A simple battery for a first go at African hunting

450/400Jeffery in Zimbabwe is legal.
Shot Placement: minimum caliber for buffalo 9,3 x 62 or .375H&H. Recommended caliber: any 400's, .416Rigby, .416 Remington .404Jeffery or .458Win.

i am contemplating an African trip. I would like to hunt buffalo in central Namibia and gemsbok in the
Kalahari. I would also like to take some advantage of bird shooting as available.

My plan for the battery is:

- 7mm RM with Leupold 2-7 scope and use 160 gun Bitteroot bonded core bullets
- .404 Jeffery on a Mauser action with 1.5 - 5X scope and 400 grn. Woodleigh solids and softs
- Browning Superposed 20 gauge IC/Mod.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing something?

Any help appreciated.
Welcome and yes you are on the right track! Learn to shoot both well off sticks and you ahead of 90% of first timers.
Philip

Welcome to AH Mike.

You are on the right track with you 7mm that is well known to you and in which you have faith. Every year i put a number of wildebeest, kudu, zebra and other large plains game in the salt with 160gr Nosler Partitions from a 7x57, and likewise for my clients, as it is one of my loaner rifles. Ditto for my other 7x57 and 175gr Woodleighs. There are no plainsgame walking around in Namibia or SA for that matter that can’t be taken with a good quality 7mm bullet. I would also recommend 175gr A-frames, but if you can’t get them to work no animal is going to question the 15gr difference.

The .404 is perfect for your buffalo. Cant choose a better rifle if you shoot it well. I’d be interested to hear more about it - custom build, what action, etc etc.

I’ll take a 16 or 20 every single day over a 12 for sandgrouse, but living here I have the luxury to buy my ammo, even load if there is a shortage, and cart it off to the shoot. Unless you can pre-purchase a case or three 20Ga ammo from one of the Windhoek stores and confirm they have stock, or even have your PH collect it, 12Ga definitely carries much less risk ito not getting ammunition.

DeWald -- The .404 build is just about to start. I am meeting with gunbuilder Reto Buehler in a few days to nail down the details. The action will be a left hand, double square bridge Mauser from Granite Mountain Arms, a good match grade barrel (23" - 24"), it will have QD scope mounts with a Leupold VX-III 2.5 - 5X scope. express sights with the front having a flip up for low light shooting if needed. I am considering some type of ghost ring rear as well if it can be accommodated with the scope. Not sure on the ghost ring, but I am more comfortable with an aperture rear sight because I grew up shooting with a peep.

I have a nice rifle blank of French walnut that I have been saving for many years and expect Reto to fashion a classic, English-style express rifle with a 4 round magazine. Granite Mountain makes one-piece bottom metal that incorporates the magazine box, which is fitted to carry and feed the specific cartridge specified. Looking at the .404, I expect that the shape will provide smooth feeding when needed.

For me - a left hand shooter - the choice was between Granite Mountain Mauser and Dakota. I want a reliable rifle. I have done some big game hunting in USA, Canada and Mexico, but I have never been to Africa or hunted any dangerous game. SO I am a rank beginner. At this time I have little interest in hunting elephants, Hippos, or cats but am focused on buffalo and plains game, especially Oryx and Sable.

I hope that the .404 magazine rifle will be a flexible tool and easy to carry and shoot. I think that 9 to 9-1/4 lbs is a good weight for a large bore rifle. This is a compromise between 'carry-ability' and recoil management. Does this sound like a workable plan?

I considered a double rifle, too, as I have a number of SxS shotguns and have done a lot of bird shooting with my SxS guns. But in the end I was seduced by the sleek English express rifles that I have seen and handled.

BTW, I usually shoot a 16 gauge SxS for birds behind my setters and would love to take a 16 to Namibia, but can I get ammo for the 16 there?

Just as an aside, is the 450/400 legal for buffalo in South Africa and Zimbabwe?

Yes and is probably the best caliber for Cape buffalo in a double rifle. Low in recoil and very effective.....

Good advice already provided but I would not shy away from 3 guns. Take an o/u shotgun in a takedown americase. They are very compact and nothing like hauling a second pelican along.

