Advice needed: what R8 caliber for hippo

9.3x62 not quite as much recoil and mine will shoot sub Mia at 200 yds with Norma factory ammo and hand loads.
For brain shots a confidant shooter not worried about recoil is the ticket.

Ps also have 375 H&H, 30-06 barrels for it.
A R8 Safari in 458 Lott 300Win combo R8.
Plus a really light 300WSM & 375 H&H R93 combo

On land biggest bore you are accurate with, for me that would be .500NE
In water any mid bore+ that is accurate for very precise shots.
So, if my 115 lb daughter can manage the 9.3x62, would you see that as sufficient for hippo on land? (Note: I don’t *really* need an excuse to buy another barrel for the R8) I’m hoping to find someone who has used this caliber to good effect on hippo. @Tanks I see you use a 9.3x74, which is close to the same, would you hunt a hippo with it?

9.3x62 not quite as much recoil and mine will shoot sub Mia at 200 yds with Norma factory ammo and hand loads.
For brain shots a confidant shooter not worried about recoil is the ticket.
Sufficient for hippo? Have you used yours on a hippo or other large game?

I suppose another idea is to just get the barrel and have her practice with the 9.3x62 as it is less recoil than the .375, but then bring the .375 and have her use that. At some point there is a cutoff where a person who wants to hunt a big animal needs to commit to becoming proficient with more recoil. I want to get her there by working up to it.

I suspect many of us had the experience of being handed a .30-06 at around age 10 and discovered the definition of recoil. In my youth we went from .22LR to a .270 or a .30-06, that was an eye opener. There were very few .243’s around, most dads just had their elk rifle and that is what you used. (Another note: no one I knew had 6,12, or 20+ rifles in their safe to choose from, that seems to be more common today)

post script: this is exactly why the 6.5CM is so popular, it is a great caliber for kids and fun to shoot for adults, like a .22LR but more noise. But if it got named the 6.5 Kid Gun, it wouldn’t be popular.

So, if my 115 lb daughter can manage the 9.3x62, would you see that as sufficient for hippo on land? (Note: I don’t *really* need an excuse to buy another barrel for the R8) I’m hoping to find someone who has used this caliber to good effect on hippo. @Tanks I see you use a 9.3x74, which is close to the same, would you hunt a hippo with it?

Sufficient for hippo? Have you used yours on a hippo or other large game?

I suppose another idea is to just get the barrel and have her practice with the 9.3x62 as it is less recoil than the .375, but then bring the .375 and have her use that. At some point there is a cutoff where a person who wants to hunt a big animal needs to commit to becoming proficient with more recoil. I want to get her there by working up to it.

I suspect many of us had the experience of being handed a .30-06 at around age 10 and discovered the definition of recoil. In my youth we went from .22LR to a .270 or a .30-06, that was an eye opener. There were very few .243’s around, most dads just had their elk rifle and that is what you used. (Another note: no one I knew had 6,12, or 20+ rifles in their safe to choose from, that seems to be more common today)

post script: this is exactly why the 6.5CM is so popular, it is a great caliber for kids and fun to shoot for adults, like a .22LR but more noise. But if it got named the 6.5 Kid Gun, it wouldn’t be popular.
Yes for sure

No, I would not. Not for land. Think buffalo or elephant as equivalent for hippo. Now, for me hippo on land means shots at 20-30 yards max., offhand, with the possibility of charges if things go South. If you are going to get on sticks at 50+ yards and take a leisurely brain shot from a distance then sure the 9.3 will do the job, it is the equivalent conditions of shooting in water.

I will hunt hippo on land for bait when I go for a lion. I will be taking my .500 NE for it.

Fellow members I am in need of advice on what additional caliber for an R8 I should get for hippo, etc. I’ve posted the R8 caliber chart below. I already have a .375h&h barrel. I would prefer to stay in the standard contour barrel profile for another barrel as my R8 is not opened up for the thicker barrels. I understand I cannot take two rifles in the same caliber to Africa.

