Reaction score
Website
www.texasquail.com
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
Hello all.
I have been preparing for my first ever trip to S. Africa. I'm spending a few weeks with friends and will be hunting for 20-25 days.

To that end I've been looking for optics since I'm a long range hunter generally and none of what I own is appropriate for dangerous game hunting. In searching the web for reviews on various 1-4x and 1-6x scopes I found this site.

Lots of good reading here on the subject of course and apparently more than a handful of guys that definitely know their business. I've only been reading here for a few days and have gained a wealth of good information.

Thanks Guys!

I'm a 52yo Texan who's made his living for a couple of decades as a guide and outfitter and I raise and train German Shorthairs.

The most "dangerous game" I've hunted so far are big wild hogs here in Texas and I've had a few bear encounters in New Mexico and Colorado so this trip to Africa is probably going to be the most interesting and educational thing I've done since I got out of college.

One more time, Thanks Guys, you've been a big help already.

WR

welcome to AH wildrose
20-25 is one great hunt
where will you be hunting ?
enjoy the site , and the African bush

Welcome to AH WildRose! Glad you found us. Please share some pictures of your German Shorthairs, thanks.

Welcome to AH.

The start of your hunting report:
A Texan walks into a bar... in Africa...

Howdy!

Enjoy the hunt!

Welcome to a great community! I second what Jerome said. Let's see some dog pics. I am a poaching Brittany man myself. Got to love our bird dogs...right next to Africa. Good luck with the planing. R.

Welcome to AH WildRose! Glad you found us. Please share some pictures of your German Shorthairs, thanks.
Thanks for the welcome Jerome.

Being a S. African you may well have seen some of them already. Francois VD Walt has three of my dogs and has been breeding them to his fine stock that he's had for many years.

His stud dog "Dollar" is one of my pups. Here is his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MatotolandKennel/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Here is a page from my website that will show you quite a few that we have bred over the years.

http://www.texasquail.com/Dixieland's_Rusty_Continues.htm

Bullet%20SA%20Win_01_25_e.jpg

Above is my old Dog Bullett who is responsible for what my dogs have become over the last fifteen years or so.

I can't tell you exactly where we'll be hunting because I don't know. Francois lives in the Witbank area near Kruger National Park and I am his guest. Wherever he says we're going that's where you'll find me! HA!!

Attachments

• Bullet SA Win_01_25_e.jpg
    Bullet SA Win_01_25_e.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 142
Welcome to AH.

The start of your hunting report:
A Texan walks into a bar... in Africa...
Well I was going to put... "A Texan Walks Into a Bar... . And wakes up in Africa!!!"

But it wouldn't fit.:LOL:

Welcome to a great community! I second what Jerome said. Let's see some dog pics. I am a poaching Brittany man myself. Got to love our bird dogs...right next to Africa. Good luck with the planing. R.
Funny you should mention Brit's... .

JohahAAwinCNBC10-2-10.jpg

This is my wife's dog "Jonah". He is actually how we met. One of the most amazing animals I've ever had my hands on.

Attachments

• JohahAAwinCNBC10-2-10.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 123
Thank you so much for sharing, I love hunting dogs and truly enjoyed browsing through your entire website and looking at the countless beautiful dogs. They seems as passionate as you are for them then they are for hunting!

You will love Africa, enjoy every moment of it, the time always passes so quickly… and in the mean time don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Welcome and best of luck in RSA. It gets in the blood and that is all you want to do is plan the next safari! Give us a good report when you return.
Regards from a fellow Texan,
Philip

Funny you should mention Brit's... .

This is my wife's dog "Jonah". He is actually how we met. One of the most amazing animals I've ever had my hands on.
That's so nice to hear that he brought you both together! They really are great little devils! I've shared the highest highs and lowest lows with mine. Best shooting partner I could ask for while pursuing our grouse and woodcock here.

You hunt quail with yours?

R.

Love your dogs .
I have not been hunting without a dog , (good & bad ) for years .
They are the best company in the bush you can get .
Enjoy this site and all its characters !
Welcome .

Howdy Wildrose,

Fellow Texan here! Welcome! You will love Africa..... Like you hunted Texas my whole life.... Africa was my greatest hunting experience. Love the shorthairs! Is Wildrose kennels yours? If so, your reputation precedes you! Heard great things.

That's so nice to hear that he brought you both together! They really are great little devils! I've shared the highest highs and lowest lows with mine. Best shooting partner I could ask for while pursuing our grouse and woodcock here.

You hunt quail with yours?

R.
I've got a real soft spot for the breed. I have judged hundreds of them in field trials here in the US and growing up 2 of my dad's best friends and hunting partners were Britt owners.

I've hunted pheasant, three species of quail, Chukar, and Hungarian Partridge behind them.

Jonah was very special. He was only about 10 months old when we married so he grew up thinking he was a Shorthair.

He was without a doubt both one of the smartest and most athletic dogs I have ever seen. He won everything from walking trials to horseback All Age Stakes running with "the big dogs".

We decided to give him to one of my clients who was starting out in the trial game and had the time and resources to really show him off around the country.

Without a doubt he is one of those "once in a lifetime" kind of dogs.

Howdy Wildrose,

Fellow Texan here! Welcome! You will love Africa..... Like you hunted Texas my whole life.... Africa was my greatest hunting experience. Love the shorthairs! Is Wildrose kennels yours? If so, your reputation precedes you! Heard great things.
Thanks. For better or worse that's me! I'm a cantakerous old grouch but people put up with me because they love my dogs.

Thank you so much for sharing, I love hunting dogs and truly enjoyed browsing through your entire website and looking at the countless beautiful dogs. They seems as passionate as you are for them then they are for hunting!

You will love Africa, enjoy every moment of it, the time always passes so quickly… and in the mean time don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
I'm sure I will. I spent a bit of time there many moons ago when I was in uniform. Saw just enough of the best and worse Africa had to offer to know that someday I'd want to come back.

I happened to know a family from the RSA who had moved to Clovis New, Mexico when I was in high school as well. I became fast friends with their kids who were my age. Fantastic people.

I've also become friends with Alex McDonald and will be very much looking forward to finally meeting he and the family in person. They have been as welcoming and helpful to me as anyone could be. Sandy is a longtime friend of Fracois and they just treated me like family from the first Hello.

Francois and I have become like family, if you ever shake his hand I'm sure you'll have a friend for life. He's just that kind of guy.

This will be my first actual vacation since 1978 so you can bet I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

Welcome to AH Wildrose! Those are some Beautiful dogs. Maybe you can join us in Dallas next year for our AH dinner. Enjoy the site and looking forward to hearing all about your hunt, get lots of pics for us.

Welcome and enjoy!

PS: have you any experience with gun shy dogs? I have a couple beagles and the male is terrified. I would really appreciate any advice.

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg