Advice sought (.358); I think I know the answer...

Once you go to a 35 caliber, others just don't measure up anymore.
@MS 9x56
Once you use a fast 25 anything else 270 and under just don't matter either.
A fast 25 a good 7mm like the 280AI and a Whelen and your set for 99 percent of your hunting. You could even get by without the 7mm but a bit of variation is nice.
A 25 cal 80gn Barnes TTSX @ 3,800fps shoots flatter than a shit carters hat for a long ways out or load it with a 120gn A Frame and go hunt bigger shit
Bob

You really should have been a psychologist, mate. Lol. :LOL:
@Scott CWO
Yeah, Nah a mad bastard like me giving psychological advice would be like putting a dingo in charge of a kids playground. Not a smart move.
Bob

Ruger calls that finish, "Target Grey." I have several Target Grey Mark II's, it is a great finish... I say again, grab that rifle, you will not be disappointed.
Who on here has ever seen a grey target? Other than an Eland that is. Honestly where do they come up with this crap?

Yes but not for $400. it was such a well balanced rifle. I think 20-22” barrel? Not as long as my 35 Whelen.

Thanks
@rwp315
Hopefully you haven't had a brain snap and sold your Whelen. At least with the Whelen you can load it down to 357 hand gun velocity or stoke it up to a tower of power with up to 4,300fpe if bone crushing power.
Bob

Buy it or you'll be sorry! The .358 is a fine round that will take care of anything in N. America, Europe, and plains game of Africa. As has been well stated, no need for expensive boutique bullets as the cup and core gets the job done. I use my own cast bullets in 7.62 cases and have never been disappointed. As much as I admire the 7x57, the .358 isn't very far behind.

I sat down at the loading bench last night and put together 300 rounds of .358 Win with 50.0 grains of W748 and 200 grain Hornady SP's at 2.725"... this is a proven load with dozens of heads of game under its "belt." It is my general use load in the .358... I do have a stouter load and bullet for big bears, but for the most part, this is not required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanaIvy5

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.