It looks like I’ll be returning to hunt again in 2022. My daughter would like to hunt a hippo. I prefer to carry a rifle when we are in the bush, so I need another barrel that will go on her R8 (or mine). It is likely that I will travel with the rifle case, so I’m limited to two rifles: 375H&H and ???. (She will already be in africa before I get there.)

I have no experience with the 9.3x62. I do not reload. Will that work? I see there is a blaser .375 mag… sounds like an impossible to get ammo caliber. Should I just stick with a .375 and a PG caliber and not worry about carrying a similar caliber as the PH will have a .500NE?

She is a small person, maybe 115 lbs, but tough and rides and jumps horses as her hobby. After seeing video of @BeeMaa shooting an R8 with a .416, that looked like a bit much of a horse for this guy.

I’ll will be inquiring of my PH for his advice as well.
I know some of you have gone through this though process of what barrel combos for an R8 for yourself and/or for an aspiring youth, so I’d appreciate suggestions. @One Day... @Philip Glass @375Fox @Ridgewalker

View attachment 420202
Hello Tra3;

Sorry for a delayed answer, I just came back yesterday night from my elephant hunt on communal land on the Gwayi River, in the Hwange corridor, in Zimbabwe.

Elephant, Gwayi River, Zimbabwe, August 2021.jpg

I have not read the entire thread yet, so I apologize if I repeat what may have already been said, but there are essentially two types of hippo hunts:

1- Hippo in the water: this typically involves one brain shot at typically short range around 50 yards. Precision, precision, precision... are the 3 key operating words, and the brain is not protected by a very thick bone structure. Any medium size PG caliber and good quality bullet on the heavy side will work; ideally a solid, but I reckon a TSX or AFrame does the job too. I would look into .270 Win and up.

2- Hippo on land: this generally involves several body shots at short and sometimes very shot distance, with a significant possibility of a charge (it is said that hippo kill more people every year than all the Big 5 combined...). Stopping power are the two operating words, and the hippo is notoriously a bullet sponge. The .458 Lott and up are likely good medicine, but the .375 H&H and 9.3x62 with TSX or A Frame will do the killing job too, although they are objectively weak for the stopping job.

It seems that the water hunt is likely best suited for your daughter, so if she already has a PG barrel of at least .25 caliber (preferably at least .27 caliber), you do not need to buy another barrel, but I would suggest buying some ammo for plenty of practice from the sticks at 100 yards. She needs to be able to keep her shots in a 2" to 3" bullseye standing from the sticks at that distance :)

Last edited:
I carried it for 7 days in very dense jesse, and ended it up grabbing the scoped .375 for a 58 meters shot across a clearing... :)

1630791352707.png

Last edited:
Hello Tra3;

Sorry for a delayed answer, I just came back yesterday night from my elephant hunt on communal land on the Gwayi River, in the Hwange corridor, in Zimbabwe.

View attachment 422156

I have not read the entire thread yet, so I apologize if I repeat what may have already been said, but there are essentially two types of hippo hunts:

1- Hippo in the water: this typically involves one brain shot at typically short range around 50 yards. Precision, precision, precision... are the 3 key operating words, and the brain is not protected by a very thick bone structure. Any medium size PG caliber and good quality bullet on the heavy side will work; ideally a solid, but I reckon a TSX or AFrame does the job too. I would look into .270 Win and up.

2- Hippo on land: this generally involves several body shots at short and sometimes very shot distance, with a significant possibility of a charge (it is said that hippo kill more people every year than all the Big 5 combined...). Stopping power are the two operating words, and the hippo is notoriously a bullet sponge. The .458 Lott and up are likely good medicine, but the .375 H&H and 9.3x62 with TSX or A Frame will do the killing job too, although they are objectively weak for the stopping job.

It seems that the water hunt is likely best suited for your daughter, so if she already has a PG barrel of at least .25 caliber (preferably at least .27 caliber), you do not need to buy another barrel, but I would suggest buying some ammo for plenty of practice from the sticks at 100 yards. She needs to be able to keep her shots in a 2" to 3" bullseye standing from the sticks at that distance :)
Nice Elephant and wow, I didn't realise a Hippo could be taken close 'ish with PH calibres. Eg .270 or Bob's .25 even.
They are a cool looking animal.