DeWald -- The .404 build is just about to start. I am meeting with gunbuilder Reto Buehler in a few days to nail down the details. The action will be a left hand, double square bridge Mauser from Granite Mountain Arms, a good match grade barrel (23" - 24"), it will have QD scope mounts with a Leupold VX-III 2.5 - 5X scope. express sights with the front having a flip up for low light shooting if needed. I am considering some type of ghost ring rear as well if it can be accommodated with the scope. Not sure on the ghost ring, but I am more comfortable with an aperture rear sight because I grew up shooting with a peep.

I have a nice rifle blank of French walnut that I have been saving for many years and expect Reto to fashion a classic, English-style express rifle with a 4 round magazine. Granite Mountain makes one-piece bottom metal that incorporates the magazine box, which is fitted to carry and feed the specific cartridge specified. Looking at the .404, I expect that the shape will provide smooth feeding when needed.

For me - a left hand shooter - the choice was between Granite Mountain Mauser and Dakota. I want a reliable rifle. I have done some big game hunting in USA, Canada and Mexico, but I have never been to Africa or hunted any dangerous game. SO I am a rank beginner. At this time I have little interest in hunting elephants, Hippos, or cats but am focused on buffalo and plains game, especially Oryx and Sable.

I hope that the .404 magazine rifle will be a flexible tool and easy to carry and shoot. I think that 9 to 9-1/4 lbs is a good weight for a large bore rifle. This is a compromise between 'carry-ability' and recoil management. Does this sound like a workable plan?

I considered a double rifle, too, as I have a number of SxS shotguns and have done a lot of bird shooting with my SxS guns. But in the end I was seduced by the sleek English express rifles that I have seen and handled.

BTW, I usually shoot a 16 gauge SxS for birds behind my setters and would love to take a 16 to Namibia, but can I get ammo for the 16 there?

Mike that sounds like a dream .404 in the making, ticking all the boxes. I too am a sucker for a light slim English bolter. Weight is also spot on. I’ve shot a 9Lbs .404 made for Fereday and Sons of Rhodesia and it is not to light. My own Gibbs .450-400 3&1/4” also weighs just under 10 pounds, and the recoil is negligible.

You will in theory find 16Ga ammo in Namibia, just confirm and secure it beforehand. I have a little Belgian 16Ga S/S boxlock, probably worth less than a case of beer, but weighing in at just 6 Lbs 1 oz and she fits me perfectly. I took a number of Namaqua and Orange river Sandgrouse with that gun whilst still living in the Northern Cape.

Nevada Mike, It looks like you've done you homework re. the building of a 404 Jeffery. Just about all of my firearms except for a Hyem built Mouser in 375 H&H, a couple of Sako(s) and my Swedish Mausers are Winchesters or Remingtons. I was totally unfamiliar with Granite Mountain so I just looked them up, their actions seem to be the real deal, a French Walnut stock and a gunsmith that has been around the block a couple of times. Should make for heck of a 404 Jeffery. Please keep us posted. Just for giggles I'm re-posting a copy of a target I shot last week with my converted Winchester (now a 404 Jeffery.) Yours without a doubt will shoot better. This is three shots at 50 yds. with a cheap 4 power scope.

DSCN1707.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Obviously you have already made up you mind as to what you are bring for your first romp into Africa.

On my first I took two 03's one chambered in 06 and the other in 458. Both still in military configuration with no scopes. I did well. That was almost 50 years ago.

Have fun!

Am I on the right track? Am I missing something?

Any help appreciated.

You are on the right track! and fine choices for firearms/bullets. Practice and shoot off sticks during regular range sessions between now and trip. Also, practice racking and reloading the 404 as fast as you can... trying to simulate doing so under stress and while running. If you hunt eland they are large and can be tough- so be prepared to use the 404 for some of the larger plains game like eland. If you hunt sand grouse, be prepared for fast, incoming action. Good luck!

DeWalt -- Many thanks for your reply. Now I'm thinking that I might bring my favorite 16 ga. bird gun.

I will try to post here when the .404 is ready. Reto says about 18 months to complete. Starting later this week!

And I want to thank everyone who posted here for their insight and interest. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
As others have said, much better to go with a 7mm mag you know well than something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaneCardi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!