Accubonds and Africa

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
12,674
Reaction score
18,042
Media
78
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
11
USA/Canada
3
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Who here has used the AB's in Africa? The 165's for .308 are shooting well in my son's Tikka. The most accurate of all the loads I've worked up for him.

Just wondering if anyone has used these for up to Kudu / Gemsbok?
 
I used them on a 7mm/08 in Namibia in 140 gr.several years ago. I was not impressed with their penetration on oryx. I have used them in 225 gr in my 338/06 and was very pleased with them. As I was with Partitions in 225 gr. In 308 I would limit shots to 200 yds or less. I watched my partner use his .308 with Partitions on wildebeest, heartebeest, oryx and eland. I would say it's OK on the first 3 and very marginal on eland beyond 200 yds. Hence my 200 yd limitation on 308. As with any hunting, shot placement is everything but we can't always plan on the landing spot of our shot therefore my feelings of the .308 being the bottom of my "adequate" list for Africa. JMO and worth what you paid for it :-) I won't be taking my 7mm/08 to Africa again. Me, personally, my 30-06 with 180s is my low end for Africa with Partitions or ABs..
 
Use them in a 270, they work fine. Shot a lot with them. One gemsbok did not get through both shoulders, but then a 375 on the trip didn't either. Did get through two eland.
 
Use them in a 270, they work fine. Shot a lot with them. One gemsbok did not get through both shoulders, but then a 375 on the trip didn't either. Did get through two eland.

Just to make sure I didn't misunderstand, a .270 AB got passthrough on eland? Or was that the .375?
 
A 270 does the job. I only use my 375 on DG, the law, it has only shot 4 critters. Have several thousand animals with the 270 pointed with Nosler and have only lost one impala. 95% fall where they were standing.
Just to make sure I didn't misunderstand, a .270 AB got passthrough on eland? Or was that the .375?
 
I use Accubonds in my wifes 7mag (160gr) and my 338 Win Mag.(180gr) Excellent bullets. Extremely accurate and hold together well. Couldn't ask for any more out of a bullet.

Game taken with 160gr Accubond:
Numerous whitetail and exotics
Feral hogs
Waterbuck
Impala(2)
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest (2)
Baboon
Bushbuck
Kudu
 
A 270 does the job. I only use my 375 on DG, the law, it has only shot 4 critters. Have several thousand animals with the 270 pointed with Nosler and have only lost one impala. 95% fall where they were standing.

Thanks you just helped make up my mind as to which gun to carry on my next trip. Now I have to decide which 270 the belgium 98 or the Browning Euro Bolt. what size bullet do you recommend for up to Eland size Game?
 
I like the 150gr, sometimes can only get 140. I like to watch Shooters Pro Shop for blems, they are about half the price of the stores. Freight is flat rate so I build inventory when they are in.

Thanks you just helped make up my mind as to which gun to carry on my next trip. Now I have to decide which 270 the belgium 98 or the Browning Euro Bolt. what size bullet do you recommend for up to Eland size Game?
 
Thank you gentlemen! It seems the rifle has picked the bullet and it has chosen well.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,284
Messages
1,570,598
Members
168,913
Latest member
JanaHollwa
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top