Didn't use your .470? o_O
I carried it for 7 days in very dense jesse, and ended it up grabbing the scoped .375 for a 58 meters shot across a clearing... :)

View attachment 422191
R8 wins again. :cool: Congratulations on your Elephant!

On another note - This is the exact rifle carry method I use so that the muzzle can be controlled at all times with your left hand (for a RH shooter). Also very quick to unsling the rifle and shoot with a little practice.

Hello Tra3;

View attachment 422156

Nice elephant indeed! I hope a hunting report is forthcoming. I also used an R8 in .375 for ele this summer and for a hippo (I need to put together a report!)
We will be working on recoil management for my daughter. I have never shot a 9.3x62. I got the green light from my PH for her to use it. He will be backing her up with a .500

The goal would be a head shot on land, which worked for me this summer.

On a side note: It is amazing how much protein these animals provide for the community. I enjoy sharing NA game meat with friends and family, and elk goes a long way, but nothing like these guys.

4A7270C3-6C33-4704-801A-9D3A5C666A9B.jpeg
281BCB81-5D63-4338-BF6E-1E44AAEE2D0C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your bull and hippo Tra3. Very nice :) !

Regarding the 9.3x62 question in a R8, I can answer very specifically because I bought a R8 pro (alloy receiver) for my wife recently --- another report that is late in coming :E Lol:

Mouflon June 2021.JPG

Mrs. One Day with the first animal (Mouflon) taken with her Blaser R8.

I had Blaser shorten the stock by 1.5" and I put a standard .270 Win barrel on it with Zeiss V4 4-16x44 BT scope for PG, and a standard 9.6x62 barrel with Blaser RD20 red dot for DG. I call it the "Baby Blaser" :E Rofl:

Full size Blaser & shortened Blaser.jpg

R8 Pro Blaser with stock shortened 1.5" by Blaser, with 22.8" standard length & standard contour .270 Win and 9.3x62 barrels, under a standard R8 PH Blaser with 25.6" semi-weight .375 H&H barrel.

The actual recoil experience reflects accurately the theoretical calculations.

The .270 Win R8 pro (alloy receiver) with Zeiss V4 4-16x44, without kickstop, weighs 9.2 lbs. and generates 14.6 ft./lbs. of recoil energy at 10.1 fps when shooting a 130 gr TTSX at 3,060 fps.

The 9.3x62 R8 pro (alloy receiver) with Blaser RD20 red dot weighs 8.6 lbs. WITH a "16 oz." kickstop (mine actually weighs 17.5 oz.) and generates 32.9 ft./lbs. of recoil energy at 15.7 fps when shooting a 286 gr TSX at 2,350 fps.

Both mathematics and actual shooting experience are very clear, in these configurations the 9.3x62 recoils 2.25 more than the .270 Win...

With a Past recoil shield, my wife shoots the 9.3x62 fine standing from the sticks, but this about as much recoil as she can handle.

PS: It is worth noting that the 9.3x62 in her 8.6 lbs. R8 Pro (alloy receiver) actually recoils more than the .375 H&H does in my 11.5 lbs. semi-weight barreled R8 PH (steel receiver) with Leica 1-6.3x24 scope (31.7 ft./lbs.). Weight simply soaks up recoil...

Last edited:
Congratulations on your bull and hippo Tra3. Very nice :) !

Regarding the 9.3x62 question in a R8, I can answer very specifically because I bought a R8 pro (alloy receiver) for my wife recently --- another report that is late in coming :E Lol:

View attachment 422296
Mrs. One Day with the first animal (Mouflon) taken with her Blaser R8.

