Advice needed: what R8 caliber for hippo

Boa tarde gente!
Aproveitando a pergunta, pretendo caçar hipopótamos em 2022, tenho um Ruger M77 416 Rigby e a munição que tenho é Federal Safari Premium, com balas Bear Claw 400 grãos e Woodleigh 410 grãos sólidos, que devo usar no primeiro tomada? Eu pretendo caçar em terra
Google translate: ;)

Good afternoon folks!
Taking advantage of the question, I intend to hunt hippos in 2022, I have a Ruger M77 416 Rigby and the ammunition I have is Federal Safari Premium, with Bear Claw bullets 400 grains and Woodleigh 410 solid grains, which should I use in the first take? I intend to hunt on land

I'd recommend 410 grain solids for hunting on land. (Recomendo 410 grãos sólidos para caçar em terra.)

R8 wins again. :cool: Congratulations on your Elephant!

On another note - This is the exact rifle carry method I use so that the muzzle can be controlled at all times with your left hand (for a RH shooter). Also very quick to unsling the rifle and shoot with a little practice.
That is a classic European carry. My only problem with it is that it can be a little slow in mounting the rifle. I carry muzzle down on the left side. Rifle is easily controllable, and comes up with a flip of the hand.

As others have noted, a 9.3 would not be my first choice for sorting out a hippo in the tall grass next to a river.

Great bull!

calculations and equations and theoretical this and that....the 9.3 is going to boot her pretty solidly in that configuration regardless especially at 115lbs. Awesome that she wants to hunt with her guys, but gotta be careful she doesnt get rocked and then pick up major bad habits/flinch etc or get hurt...really! Had the same thing happen to a good friend of mines daughter who insisted on shooting her brothers lwt mountain rifle. Took a while to get rid of the flinch she developed on top of the neck and shoulder issue she got from it. No scope bite but it ROCKED her and it was brutal to see especially when watched back on video where you could see the shock go thru her body. That was a 300 wsm but rifle weighed like 5.9 lbs or right there some where close. She was and is an experienced shooter who has taken her share of deer and a nice black bear so not a rookie but she too was a lightweight in that 115lb range. No way to get around it when that little frame is going to shoot a boomer caliber in a light rifle. Best thing you could do is get a heavy rifle and have her shoot it off of sticks.

If guys are claiming that 270 win and calibers of the type will do the damage for a brain shot and you guys are backing her anyway, then maybe thats the route to go. Hate to spoil a great time with recoil shock or worse yet...recoil shock and an injury!

Be sure that the caliber that you are using at least meets the minimum legal requirements in the country that you are hunting in. I know some PHs will allow the use of calibers below the minimum legal requirements, but do you want your daughter to start her hunting by breaking the law. There is good reason for minimum caliber.

The 9.3 x 62 is a great caliber for Africa. If it were me I would simply attach a after market recoil pad made to fit the R8. Mine is a standard limb saver which doesn’t increases the rifles length of pull. Once you have installed it you won’t be taking it off. Regards fitting a 19 mm barrel, I opened my Blaser up with a piece of dowel and emery paper. The gap in the channel is only 1mm either side. You will never notice it.

calculations and equations and theoretical this and that....the 9.3 is going to boot her pretty solidly in that configuration regardless especially at 115lbs...

I know it is a blasphemy but this might be one case where to have a muzzle break on the rifle might make sense. Not to mention a mercury recoil reducer on the stock.

If you are going to use a break you might as well thread and cap your 375 and save buying a new barrel. KDF make a break that works really well and will only add 2” to the length. I’d go with the recoil pad and mercury reducer in the stock first. At 11.5 lbs you shouldn’t have a problem. Last resource go the break.
Ken

The 9.3x62 barrel arrived! As is typical, a new toy arrives then life gets in the way of using it! My daughter’s stock has been shortened to fit her, a 1” pad was added by Blaser as well as a recoil reducer. I’ve shot only a few rounds out of the 9.3x62 on her stock and the recoil is noticeably less than the .375. I’m hoping to avoid the need for a brake.

If you are going to use a break you might as well thread and cap your 375 and save buying a new barrel. KDF make a break that works really well and will only add 2” to the length. I’d go with the recoil pad and mercury reducer in the stock first. At 11.5 lbs you shouldn’t have a problem. Last resource go the break.
Ken
Break is when you drop your brandy glass on the tiled floor......

'Anyone ever break a muzzle brake? A broken brake would suck, but that's the breaks in the Mozambique or Moyowosi cane brakes. Without further adieu, I now must rifle through invoices and muzzle myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you