to my Bren 2.
Now I realize that a 550 is just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to DG rifles.
I like to progressively spend more on each firearm but don't tend to jump 2-3 fold in price from one to the other. It's easier on my wallet and easier to explain to the wife haha.
My 2023 goal is to obtain a CRF 416 rifle for an "affordable" price. That means the likes of Dakota, Heym. Blaser etc are unfortunately above budget.
My 2024 goal is to buy a German double, likely in .470. This will be a substantial purchase for me at $10,000+. I've already started to save.

As It stands, the Sako 85 is my preferred choice whether or not I can find one. If not I'll be looking at a new Model 70 in 416 RM or a Guide Gun/African in .416 Ruger.

All of those should fit under my budget for now.

Cheers,

I feel a guy needs to become comfortable with about the 5k range for a rifle that is good quality and ready to go. What Mr Peacocke says in the above post is 100% true. The firearms industry is going to through a change, and safari "type" gear is going to be pointed at people that have more money to spend, stuff will be harder to get , and even the used market prices will and have gone up substantially. There are little pockets of deals you can find, especially on 375's, probably because there are a lot more of them than any other caliber....I've grabbed 2 Griffin Howe 50's and 60's era 375's off the used market in the last 6 months in the 5k range. To have one built to their old school standards would cost 10-15k, they are nicer and more "classic" in every way than any "factory" production rifle, even if they show a little wear. Dakota is still a great deal out there as far as finished rifles ready to go IMO, but I would only buy one that says Dakota on it, even though the same folks are building them for the now Remington owned Park West, The fact that Remington owns them isn't helping their sales LOL. A current M70 in 375,416,458, will surely get the job done but they'll be a little raw. Just my 2 Cents

I feel a guy needs to become comfortable with about the 5k range for a rifle that is good quality and ready to go. What Mr Peacocke says in the above post is 100% true. The firearms industry is going to through a change, and safari "type" gear is going to be pointed at people that have more money to spend, stuff will be harder to get , and even the used market prices will and have gone up substantially. There are little pockets of deals you can find, especially on 375's, probably because there are a lot more of them than any other caliber....I've grabbed 2 Griffin Howe 50's and 60's era 375's off the used market in the last 6 months in the 5k range. To have one built to their old school standards would cost 10-15k, they are nicer and more "classic" in every way than any "factory" production rifle, even if they show a little wear. Dakota is still a great deal out there as far as finished rifles ready to go IMO, but I would only buy one that says Dakota on it, even though the same folks are building them for the now Remington owned Park West, The fact that Remington owns them isn't helping their sales LOL. A current M70 in 375,416,458, will surely get the job done but they'll be a little raw. Just my 2 Cents
Remington owns Park West?!?! I thought Park West was the outfit that acquired Dakota from Remington in the bankruptcy proceedings????

I know the Remington era Dakotas are the least desirable…

I think the main factor hurting Park West’s sales is the price point. In the same ballpark as Rigby, Mauser, Heym and Blaser… Let alone any number of American custom gunmakers building rifles on GMA actions that could likely accommodate you at a similar price point and be equal to or superior to PW’s quality. It doesn’t help that JD Outfitters is selling them (only ones I believe I’ve seen?) at what is likely a considerable markup.

Last edited:
I was just going to point out that Heym still makes affordable doubles and then mention how Rigby's new "Shikari" boxlock double was a nice entry level double (for Rigby). Then, I realized in this thread "affordable" meant one less zero than what I was thinking. :ROFLMAO:

I couldn't tell you the exact chain of events but Remington grabbed them when Dakota was in dire straights, then Remington had finance issues, and it went up fro grabs again and that is where is where it is now I believe. Don't know if it is investor group or an offshoot of Vista Outdoors.....

I've posted this elsewhere, but here it is again...

Quick history lesson for those that don't know. Dakota Arms started in 1980. It was sold to investors in the early 2000's and went bankrupt in 2006. They came out of bankruptcy in 2007 but were sold to Remington Arms shortly after. Remington went bankrupt in 2020 and its pieces sold off to various companies. The name "Dakota Arms" belongs to one of the buyers at the auction, but the equipment and people employed at the Sturgis, SD custom rifle shop were sold to another group of investors...their new name is Parkwest Arms.

It is my understanding that firearms made by Dakota prior to 2004 (or thereabouts) are indeed of very high quality, and I'd expect them to hold their value. From the Remington ownership until just recently, there have been examples (some say several) of less than perfect rifles. For that reason, resale of these rifles could be an issue. As to the level of quality Parkwest Arms is producing, I have no experience.

I've posted this elsewhere, but here it is again...

Quick history lesson for those that don't know. Dakota Arms started in 1980. It was sold to investors in the early 2000's and went bankrupt in 2006. They came out of bankruptcy in 2007 but were sold to Remington Arms shortly after. Remington went bankrupt in 2020 and its pieces sold off to various companies. The name "Dakota Arms" belongs to one of the buyers at the auction, but the equipment and people employed at the Sturgis, SD custom rifle shop were sold to another group of investors...their new name is Parkwest Arms.

It is my understanding that firearms made by Dakota prior to 2004 (or thereabouts) are indeed of very high quality, and I'd expect them to hold their value. From the Remington ownership until just recently, there have been examples (some say several) of less than perfect rifles. For that reason, resale of these rifles could be an issue. As to the level of quality Parkwest Arms is producing, I have no experience.
I don’t know how accurate the following information is but here it is:
2E3534EF-16BB-4C8B-9594-CD490DCC5052.png

I was just going to point out that Heym still makes affordable doubles and then mention how Rigby's new "Shikari" boxlock double was a nice entry level double (for Rigby). Then, I realized in this thread "affordable" meant one less zero than what I was thinking. :ROFLMAO:
One man's "affordable" amounts to another man's Mortgage haha. From everything I've heard the Heym doubles present an excellent value for quality vs price, especially compared to the bespoke British makers.

Unfortunately a $20,000-30,000 "affordable" Heym is still out of my reach.

But what would affordable truly mean for a brand new produced mauser actioned bolt-action or a double rifle, both in .375 caliber's or up? No frills or anything.

I think the Heym martini and 89b will be very close to that description, of affordable dangerous game rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,