I had Blaser shorten the stock by 1.5" and I put a standard .270 Win barrel on it with Zeiss V4 4-16x44 BT scope for PG, and a standard 9.6x62 barrel with Blaser RD20 red dot for DG. I call it the "Baby Blaser" :E Rofl:

View attachment 422293
R8 Pro Blaser with stock shortened 1.5" by Blaser, with 22.8" standard length & standard contour .270 Win and 9.3x62 barrels, under a standard R8 PH Blaser with 25.6" semi-weight .375 H&H barrel.

The actual recoil experience reflects accurately the theoretical calculations.

The .270 Win R8 pro (alloy receiver) with Zeiss V4 4-16x44, without kickstop, weighs 9.2 lbs. and generates 14.6 ft./lbs. of recoil energy at 10.1 fps when shooting a 130 gr TTSX at 3,060 fps.

The 9.3x62 R8 pro (alloy receiver) with Blaser RD20 red dot weighs 8.6 lbs. WITH a "16 oz." kickstop (mine actually weighs 17.5 oz.) and generates 32.9 ft./lbs. of recoil energy at 15.7 fps when shooting a 286 gr TSX at 2,350 fps.

Both mathematics and actual shooting experience are very clear, in these configurations the 9.3x62 recoils 2.25 more than the .270 Win...

With a Past recoil shield, my wife shoots the 9.3x62 fine standing from the sticks, but this about as much recoil as she can handle.

PS: It is worth noting that the 9.3x62 in her 8.6 lbs. R8 Pro (alloy receiver) actually recoils more than the .375 H&H does in my 11.5 lbs. semi-weight barreled R8 PH (steel receiver) with Leica 1-6.3x24 scope (31.7 ft./lbs.). Weight simply soaks up recoil...
I’m doing a similar program, shortening the stock and adding a kick stop and thicker recoil pad. Because of the reduced length, I was told I can only put a 12 Oz kick stop in the rifle.

I now wonder if I should look at a heavier barrel profile?

I haven’t decided on a scope for the 9.3x62 barrel, I’m inclined to go with a variable power scope, something in 1-6 or 1-8x so she can use it for PG as well.
Nice mouflon! There is significant value in making sure that the people you want to hunt with you are properly equipped!

I too was told that the "16 oz." kickstop would not fit, but it actually does fit with room to spare after a 1.5" stock reduction. All you need to do is slightly ovalize upward the round hole in the buttstock end-plate under the recoil pad so that the longer kickstop lines up with the bolt on which it screws :)

I can confirm that a variable scope would bring the weight of the 9.3x62 configuration (with 16 oz. kickstop) to the same weight as the .270 Win configuration. I looked into the Zeiss V4 1-4x24, because I see no value whatsoever in paying for more than 4x for a straight tube DG scope (my wife has a PG barrel & scope, so dual purpose was not a factor), and because at 470 grams / 16.6 oz. it makes the 9.3 configuration exactly the same weight as the .270 configuration, at 9.2 lbs.

However, I decided on the red dot in order to absolutely guaranty, no matter what, that there will never be a scope-cut episode with the 9.3, which would promptly defeat months of progressive confidence building :cry:

Last edited:
However, I decided on the red dot in order to absolutely guaranty, no matter what, that there will never be a scope-cut episode with the 9.3, which would promptly defeat months of progressive confidence building :cry:
That's clever, and proactive

IDT the hippo cares what gun he's being shot with, but if .375, use the 350 gr solids (behaves like a .416) or a .416 using 400+ gr. solids.) A side-on shot requires a decent caliber/bullet (it has been done with premium softs,) but a frontal shot absolutely requires solids! What everyone else said above re: head shots (any hot .300-.338 mag using premium bullets i.e. swift a-frames, or a .375 w/ 270-300 gr. same). I recommend solids for outer water experiences, as I've seen some perfectly placed shots result in lost hippos using softs....Their skin IS akin to elephant!

Boa tarde gente!
Aproveitando a pergunta, pretendo caçar hipopótamos em 2022, tenho um Ruger M77 416 Rigby e a munição que tenho é Federal Safari Premium, com balas Bear Claw 400 grãos e Woodleigh 410 grãos sólidos, que devo usar no primeiro tomada? Eu pretendo caçar em terra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross